GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 736 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,959
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,668
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,488
Posts1,061,821
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How was Clemenza killed? #9496
06/16/04 06:09 PM
06/16/04 06:09 PM
T
TheKillerGFan Offline OP
Wiseguy
TheKillerGFan  Offline OP
T
Wiseguy
I know originally he was supposed to be cast in GF2 and so the death was hashed together. Btw i think pentangelli did a great job in GF2 and nothing was lost in the movie because the last minute switch.

Fredo said it was a heart-attack but cicci and pentangelli said it was no heart-attack, im guessing it had something to do with the Rosato brothers, but i dont know why they take him out if he promised territory to them and they probably knew pentangelli hated them and would resent them for killing clemenza.

Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9497
06/16/04 08:29 PM
06/16/04 08:29 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
The draft script for GFII explains that the Rosato brothers were technically under Clemenza's family, but because of their actions (i.e. Pentangeli's comment that "everything with them is whores.. and (something in Italian).. dope.. and they leave the gambling for last") they caused Clemenza grief and gave him a heart attack.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9498
06/17/04 03:28 AM
06/17/04 03:28 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I watched GF II and I am pretty sure Michael elaborates to tom early on in the script during an exposition saying that the Rosatto brothers killed him. He doesn't outline however, how they killed him or why.

Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9499
06/17/04 03:38 PM
06/17/04 03:38 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
They were under Clemenza's regime, which is now run by Pantangeli.

Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9500
06/18/04 09:57 PM
06/18/04 09:57 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by waynethegame:
...because of their actions (i.e. Pentangeli's comment that "everything with them is whores.. and (something in Italian).. dope.. and they leave the gambling for last") they caused Clemenza grief and gave him a heart attack.
I had never heard that version before, but you can insinuate (sp) that maybe he was killed over a drug deal or something. confused

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9501
06/18/04 11:01 PM
06/18/04 11:01 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
He had a heart attack due to high cholestrol, with his diet. lol

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9502
06/26/04 04:32 PM
06/26/04 04:32 PM
cannoli Offline
Made Member
cannoli  Offline
Made Member
Maybe he went to another wedding, danced a hearty tarantella, guzzled a pitcher of wine, and dropped dead.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9503
06/26/04 05:27 PM
06/26/04 05:27 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
Okay this is from the 9/24/1973 Draft of the Godfather II script. Contains some extra stuff such as Hagen having an affair with Sandra (Sonny's widow). Here's the relevant part about Clemenza's death:

(Scene in Michael's office with Pentangeli complaining about the Rosato brothers)

PENTANGELI
Sure, Pete Clemenza died of a heart attack, but the Rosato Brothers gave it to him.

MICHAEL
We were all heartbroken at the news; but that wasn't cause to start a war.

(Later, Pentangeli meets with the Rosatos.. in this draft he meets with them twice, and the second time is the one where he is garroted. This is the first time.)

One of Pentangeli's men approaches with a plate of Italian food.

Pentangeli stands up, angered by this remark of Rosato's; he pushes the dish of food out of the surprised Bodyguard's hands.

PENTANGELI
You drove old Pete Clemenza to his grave, Carmine; you and your brother. Turning on him; trouble in his territories -- you and your demands. I hold you responsible, just as though you shot him in the head. And I ain't gonna let that go for long!

Hope it helps the debate! smile

Wayne

Don Lucchesi
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9504
06/27/04 08:16 AM
06/27/04 08:16 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Clemenza was killed off in a vague manner (IMO) ON PURPOSE by FFC. That, along with the fact his picture was omitted on the Senate hearing's crime chart, was "payback" for not coming to terms to appear in Part II.

Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9505
08/09/04 12:04 PM
08/09/04 12:04 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
The way Clemenza's character is written out is kind of a continuity flaw in GF II.

He was clearly a major character in GF I, who stayed loyal to the Corleone family even when Tessio rolled over, and Clemenza's acceptance of Michael as Don (kissing his ring) is the key to the final scene of the movie.

Then in GF II, in the flashback sequences, they go to some length to show the importance of Clemenza in Vito's original decision to begin taking part in illegal activities. Clearly Clemenza is a pivotal figure in Vito's career.

But then they go and just write him out - "oh yeah, he died." - and that's it.

Clemenza is then replaced by Pentangeli, a very nearly identical character - "an old trusted family friend" who was Vito's sidekick for years", etc etc.

Yet, in the flashback sequences, we never see a younger Pentangeli. I think they would have been better off doing one of three things:

1) Re-signing Castellano to play Clemenza in GF II;

2) Recasting somebody else as Clemenza; or

3) Also introducing a young Pentangeli in the flashback sequences, and explain why he became to be such a good family friend, etc.

Oh well, just leaves more plot fodder for GF IV... tongue

"You did good."
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9506
08/09/04 01:58 PM
08/09/04 01:58 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
Yeah, that never made sense. FFC knew that Castellano wasn't going to play Clemenza so he rewrote the part for Pentangeli BEFORE shooting GFII, so how hard would it be to show Young Clemenza having Young Pentangeli as a buddy in the flashback scenes? Just a quickie bit when they actually start the Genco Pura Co. of him saying something like "Hey Vito, this is my paisan, Frank Pentangeli. We grew up together in Sicily." (or something like that) would have gone a long way.

Wayne

Don Lucchesi
Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9507
08/09/04 02:58 PM
08/09/04 02:58 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by waynethegame:
...how hard would it be to show Young Clemenza having Young Pentangeli as a buddy in the flashback scenes? ...
And how necessary would this be?

Perhaps we can assume Frankie came onto the picture some time during the 1930's, some time in between Vito's early days pictured in GFII and Connie's wedding which opens The Godfather.

Personally, I never had any problem with not seeing a young Pentangelli introduced; never even thought about it. We do not need every single detail of these people's lives laid out on a table for us.

I enjoy the character of Frankie just as he is written, and never had a consuming need to know the where's/when's/why's of how he became of member of the Corleone Family.

As for Clemenza...after the portrayal of Richard Castellano being embedded in our minds, it would have been a GRAVE mistake to recast his or any other part in GFII. This was not 'Bewitched', or some daytime soap opera where one actor can replace another without missing a beat. If for whatever reasons ($$) the same actors were unavailable for any part, it was very wise of FFC to simply have them written out due to death...and no, the circumstances of those deaths need not be explained.

Same goes for the absence of Tom in GFIII. It would have been a far better movie had Duvall been available to reprise the role. But since he didn't ($$$), the only thing to do was to have Tom be deceased.

Now if only he had chosen someone other than Hamilton to play consiglieri...but that's another thread !!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: How was Clemenza killed? #9508
10/29/04 05:17 PM
10/29/04 05:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I brought this post up to date for the new member JordyAllen to read.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull