GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 681 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,670
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,492
Posts1,061,849
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069430
09/18/23 07:06 AM
09/18/23 07:06 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Speaking frankly, on review, Gigante's crazy act did not serve him well....at all.

Because, essentially, he implemented a 'self-imposed' exile on himself into the shadows, where he was forced to live like a virtual recluse...a stumble bum if you will, on a 24/7 basis, for many decades.

If you wanna walk around in a bathrobe all day, every day, with your hair disheveled, unshaved, unbathed, and have to travel in car trunks for appointments, etc. Then have at it. Lol

I, for one, could never, would never, stoop to such ridiculous levels for anything! You really gotta stop and ask yourself, what kind of life was that? Was it worth it?

And the answer to that question is an unequivocal no! It was NOT worth it.

He couldn't go out in public to restaurants and clubs, couldn't go on vacation with his wife and kids, couldn't even be seen dressed nicely or driving a car. He had to act like an unhinged "brain dead" zombie 99% of the time.

Because, at the end of the day, he ended up going to prison anyway and dying behind bars. WTF?

What kind of a life was that? He entire charade and life was a waste.

I'd rather just do my bid and hit the street again and go live my life. Lol

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069433
09/18/23 07:17 AM
09/18/23 07:17 AM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
I disagree with you, his ruse allowed him to rule as boss for decades, free and on the streets. And to him the Mafia was his life. He lived and breathed it. And he was chauffeured around in a limousine. I'm sure he enjoyed life a bit more than what we're allowed to believe, though not as much as he could've. And in the grand scheme of things, his 12-year sentence he received in 1997 was a mere pittance. 12 years for decades of ordering multiple murders and racketeering??? I'll take that lol. The only reason he died behind bars was because he was already old as fuck, and by then I'm sure he was ready to go. Less stress than the streets.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Toodoped] #1069434
09/18/23 07:19 AM
09/18/23 07:19 AM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Originally Posted by Hollander
That's also why they are considered cousins of the Chicago Outfit the boss Felice De Lucia, known as Paul Ricca was married to Nancy Gigante.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Liggio
Didn't Vito Genovese and Paul Ricca team up to kill Saverio Pollaccia in Chicago?

[Linked Image]

Great find, never saw the second file. Genovese was also present at the John Bazzano murder in 1932 along with other high ranking members.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: NYMafia] #1069436
09/18/23 07:21 AM
09/18/23 07:21 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Speaking frankly, on review, Gigante's crazy act did not serve him well....at all.

Because, essentially, he implemented a 'self-imposed' exile on himself into the shadows, where he was forced to live like a virtual recluse...a stumble bum if you will, on a 24/7 basis, for many decades.

If you wanna walk around in a bathrobe all day, every day, with your hair disheveled, unshaved, unbathed, and have to travel in car trunks for appointments, etc. Then have at it. Lol

I, for one, could never, would never, stoop to such ridiculous levels for anything! You really gotta stop and ask yourself, what kind of life was that? Was it worth it?

He couldn't go out in public to restaurants and clubs, couldn't go on vacation with his wife and kids, couldn't even be seen dressed nicely or driving a car. He had to act like an unhinged "brain dead" zombie 99% of the time.

Because, at the end of the day, he ended up going to prison anyway and dying behind bars. WTF?

Nicely said and I agree with you 100%.

Although it somehow reminds me to an extent regarding similar situation when Italian bosses like Riina or Provenzano acted as simple villagers. I mean, look at where they found Provenzano?! Was it worth it? Obviously not. But we must not forget that some of those guys were fanatics when it came down to Cosa Nostra and its ideology. When Buscetta was confronted with Riina, the only thing which Riina said was that he didnt want to talk to someone who had too many wives and allegedly had no morals, while Buscetta answered that Riina didnt care about anything except for the control over whole CN with his fanatic ideas. Buscetta allegedly once stated that some CN capos died penniless only because of their "true" belief in the rules of the organization.

So my point is that Gigante mightve been the prime example of a "hardcore" or fanatic believer in the Cosa Nostra ideology.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069438
09/18/23 07:25 AM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
Dude, if you honestly believe that Bernardo Provenzano spent 4 decades on that island you're crazy. They found evidence that Matteo Messina Denaro traveled extensively during his 3 decades on the run, and with Provenzano being loose a decade longer I'm sure the same could be said of him. First of all if you have the power, money, and resources to remain a fugitive for a virtual lifetime then you also have the means to travel nationally and internationally if need be.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Toodoped] #1069439
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Although it somehow reminds me to a similar situation when Italian bosses like Riina or Provenzano acted as simple villagers. I mean, look at where they found Provenzano?! Was it worth it? Obviously not. But we must not forget that some of those guys were fanatics when it came down to Cosa Nostra and its ideology. When Buscetta was confronted with Riina, the only thing which Riina said was that he didnt want to talk to someone who had too many wives and allegedly had no morals, while Buscetta answered that Riina didnt care about anything except for the control over whole CN with his fanatic ideas. Buscetta allegedly once stated that some CN capos died peniless only because of their "true" belief in the rules of the organization.

So my point is that Gigante mightve been the prime example of a "hardcore" or fanatic believer in the Cosa Nostra ideology.

Oh, no doubt about it. Chin Gigante was. And thats a good analogy you gave about Provenzano, Riina, and so many others that live like hermits or slugs as cave dwellers for decades at a time.

Truth be told, its simply nuts! lol

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069441
09/18/23 07:32 AM
09/18/23 07:32 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Dude, if you honestly believe that Bernardo Provenzano spent 4 decades on that island you're crazy. They found evidence that Matteo Messina Denaro traveled extensively during his 3 decades on the run, and with Provenzano being loose a decade longer I'm sure the same could be said of him. First of all if you have the power, money, and resources to remain a fugitive for a virtual lifetime then you also have the means to travel nationally and internationally if need be.

I get you but i think theres a difference between Provenzano's and Denaro's situations.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: NYMafia] #1069443
09/18/23 07:37 AM
09/18/23 07:37 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Although it somehow reminds me to a similar situation when Italian bosses like Riina or Provenzano acted as simple villagers. I mean, look at where they found Provenzano?! Was it worth it? Obviously not. But we must not forget that some of those guys were fanatics when it came down to Cosa Nostra and its ideology. When Buscetta was confronted with Riina, the only thing which Riina said was that he didnt want to talk to someone who had too many wives and allegedly had no morals, while Buscetta answered that Riina didnt care about anything except for the control over whole CN with his fanatic ideas. Buscetta allegedly once stated that some CN capos died peniless only because of their "true" belief in the rules of the organization.

Oh, no doubt about it. Chin Gigante was. And thats a good analogy you gave about Provenzano, Riina, and so many others that live like hermits or slugs as cave dwellers for decades at a time.

Truth be told, its simply nuts! lol

+1

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069444
09/18/23 07:41 AM
09/18/23 07:41 AM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
No way he stayed in that farmhouse for 40 whole years lol. Wasn't a whole lot of difference, both were wanted for attacks on the State and for being the boss of bosses. If you mean a difference in old-school vs new-school, I'll agree with you. I don't think Provenzano traveled to the extent that Messina Denaro did, but no way he spent 40 years never leaving Sicily. This is not to say that either one of their lives are ones to envy, either, quite the opposite. Still a shitty life no matter how you look at it.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069446
09/18/23 08:01 AM
09/18/23 08:01 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
If you mean a difference in old-school vs new-school, I'll agree with you. I don't think Provenzano traveled to the extent that Messina Denaro did

That was my point and thanks for understanding. Even when they were still "freely" active, Riina and Provenzano lived almost like villagers and didnt move around much. And when they became prime targets of the government, they still continued living like that. Again, Im not saying they didnt move around but their mentality was different then Denaro's who in turn grew up differently and also saw the situation from a different point of view then the old timers.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069447
09/18/23 08:10 AM
09/18/23 08:10 AM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
Also keep in mind that only the part of the government that's not in the Mafia's pockets were truly after them, the other part protected them.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069448
09/18/23 08:19 AM
09/18/23 08:19 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Also keep in mind that only the part of the government that's not in the Mafia's pockets were truly after them, the other part protected them.

Again, I completely agree.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Toodoped] #1069454
09/18/23 12:25 PM
09/18/23 12:25 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

There used to be many mobsters in the past who used the crazy act only during trials, like constantly screaming or came to the courtroom completely naked. But it seems that Gigante played the crazy act constantly, especially in public. So I have two questions...

1. Which year or decade Gigante started his crazy act?

2. Was Gigante the first and only American made member or boss who did the crazy act on daily basis?

IDK in the US but in 2017 the last Italian judicial psychiatric hospitals which housed mafia bosses were emptied.

Italian judicial psychiatric hospitals are to be completely emptied. Yesterday the forensic inpatient unit of Montelupo Fiorentino was definitely closed. In Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, the former largest judicial psychiatric hospital in Italy, there are only 13 internee left, who in the coming days will be sent to therapeutic communities.

The complex, located in the Sicily region, 40 kilometers from Messina, housed in the past over 600 internees. When it was a judicial psychiatric hospital it received also mafia bosses who pretended to be mentally ill, in order to obtain reductions in their sentences.

Last edited by Hollander; 09/18/23 12:27 PM.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: Liggio] #1069457
09/18/23 12:56 PM
09/18/23 12:56 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
I think it's hilarious that Gigante walked around in his pajamas, checking himself into the psyche ward, and ordering murders all at the same time.

Re: Vito Genovese is actually underrated [Re: NYMafia] #1069458
09/18/23 01:17 PM
09/18/23 01:17 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline OP
Underboss
Liggio  Offline OP
L
Underboss
Houston
Too many people on these forums looking at life through the eyes of a regular person. In Gigante's mind he WAS living the dream, he was Cosa Nostra to the core.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull