GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Liggio), 384 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,896
Members10,349
Most Online992
04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Collateral #84135
12/14/04 05:13 PM
12/14/04 05:13 PM
So Cal
no girI so sweet Offline OP
Made Member
no girI so sweet  Offline OP
Made Member
So Cal
Anyone else liked this movie?

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I just barely saw it yesterday and I loved it.
I've never really liked Tom Cruise/his previous movies, but this movie was awesome.

It's definitely one of my favorites.

Re: Collateral #84136
12/14/04 05:15 PM
12/14/04 05:15 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Tens of thousands killed before sundown. Nobody's killed people that fast since Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Did you bat an eye, Max?

"Did you bat an eye, Max" says Vincent, trying to explain to Max the taxi driver that one life is insignificant to his feelings. We never have feelings towards massacres that happen so far away, however one dead body near us can cause us to go crazy.

Michael Mann is definately a man who has a good career in Hollywood. He brought us Manhunter, Heat, The Insider, Ali, and now Collateral. Many immediately labeled this a "Black guy meets white guy" movie as soon as the plot was offered on IMDB. However Mann has yet to disappoint me. I saw Collateral in theaters and again this month. This has NO relations to movies like "Showtime" or any other Black/white movie. There isn't a cultural clash between the characters, there is a story to this night that is actually realistic, not filled with corny anecdotes.

Max is a taxi driver, who has been doing his "temporary" job for 12 years. He dreams of owning a high class "Island Limo" business, and has fooled his mother into thinking he already owns it. However all he has is a picture of an island in his visor to escape to between fares. He can calculate the time to your destination, as he does with his first fare, a beautiful lawyer he gives his Island photo to.

His next fair is Vincent. If a wolf turned human this is who it would look like. Vincent, with his gray hair and suit with no remorse for what he does for a living. He pursuades Max to drive him for the night as he makes five stops. The first stop, a body falls on the taxi. When Max questions if Vincent killed him, he replies "No, I shot him. The bullets and the fall killed him." Max is immediately drawn into the biggest night of his life.

Max offers Vincent the cab, he resists, implying Vincent does not plan on letting Max go when it's over. However, despite Max's obviously distaste for what Vincent is doing, at times they seem to bond. Vincent is always giving him advise to pursue things, "Life's short, one day it's gone." He's pushing Max to be assertive as well even though that might make it harder on completing his work. Vincent has his own morals as well too. In one scene where they visit Max's mother, Max refuses to buy flowers, and Vincent replies, "She carried you in her womb for 9 months." Max seems to have a friendly bond with Vincent but his moral views of life still force him to rebel, at one point attempting to destroy Vincent's list. His quest is to stop Vincent, maybe he can save one of the people? Maybe himself?

One thing I loved were the visuals. The L.A. areas, the Club Fever, overhead shots looking down from a skyscrapers view. Mann filmed this movie in a blue-ish gray pallette giving a good mood to the film. Many window-filled areas are in the movie as well such as the office building or subway. Even from taxi point of view I enjoy the looks, the side view seeing a row of palm trees at points.

The music is also well chosen. In one scene Max stops in the road as Coyotes or wolves pass by looking at them with their glowing eyes as Max has a look of despair on him. Vincent also follows the coyotes while Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun" plays. My favorite piece of music however, is definately "Requiem" by Antonio Pinto played in the final scene. The dialogue is also very well written, mainly for Vincent, with his constant advice and explainations for Max.

Overall, Collateral is a very great thriller, definately either Mann's best or second best film, hard for me to choose with Heat. Very well acted by Cruise, and definately Foxx, who also appeared in Mann's "Ali."

Possible spoilers
The ending however, is different for me. I enjoyed it, most likely for the Travis Bickle-ish head movements and the music I mentioned. However I felt it was just resolved immediately. A well written script with a simply resolved ending, although that might not even be a bad thing.

****/*****

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Collateral #84137
12/14/04 05:27 PM
12/14/04 05:27 PM
So Cal
no girI so sweet Offline OP
Made Member
no girI so sweet  Offline OP
Made Member
So Cal
yes, tom cruise looked hot with gray hair.

Re: Collateral #84138
12/14/04 05:32 PM
12/14/04 05:32 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I liked this movie very much. I have been a fan of Mann since I saw Manhunter. I also loved Heat (but who didn't?)

I though Cruise did a fantastic job, as usual. But I was also very impressed with Foxx. He was great, and as a team, they worked very well. Another accomplishment for Mann.

Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Collateral #84139
12/15/04 08:43 AM
12/15/04 08:43 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I also enjoyed the movie very much-alot of action

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Collateral #84140
12/16/04 02:23 AM
12/16/04 02:23 AM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
I liked this a lot also. Probably my favorite movie from the summer. Foxx was just nominated for best supporting actor for golden globes which I find a little strange since he was in every scene from start to finish. I think they did this because he was also nominated for best actor in a leading role for Ray.

Re: Collateral #84141
12/16/04 08:28 AM
12/16/04 08:28 AM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
I liked this a lot also. Probably my favorite movie from the summer. Foxx was just nominated for best supporting actor for golden globes which I find a little strange since he was in every scene from start to finish. I think they did this because he was also nominated for best actor in a leading role for Ray.
Yeah, I would have rather had Tom Cruise nominated for supporting, for I think this was his best performance.

How am I not myself?
Re: Collateral #84142
12/16/04 01:14 PM
12/16/04 01:14 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I liked this movie, but I didn't LOVE it. I'm getting it on DVD just because Tom Cruise was so awesome as a bad guy!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull