GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Lou_Para, furio_from_naples, 2 invisible), 690 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,497
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,445
Posts1,061,078
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Batman Begins #115920
06/18/05 12:36 AM
06/18/05 12:36 AM
world
thug Offline OP
Underboss
thug  Offline OP
Underboss
world
Batman Begins is flawed in the way that all comic book films as of recent are: the transition from comic book to movie is a very rocky one. Tim Burton knew how to get by this by simply making a film rather than an adaptation, but this film still feels like a comic. Because of this Batman Begins suffers from ultra-fast pacing, some bad performances (Katie Holmes' was okay while I actually hated Cillian Murphy's; though, generally, the performances were great), mediocre direction poor dialogue, etc. But this avoids being pretentious while at the same time being serious, emotional, psychological, and almost even intellectual. Bale is a great Batman, and it's a shame that he has to stand in Keaton's shadow, because it keeps me from labelling him as "perfect." It has been noted that some of the action scenes are confusing because Nolan shoots in close-up, but he still manages to craft genuine suspense. Furthermore, and ultimately, this film has an abundance of entertainment. The non-action scenes are all treats because nearly the whole cast is great (save, as I mentioned, Holmes and Murphy) and serve more of a purpose than just spending time to await a culmination action sequence. And the action scenes--confusing, they may be--are among the most thrilling in the history of action cinema.

**** out of ****

For me, this is the best film of the year so far because it is among the few to actually know what it wants to achieve and doesn't get lost along the way. I can't see myself having more fun at the movies this year; and, if that doesn't motivate you to see this, the film is an interesting rumination of memory, the key theme of Nolan's career thus far.

So, has anybody else seen this yet?

Thug

"I could dance with you until the cows come home...on second thought I'd rather dance with the cows when you come home."

Groucho Marx - Duck Soup

--------------------

Everyone Join The New Film Boards! http://moviefan.proboards20.com
Re: Batman Begins #115921
06/18/05 01:17 AM
06/18/05 01:17 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I've seen it, and actually.....I agree with you on Holmes, but disagree on Murphy.

Really, why do people still cling onto Tim Burton's original overrated BATMAN movie? Fact is, BATMAN BEGINS is superior and in fact may be the greatest comic book adaptation of all time.

Speaking of which, I think Keaton is in Bale's shadow now. Keaton was a good Bruce Wayne, but as Batman...I never believed him in that stiff foam rubber suit. Then again, I bought Bale for sure. He IS Batman, and don't forget it!

While I agree that Nolan needs work on his action-directing, he'll improve overtime when he does a sequel(and unless a fluke occurs, there WILL be a sequel folks). Anyway, I liked that in many scenes, you don't actually see him at all, which as a guy that grew up reading on BATMAN, it was perfect.

Finally, Nolan makes Bale as Batman something that quite frankly Burton could never do....make him frightening.

Speaking of which...Bad Directing? Friend, if you want to see some bad direction, just check out Michael Bay's THE ISLAND next month. The man behind PEARL HARBOR and ARMAGGEDON can't direct worth a shit. Nolan did a splendid job methinks with BEGINS.

You know, what is the last time you've seen a summer blockbuster movie where you WANT to see a sequel?

Other thoughts....solid screenplay by David Goyer which then Nolan re-wrote to his fancy...Supporting cast, including Murphy, all which are totally fun, including Denmark/BLADE RUNNER's own Rutger Hauer as the slimeball CEO...Besides explaining how Batman got his Batmobile, the Batcave, his suit, his helmet, etc, it even explained how he was able to ship the materials to his placfe he needed for his schtick without anyone noticing...generic yet serviceble score. Finally, I hated the title. BATMAN BEGINS is a damn lame title, and I wish I could time travel back to 1989 and replace that decent-if-overrated Tim Burton film with this.

Final Film Rating - **** out of 5

"Tim Burton knew how to get by this by simply making a film rather than an adaptation, but this film still feels like a comic."

Huh? Want some advice friend? Take that movie, that lame dated-as-hell Prince song, and everything about it...and just flush it down the toilet. Really, This is the only true BATMAN movie yet. Really, you'll feel better.

Other than that, I agree this is easily the best movie of the summer(though SIN CITY really was not a summer movie, but more back in Spring, but you get my point) and really, this is uplifting from the mediocre movie that was REVENGE OF THE SITH, which did absolutely nothing for me.

Re: Batman Begins #115922
06/18/05 02:04 PM
06/18/05 02:04 PM
world
thug Offline OP
Underboss
thug  Offline OP
Underboss
world
I think the 1989 Batman was a great movie, but prefer Batman Begins. I was really refering to Batman Returns in the post above. I made a post about it being a masterpiece over at the MovieFan boards.

I never said bad directing (or did I?) but mediocre direction. Nolan is not able to do anything with visuals to make them memorable or beautiful. As a director, I find him just average. I believe he is a much better screenwriter than a director.

Thug

"I could dance with you until the cows come home...on second thought I'd rather dance with the cows when you come home."

Groucho Marx - Duck Soup

--------------------

Everyone Join The New Film Boards! http://moviefan.proboards20.com
Re: Batman Begins #115923
06/18/05 03:33 PM
06/18/05 03:33 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Thanks for clarifying some things.

Re: Batman Begins #115924
06/23/05 10:38 PM
06/23/05 10:38 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
I hope all these good reviews don't ruin my viewing of it. I'm putting it off until I finish the older movies.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull