GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Giacomo, joepuzzles234), 469 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,979
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88288
01/05/05 05:51 PM
01/05/05 05:51 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
I'm very curious. To all of the religious people on here, and I know that there are many, I'm wondering how you justify such terrible occurances as the Tsuamni.

Can God really be behind this? If so, why? And if not, how and why does he let it happen? What could be his reasoning? If he deliberately made the world like this, then he did a pretty bad job. If he couldn't foresee these disasters, then, as a The Almighty, I should think he should buy himself better foresight, when making worlds in the future.

All of you have doubtlessly prayed to him for the victims (as you rightfully should), but have any of you asked him for an answer as to why this stuff is allowed to happen?

Have any of you lost any faith since this (or because of anything else)?

I intend no offence. Simply curious as to how relgion affects views on these things.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88289
01/05/05 05:59 PM
01/05/05 05:59 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
I definetly lose faith in God each day, but I still believe in him. It's not a perfect world. Even if God wanted it to be, He couldn't stop every negative thing from happening. Since everyone has different opinions, people can question if there is a God with everything. Look at the Holocaust. The Germans thought that what they were doing was right and positive, while the rest of the world thought it was negative. The Germans shouted, "God put us here to do this!" The rest of the world screamed, "How could God let something like this happen?" All opinions can make people question if there is a God.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88290
01/05/05 06:17 PM
01/05/05 06:17 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Im not a religous person,I just think it was horrible incident that we could not Predit/Stop from happening.Lets just hope that there are no more on the way.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88291
01/05/05 10:04 PM
01/05/05 10:04 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DE NIRO:
Im not a religous person,I just think it was horrible incident that we could not Predit/Stop from happening.Lets just hope that there are no more on the way.
Amen to that!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88292
01/06/05 01:17 AM
01/06/05 01:17 AM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
Did God do this? I sort of believe that He just lets the world turn.... the storms will naturally form and do whatever... the ultimate safety net for good people is eternal life anyway so I don't think this needed to be directed by the Almighty.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88293
01/06/05 03:30 AM
01/06/05 03:30 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Capo, I'm not the most religious person here but let me explain my view on this matter. The world is based on rules of nature which has been defined by God. From the smallest particle in this world to the biggest creatures, they act based on these rules. Humans are mortal. That's the rule of nature. Like a leaf in the beginning of spring which is being given life and it dies by fall, a resurrection begins again by next spring. But a leaf can't live forever. We can pray whatever we want but natural events or disasters are parts of this material mortal life that our souls has to endure their grief and burden and the only effective prayer we can say is that those who have left behind be given strength to start over again. These natural disasters, diseases, loss of children or wealth, is the ways that through those souls of people are being tested for faith. If you truly believe in God then, your kids, your wealth, your relatives should all go second compare to God and you should be willing to sacrifice those for God like the way of Abraham. I'm ashamed to say my computer, my family and my money has always come first. But I really like to try though it is very hard to believe in God and do not be a whiner all the time who asks only for blessings.

We are being tested by God on these matters. Did we sit and watch them starve. Did we go and took away their kids and sell their parts of bodies? (how obnoxious is that?) Or did we help them and share whatever we had to be some sort of help or relief to them? That's the test of nature and that's the test of God. People die everyday and that's the way of life, but what we do is our test.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88294
01/06/05 09:11 AM
01/06/05 09:11 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
the ultimate safety net for good people is eternal life anyway
I'm "dying" to know how exactly that works, but I suppose that's a subject for another thread.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88295
01/06/05 02:09 PM
01/06/05 02:09 PM
Northern NJ
Daigo Mick Friend Offline
Underboss
Daigo Mick Friend  Offline
Underboss
Northern NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
[b]the ultimate safety net for good people is eternal life anyway
I'm "dying" to know how exactly that works, but I suppose that's a subject for another thread. [/b][/quote]You answered your own question. You will know how that works when you die

"Francis can I have a momment"
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88296
01/06/05 05:39 PM
01/06/05 05:39 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
So let's get this straight, as I was hoping for a more insightful answer; now I'm even more confused...

