GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 642 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,789
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,351
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,569
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike's Music Muzings: Miles Davis #123954
08/16/05 10:55 AM
08/16/05 10:55 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
He's the undisputed king of jazz. The man that was consistantly at the fore front of the Jazz revolution, the pioneer of Fussion Jazz, the main attraction of some of the greatest musical albums albums ever (Kind of Blue, The Birth of Cool, Bitches Brew) and a personal surivor of drug addiction. Of course, this is Miles Davis.

In a time where R&B and Rock were dominating the airwaves only a few men stood and made their own niche, and Davis was one of them. He single handedly changed the way we listened to Jazz. "Kind of Blue" is one of the only albums which i can truly consider a work of an artist. "So What" is a jazz, catchy tune. Yet it's later in the album with tracks like "Blue in Green" and "Flamingo Sketches" that the evocative sense of loneliness takes true form. It's so breathtaking that one listen alone with render it invaluable to any listener.

Other albums like "Birth of Cool" pronounce the Decleration of INdependence from swing and the new movement towards the small jazz bands headed by revolutionaries like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie and Davis later on.

Davis' band amoung others produced a musician by the name of John Coltrain, but more of him at a later date.

Davis' trumpet is like Goodman's clarinet or Sinatra's vocal chords, they speak of truth and pain and glee.

It would be entirley inapropriate of me if I had never meantioned him. Later on: Duke Ellington.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Miles Davis #123955
08/17/05 03:39 AM
08/17/05 03:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Davis probably was the most influential jazz musician of the Fifties and Sixties (although Coltrane ran him a good second). We had "Sketches of Spain" and practically wore off the grooves.
In the early Sixties, we regularly saw jazz at the Village Gate and Village Vanguard in NYC. Saw many greats, including Dizzy, Nina Simone, MJQ, Eric Dolphy, Monk, etc. Alas, never saw Miles.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Miles Davis #123956
08/17/05 10:47 AM
08/17/05 10:47 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Yet again Sully, you produce another column hit!

Miles Davis was one of a kid, truely an icon for his time and music. At least he got mentioned with honor in Michael Mann's COLLATERAL.

Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Miles Davis #123957
08/17/05 06:22 PM
08/17/05 06:22 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
Well I'm just glad that some folks responded to my thread. Indeed, from the early 1950's to the 1970's Davis was at the edge of jazz innovation.

I'd love to of been able to see him in a jam session around the time of "Kind of Blue". Wow, what a band he had setduring that time.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull