GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (GangstersInc, U talkin' da me ??, 1 invisible), 558 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,554
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,535
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,254
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Irony of the Top Corleone Enforcers #8893
05/29/04 03:00 PM
05/29/04 03:00 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I think it's great that Puzo and Coppola don't really show how hardcore the top Corleone Enforcers are. In fact, the irony of it was they are always elluded to, in terms of their abilities, but never really given a chance to shine. For instance Luca Brasi, was quite possibly the most fear enforcer in the Godfather universe, but he is killed in the bar scene in GF I.

Al Neri, for those of who read the book, was like Luca Brasi #2. He was in GF I, killed Barzini by dressing up as a cop. Always in the background of GF II and in GF III. But he has such a minor role as en enforcer it's outstanding although his abilities were elluded to in the book.

Finally the hitman in GF II, who accompanys Michael to Havana is hardcore looking but meets with a timely death.

Now, not so much Neri, but Brazi and the Hitman from GF II are pretty much two of the most intimidating characters but both are punked off without an elaboration or visulatization of their abilities. Was it Coppola and Puzo's intention to just have their reputations preceed them or was there another point?

Re: The Irony of the Top Corleone Enforcers #8894
05/29/04 05:24 PM
05/29/04 05:24 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Welcome, UnderBoss. I hope to see many more though-provoking posts from you; you've certainly started well. smile

And it's a good point you acknowledge. Although Brasi's, and more so Neri's, abilities were shown in depth in the novel, it was in extensive flashback. Perhaps Coppola (and/or Puzo) wanted to show the brains aspect of the Family business. Vito's mental strengths were paramount over his physical attributes, and thus both the novel and film concentrate on how his brains got the Family out--he is the puppeteer, the one in control, and his enforcers are simply his puppets, whose actions in carrying out their Don's wishes are simply taken for granted. In short, I think Coppola wanted to show that a successful Mafia Family needs brains as well as phyical strength.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The Irony of the Top Corleone Enforcers #8895
05/30/04 12:30 PM
05/30/04 12:30 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
I never really though of it, UnderBoss, but your right. This is very intereesting, it kind of leaves a mysterious glow to the hitman, Neri, and Brasi.

Oh and Welcome-I hope to see more from you.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull