GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (MeyerLansky, 1 invisible), 703 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,583
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,537
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,460
Posts1,061,317
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ella Fitzgerald #114740
06/08/05 10:05 PM
06/08/05 10:05 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
I know we have many Frank Sinatra fans on ths form (I count myself as one of the biggest of them) however I wanted to meantion anothe Jazz vocalist who I think is the greatest of the female vocalists (maybe Judy Garland rivals her). I am not a big fan of Ella but then again I haven't heard much of her work. Her most memorable performances however came for her amazing SongBook Albums.

You've gotta love her definative performance of "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye".

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Ella Fitzgerald #114741
06/08/05 11:36 PM
06/08/05 11:36 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
She's one of my favorite artists of all time. Her voice is as smooth as silk, just beautiful. You mentioned Judy Garland, but I don't think she even comes close.

I prefer when Ella doesn't throw scat-singing into her songs, although that's one of the things she's known best for. But the do-be-do-wap-bap-bap aside, she's got one of the greatest voices ever, and she's had some of the best material to work with, too.

One of my favorite songs she sings is Cole Porter's Miss Otis Regrets. The dark humor in the lyrics is so great, and Ella adds so much to it with this sorrowful quality in her voice. It's one of the instances where combination of the lyrics, the voice, and the singer's interpretation of the music are just perfect.

Love is Here to Stay is another one of my favorites, and Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye as you mentioned, is also great. Her version of Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered is one of the best ever recorded. And don't forget I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm. I also love Hooray for Love, which is such a fun song. How High the Moon and Blue Skies are really great too.

Usually, I can't listen to too much of Louis Armstrong when he's just singing by himself, but the duets he has with Ella are just so good. They're such a perfect pair to sing together, because it's such a contrast between her clean, smooth voice and his rough and gravelly voice. It's one of those combinations that wakes up your brain, somehow.

A few months ago, maybe in December, they were showing a performance on TV by Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen... they sounded so good, and they were so cute together, joking around and being very casual. I can't remember if it was from the time she was on "The Frank Sinatra Show" or if it was a different concert altogether.

Re: Ella Fitzgerald #114742
06/08/05 11:42 PM
06/08/05 11:42 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
I belive it was on "The Frank Sinatra Show". I've seen the performance you are talking about.

Her preformance of "Summertime" with Louis Armstrong is truly a spine tingling performance and I've also head clips of "Miss Otis Regrets". I downloaded the song just now actually and am currently listening to it. Such a haunting voice and melody.

I'm going to get her "Songbook" albums starting off with the Cole Porter songbook.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Ella Fitzgerald #114743
06/09/05 08:55 AM
06/09/05 08:55 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I've been a fan of Ella's for about 20 years and never cease to be amazed at her vocal abilities. There was a bio of her recently on our PBS station during one of those 'pledge' weeks and I was in heaven for the hour it lasted.

Made sure my 6-yr old knew who she was as well!! She might not care for this music once she's grown up...but she's sure as hell going to know who Ella, Sinatra, Callas, Streisand, Rosemary Clooney, Dean Martin and Billie Holiday are (to name just a few)!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Ella Fitzgerald #114744
06/09/05 12:56 PM
06/09/05 12:56 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
See, the problem with today's youth I find is that we just haven't been exposed to the Great American Songbook. Most people haven't heard of Cole Porter or George Gershwin, or Rodgers and Hammerstein. Their idea of a great song doesn't inolved love, it's all about sex, drugs, etc.

I'm 16 years old at the moment and I get quite a bit of scrutiny for my tastes in music and the arts but thank god my Grandmother exposed me to Siantra, Fitzgerald and Nat Cole.

Expect me to post threads for Nat Cole, Frank Sinatra (Who deleted my old thread?), Glenn Miller and other artists from the '30's, '40's, and '50's.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull