GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Liggio, Kangaroo Don), 682 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,668
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,488
Posts1,061,830
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ideal Don: Micheal or Vito? #16353
07/14/04 05:26 PM
07/14/04 05:26 PM
Oklahoma
M
Marcos Offline OP
Associate
Marcos  Offline OP
M
Associate
Oklahoma
On the website Slate.msn there was a discussion on whether or not Tony Soprano was a good mob boss (the site reviewed every Soprano episode in discussion format the day after they aired). One of the guys asked Jerry Shargel (I think, represented Peter Gotti and other mob guys as a lawyer) who he thought was the ideal mob boss.

His response was Micheal Corleone. This seemed to annoy the person asking the question because he wanted a real person as an example, but then I started to think, was Micheal really a great Don?

In some ways, obviously he was, but after watching the Godfather movies over again in the last few days I think he was terribly flawed by being not nearly human enough and too cold. I would have personally said Don Vito was a better boss because, while he never established the wealth that Mike did, he seemed to be a much more loved man, while still having respect and fear. Mike seemed somewhat unwilling to listen to reason in part 2 and the end of part 1.

Anyway, this came about because Shargel said that from his experience he felt Tony Soprano was not boss material.

Any thought on Don Vito vs. Don Micheal?

Re: Ideal Don: Micheal or Vito? #16354
07/14/04 05:31 PM
07/14/04 05:31 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Don Vito
He was more traditional and always kept a calm head. Under Micheal the family just flew aprt after Vito died.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Ideal Don: Micheal or Vito? #16355
07/14/04 06:57 PM
07/14/04 06:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Vito's always the sentimental favorite on these boards--"nice," "family man," "grants favors," etc. Michael is "cold," "ruthless," "killed his own brother," "lost his family," etc. Strip away the sentimentality and...
--Vito was a big fish in a relatively small pond (NYC Mafia in the Forties). Michael was a whale in the world's oceans: he was the top Mob guy in the country, was maneuvering to take over gambling in Cuba, and even in III, when he was supposedly "out," was moving to control the Vatican Bank and Int'l Immobiliare. He big off a much larger chunk than Vito.
--Michael constantly won battles but lost wars, losing his brother, his wife and his beloved daughter, died alone, attended by a dog. All because of his lust for power. But Vito lost his oldest son and saw his youngest son, on whom he placed his hopes for family legitimacy, dragged into the Mafia because of Vito's mistakes and actions.
I say neither of them was an "ideal" Don.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Ideal Don: Micheal or Vito? #16356
07/14/04 07:38 PM
07/14/04 07:38 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I would say Vito, only because he realized that your family is what's most important. Michael was the better Don as far as expanding family power and dealing with threats, but IMO he took it to the extreme by losing focus of WHY he did what he did (i.e. to make life better for his family).

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Ideal Don: Micheal or Vito? #16357
07/14/04 08:54 PM
07/14/04 08:54 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
As times change so do peoples personalities. During the old days of gambling and liquor DOn Vito was the perfect DOn. During the days of drugs and dirty politicians Michael is a better Don.

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull