GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 456 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,896
Members10,349
Most Online992
04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103098
03/16/05 12:38 PM
03/16/05 12:38 PM
Big Daddy Don Offline OP
Sugar Daddy
Big Daddy Don  Offline OP
Sugar Daddy
Underboss
I have been kicking around the idea of getting satellite radio for awhile, however just couldn't get past the concept of actually paying each month for service for listening to a radio. With a new job starting soon - I will find myself on the road more so I finally took the plunge, so to say. I purchased a plug and play tuner that came with a car and home kit, meaning I can take it from the car to the house and play through my stereo. I opted for the Sirius service provider.

Only had it for days but all I can say is 'it's da bomb!!!' I mean for anyone that enjoys music and such it is great. I can only speak from a Sirius side, not sure what XM offers but there are 120 stations, 60 of them music and they are broken down by categorgies and genre's per station, for example they have a 70's channel - all the great songs from the 70's, same with 60's, 80's etc. Have what they call the Classic Vinyl stations with a lot of the old 'rock' classic songs. They have multiple Jazz stations, from smooth to contemporary jazz, RB, top hits, Slow Ballards and all time R&B classics (Motown style) - and all without commercials. The have comedy stations (some uncensored and funny as hell), News, Sports Talk, an NFL only sports talk and even a Maxim radio station. Problem is there is so much to listen to it makes choosing difficult.

So all this time of struggling on whether to buy it or not I am not kicking myself for not getting it sooner. As I said, getting past the concept of paying for radio was tough but it is really excellent - makes my time in the car now much more enjoyable and that is all I seem to play in the house now. Of course it is still a bit of a novelty but so far it is great.

Anyone else have satellite radio and if so what are your thoughts?

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103099
03/16/05 12:47 PM
03/16/05 12:47 PM
New Mexico, USA
La Dolce Vita Offline
Underboss
La Dolce Vita  Offline
Underboss
New Mexico, USA
I actually got an XM radio boombox for Christmas - I use it in the house but it is portable. I love all the choices of stations on there!

I will be buying a new SUV very soon and the specs on the model I am getting include XM Satellite radio. The boombox monthly bill is being picked up by the giver of the gift so I will just have pay for the car one.

I'm still learning about it, but I seriously don't mind paying for things I like and use often.

I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve -
I have a history of taking off my shirt.....
Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103100
03/16/05 01:13 PM
03/16/05 01:13 PM
Big Daddy Don Offline OP
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Daddy
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by La Dolce Vita:
I actually got an XM radio boombox for Christmas....

The boombox monthly bill is being picked up by the giver of the gift so I will just have pay for the car one.
I would have to believe XM and Sirius are pretty close in what they have to offer. Not sure how XM works but I know with Sirius when you get the second for your car you can save on the monthly costs for the second tuner - adding a second one is half the price. However since the 'giver of the gift' is picking up the bill not sure how that works out, maybe they can pick up both. I am guess the giver was Crabby - maybe she will pick up my monthly bill also - I paid for a year service so you save a month.

One other thing is that with Sirius I can listen to it via the Internet also. So far the streaming audio is getting past our firewalls so I am enjoying it while I can - not sure if XM offers the same but something you might want to look into, it is free with the service (with Sirius).

So .... what station (or type of station) do you find yourself listening to the most ?

Me - RB classics, 70's and 80's, a smooth Jazz and the uncensored comedy. Although I keep wanting to listen to the Maxim station, I just keep forgetting it is available.

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103101
03/16/05 01:18 PM
03/16/05 01:18 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Don:
. I am guess the giver was Crabby -
Gee, thanks Bad Daddy. Now the "I'm Crabby" hat and shot glass I gave her looks pretty lame.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103102
03/16/05 03:47 PM
03/16/05 03:47 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
My parents do. I have Sirius now but it's comedy stations are shit compared to XM's comedy. Sirius also has the Wiseguy Show with Pussy from the Sopranos.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103103
03/16/05 08:04 PM
03/16/05 08:04 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
True Story. Last year I leased a new car and the salesman asked me if I wanted to subscribe to XM Satellite Radio. I looked at him cockeyed and said to him " Are you joking me? Pay for radio? No way!" So he tells me that he is going to give me a free three month subscription to it and that after 3 months I can cancel it. Ok, 3 free months, why not I thought. Then I would cancel it. Well let me tell you something. After two weeks with it I called up the company and paid for a year up front! It is really great. Especially if you use your car everyday as I do to travel back and forth to work. Now this year they have added MLB to their lineup! Every MLB team. I also like the idea that if I am watching something on TV, say Fox News for example, and in the middle of a show I have to go somewhere, I can get in the car and put the Fox News Channel on and continue to listen to what I just was watching on TV! I highly recommend XM Satellite Radio!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103104
03/16/05 08:18 PM
03/16/05 08:18 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I got XM radio for Christmas, but have yet to set it up in my car or activate it. (I guess if I'm going to, I should before the April price increase )

I'd rather have an in-home or portable version as I don't drive that much -- I'm not sure what to do yet...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103105
03/16/05 10:06 PM
03/16/05 10:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I got XM radio for Christmas, but have yet to set it up in my car or activate it. (I guess if I'm going to, I should before the April price increase )

I'd rather have an in-home or portable version as I don't drive that much -- I'm not sure what to do yet...
Don Malta,

You may be able to lock in the 9.99 a month rate if you are willing to pay a full year up front. Otherwise it costs $12.99 a month in quarterly payments. You should call and inquire.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103106
03/16/05 10:12 PM
03/16/05 10:12 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
I have two XM receivers. The SkyFi2, and portable MyFi. I rarely listen to FM anymore. XM has much better and advanced equipment than Sirius. Programming wise, each company has it advantages.

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103107
03/17/05 05:07 PM
03/17/05 05:07 PM
Big Daddy Don Offline OP
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Daddy
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
Gee, thanks Bad Daddy. Now the "I'm Crabby" hat and shot glass I gave her looks pretty lame.
No problem - actually she told me in a PM that the Crabby hat and shot glasses are some of her most cherished possessions. She only wishes she can remember where she put them. :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
After two weeks with it I called up the company and paid for a year up front! It is really great. Especially if you use your car everyday as I do to travel back and forth to work.
I hear you - it is one of those things that hearing about it doesn't sound like something you would do but once you have it you never want to get rid of it. And regarding listening to it in the car, today was a perfect example. I had to go up past the Valley Forge area for work. Valley Forge one of the historic sites in our history - yet as I sat in traffic, it is easy how you don't give a rat's ass about any historical significance you just want to get the frig out of the traffic. But with enough great stuff to listen to it made it somewhat bearable.

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I got XM radio for Christmas, but have yet to set it up in my car or activate it.
C'mon your cheap bastid - a big hot shot talk show celebrity as yourself now - worrying about a few dollars per month. I bet if you take up a collection the users on the board can help you out.

So seems I am the only one with Sirius ? Truth be told I didn't really know the difference between that and XM - I leaned toward Sirius cause Stern is moving over next year and I do listen to him on occasion. In any event since I don't know much about XM - I am thoughly happy with Sirius. Maybe it is nice to not know what I am missing ....

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103108
03/17/05 05:18 PM
03/17/05 05:18 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Don:
C'mon your cheap bastid - a big hot shot talk show celebrity as yourself now - worrying about a few dollars per month. I bet if you take up a collection the users on the board can help you out.

It's not the money. Not entirely, anyway! :p It's just that 1) I keep forgetting I have it, 2) I haven't been too excited about the prospect of installing it in the car cuz it's cold out, 3) I'm thinking about an in-home adapter since I'd listen to it more here than in the car, 4) I'm thinking of replacing it with an MP3 player for the gym but still undecided and too cheap to get both, 5) I still want to compare programming on XM vs Sirius, 6) I'm a cheap bastard!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103109
03/17/05 05:27 PM
03/17/05 05:27 PM
Big Daddy Don Offline OP
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Daddy
Underboss
JG - do you have a plug and play tuner ? That is the way to go IMO. You can take it in the car or take in in house - there is a small base in the car and a separate one for the house that connects directly to your stereo ? They even have a separate boom box that it can snap into. And installing it is a piece of cake, you run the antennia and plug into the lighter. Took me about 15 minutes to run the antennia.

If you have a dashboard unit - than yes that takes a lot more work. To compare goto Sirius online and you can get a guest pass and listen on-line for three days. Give you a feel for what they offer, maybe XM does the same.

Re: Satellite Radio - anyone have it ? #103110
03/17/05 11:42 PM
03/17/05 11:42 PM
NJ transplant in Wisconsin
Johnny Stiltz Offline
Made Member
Johnny Stiltz  Offline
Made Member
NJ transplant in Wisconsin
XM is the one to get -i reccommend it

Got it for Christmas -cant stop listening to it

Johnny Stiltz