God decides to kill a few hundred thousand people, just to see how other people react? What makes him choose Asia over Europe? Why have an Earthquake happen there, and not here? How is he going to explain this to the victims? What happens if some of the victims weren't religious? They'll never know why they were wiped out.

If this is to test other people's faith, what happens if other people lose faith because of this disaster? Will he wipe those out too?

I know that I'd be pretty pissed off if God told me he was killing me to test the faith of some Thai living over the other side of the world. So, if we're all going to be happy in the afterlife anyway, why doesn't he wipe the whole world out? If eternal life is the goal, why didn't he make our life eternal in the first place?

I know there's more religious people on here...

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88297
01/06/05 06:09 PM
01/06/05 06:09 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
[b]the ultimate safety net for good people is eternal life anyway
I'm "dying" to know how exactly that works, but I suppose that's a subject for another thread. [/b][/quote]You answered your own question. You will know how that works when you die [/b][/quote]But if no one knows how it works until they die, how do we know that there even is such a thing as eternal life?

Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88298
01/06/05 07:31 PM
01/06/05 07:31 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I lost faith a long time ago.

When my 2 year old neighbor was diagnosed with cancer.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88299
01/07/05 06:57 PM
01/07/05 06:57 PM
Sonny Forelli Offline
Button
Sonny Forelli  Offline
Button
But if no one knows how it works until they die, how do we know that there even is such a thing as eternal life?

Thats such a great question, but thats why eternal life is only granted to those... who belive in it. We have to play the game. Im not really religious, I belive there is a all knowing power out there but if its a god or another civilization i have no clue

"I'm your Older Brother Mike, And I was stepped over!"
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88300
01/07/05 07:45 PM
01/07/05 07:45 PM
istanbul
cant do it Sally Offline
Wiseguy
cant do it Sally  Offline
Wiseguy
istanbul
as far as i understand, Mick questions the dogmas and theres no wrong with that. besides, the answers given by the religious people are based upon some assumptions that are very well organized. sorry if i'm too quick to comment on the sight of the discussion just by overlooking, but i here suppose that "none" of our ideas as to whether there's a God will lead us to any conclusion. cause, man's capacity to comprehend is limited. so is our knowledge. if Mick's questions are aiming to shape some kind of systematical and/or philosophical evidence to the absence of God, then i say there's no wrong with that but nor is any use in dealing with it. on the other hand, if the answers of the religious are aiming to prove that God exists, well i say i can never acknowledge the existence of anything/anybody (be it a god or something/someone else) because the way i live my life will never change. whether theres a God or not, i will go on breathing, eaitng and trying to meet my needs which i think all religions approve of. and personally i am just not interested in the problematic of a divine power. if that power will burn me in hell cause i didnt obey to his rules that he sent us through prophets and/or any kind of mediums, then so be it. i am not scared. nevertheless i cant resist saying that if theres a god who created this wonderful world, i dont think he would be such a narrow-minded character that he will send us to hell. just my opinions.

nos perituri mortem salutamus
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88301
01/07/05 07:55 PM
01/07/05 07:55 PM
Georgia
Omnipotent Superman Offline
Capo
Omnipotent Superman  Offline
Capo
Georgia
The world went from being perfect into a world of sin a long time ago with adam and eve, its our species fault it happend.

" i have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has left me"
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88302
01/07/05 10:46 PM
01/07/05 10:46 PM
National City, CA
Caporegime Offline
Capo
Caporegime  Offline
Capo
National City, CA
I am a pretty "religious" person by comparison to most. Capo, I can definitely see why you would question the reason for these events. My answer to you: I really do not know. One of the main points in having faith is believing even when we are in our darkest hours. This clearly is one of those moments in life. I firmly believe that God set the rules of nature, and that everything happens for a reason. And like Omnipotent Superman explained, He gave humans the powerful gift free will to do and believe what we want.

Since this is a natural disaster, fingers cannot be pointed. I firmly believe that Earth is not the final destination for humans, and that some people are called out sooner than others. There is a time for everyone to exit this world, but we never know when that will be. I'm sorry if this confuses or doesn't answer anything for you, but there's not much more that I can explain. Some things were simply not made for man to discover on this Earth.

Sal: "Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times' sake?"
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88303
01/07/05 11:01 PM
01/07/05 11:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Very well put Capo!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88304
01/07/05 11:06 PM
01/07/05 11:06 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Do you guys ever feel that God is testing us when bad things happen or when things get hard to see how we react? I get that feeling a lot. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88305
01/08/05 02:04 AM
01/08/05 02:04 AM
Capo
Capo
^ Have you ever read the Book of Job?

But I think it works like I said above... he just lets the world turn and good people willgo up, bad people will go down, and that's that.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88306
01/08/05 04:05 AM
01/08/05 04:05 AM
Thailand/Brazil
Vito The Godfather Offline
Underboss
Vito The Godfather  Offline
Underboss
Thailand/Brazil
Nothing captures human interest like human tragedy. I'm catholic, although disasters like this one makes me wonder a lot how can God let this happen. But i'm sure there were Atheists among the dead over there. Life is unfair, I guess.

"It is the mind that makes someone wise or ignorant, slave or free."
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88307
01/08/05 04:15 AM
01/08/05 04:15 AM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline
Made Member
South Jersey
I'm under the opinion that God may have created the earth, and he may have created all of us, but he has very little to do with what happens to us from there. Sometimes God can come into someones life to build a foundation for something great, but after you have been started along your path to happiness or whatever it may be that you seek, God leaves you alone to achieve this goal yourself.

This is why I do not necesarily blame God or question if God had a hand in certain horrible things that happen on this earth. This tsunami is ultimately just a biproduct of our earth existing. It sometimes can just be the price we pay for living on this planet.

The earth is still forming and changing beneath us, and because of seismic plates and whatnot, these things happen often. Tsunami's have probably been crashing into beaches for millions of years, it just happened to be that there were people there this time, hundereds of thousands of them.

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88308
01/08/05 05:10 AM
01/08/05 05:10 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Some people do not believe there is a God to begin with. I don't want to go there since believing there is God and afterlife is more spiritual than argumentative, not that you can not debate it but it is not related to this thread. I think Capo is asking If you already believe in God now how you justify all these deaths and he says it is a very bad thing if God has done such a thing.

I say it really depends on how you look at it. If you are very self centered and only think about humans then it is a very bad thing that has happened. But you also have to remember that God has created the Earth and for Earth to evolve all these activities are necessary. It is like a tooth that when it falls all the germs on it die too. But a child needs this process in order to grow up.

God has created everything and he keeps balance in everything. Humans on the other hand try to break this balance to favor them and this would eventually give them trouble like all these greenhouse gases that they produce. God is not our nanny; he has given us brain to use. We now can foresee tornados. Maybe one day we are able to predict earthquakes too. You know, animals can feel it like 5 minutes or so earlier to escape from the troubled area. You have to blame yourself really and not God. If there is a God his fairness requires him to judge us based on opportunities and time and resources that we've had so we should try to do our best and not worry about the fairness of our condition.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88309
01/08/05 10:57 AM
01/08/05 10:57 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
the ultimate safety net for good people is eternal life anyway
I'm "dying" to know how exactly that works, but I suppose that's a subject for another thread. [/b][/quote]You answered your own question. You will know how that works when you die [/b][/quote]But if no one knows how it works until they die, how do we know that there even is such a thing as eternal life?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Forelli:
Thats such a great question, but thats why eternal life is only granted to those... who belive in it.
And how, exactly, do we know that?

If there is such a thing as eternal life, why do you have to believe in it to get it?

I would think that there either is such a thing, or there isn't.

And if you have to believe in it to get it, I suppose I should become a believer. After all, I'd have nothing to lose, right?

But it would seem as though Signore Sole Aumentante would disagree with you
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante good people will go up, bad people will go down, and that's that.
If I understand him correctly, everyone has eternal life.

The question is one of quality.

Re: Tsunami: Questioning one's faith... #88310
01/09/05 02:39 AM
01/09/05 02:39 AM
Capo
Capo
^ If you call hell eternal life, then yeah.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull