GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, Captbony1999), 288 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,419
Posts1,060,598
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1980's article on Dominick Montiglio #1018140
08/16/21 11:39 PM
08/16/21 11:39 PM
It's cold in the north
P
Primo Offline OP
Capo
Primo  Offline OP
P
Capo
It's cold in the north
Dominick Montiglio, a key government witness in the trial of 10 reputed members of the Gambino crime ring on charges of stealing hundreds of cars, has painted a picture in court papers of his dealings in the upper ranks of organized crime.

Mr. Montiglio, a 37-year-old Vietnam War veteran, admitted to being a collector for the crime group's loan-sharking and extortion activities and a go-between in big narcotics transactions. He also said he could rig a grenade to explode when a car was started.

But, according to recently unsealed court papers that were made available yesterday, he could not bring himself to gun down a man.

''I was supposed to shoot,'' he said, according to transcripts of a court appearance last June. ''I had a pistol on me. I was supposed to shoot with everybody else, but I didn't.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story

He made the remarks in describing an unsuccesful attempt by him and Gambino ''family'' associates to kill Vincent Governara by exploding a grenade in his car in 1975, and the fatal shooting of Mr. Governara the following year in Brooklyn.

Mr. Montiglio, who is to take the stand in Federal District Court in Manhattan today, has been billed by the chief prosecutor, Walter S. Mack Jr., an assistant United States attorney, as the man who can place the Gambino group's reputed boss, Paul Castellano, 70, at the head of the car-theft ring and another defendant, Anthony F. Gaggi, 57, as his second in command.

Bribery Attempts

In the court papers, Mr. Montiglio does not mention Mr. Castellano or car thefts. But he does implicate Mr. Gaggi, his uncle, as well as Joseph C. Testa Jr., 30; Anthony Senter, 30, and Henry Borelli, 37, in extortion, loan sharking and attempts to bribe witnesses in a trial. Those charges are to be the subject of a future trial of many of the 10 now on trial and 13 others.

Sign up for the New York Today Newsletter Each morning, get the latest on New York businesses, arts, sports, dining, style and more. Get it sent to your inbox.
The bribery attempt took place, Mr. Montiglio said, in late 1979, when Mr. Gaggi was in jail on Rikers Island awaiting trial on murder charges.

ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Penny was a sceduled witness against Mr. Gaggi. Mr. Montiglio said his uncle sent him, Mr. Testa and Mr. Senter to see a brother of Patrick and ''relay back'' the outcome. ''We offered to start him off, $50,000, and then down the line he would be taken care of no matter where he wanted to go,'' Mr. Montiglio said. ''The idea was that he would not testify and just go away.''

Patrick Penny did testify in the trial, but Mr. Gaggi was acquitted after a juror who prosecutors say was bribed by some of the current defendants asserted that there were irregularities in the deliberations. But on May 13, 1980, Patrick Penny was shot - a killing that the prosecutors have attributed to some of the defendants.

Threat of a Disturbance

Mr. Montiglio, in the court papers, also described how he and others, including Mr. Borelli, extorted money from bar and restaurant owners.

Other members of the group, he said, would go into a place and threaten to start a disturbance and then tell the owner that such things would happen ''more and more and more.''

ADVERTISEMENT

SUV Offers
Saskatoon: Unsold SUVs From 2020 Are Being Sold For A Fraction Of Their Cost
Sponsored by SUV Offers
See more

''Then I would get together with the owner and I would say I could probably straighten that out,'' he said, adding that owner would subsequently pay him to prevent trouble.

Mr. Montiglio, who is divorced and has two children, is now in the Federal witness protection program and has pleaded guilty to racketeering charges in connection with bribery, extortion, narcotics trafficking, prostitution and dealing in stolen goods. He is awaiting sentencing.

Last edited by Primo; 08/16/21 11:39 PM.

I've walked along the red canal of mars
I've known kings and king makers
Poets painters and paupers
I've danced danced on the rings of Saturn
Still your pilgrim soul is the only thing that ever mattered
Re: 1980's article on Dominick Montiglio [Re: Primo] #1018178
08/17/21 10:12 PM
08/17/21 10:12 PM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
Allegedly, Montiglio admitted this year to participating in at least one murder with Henry Borelli. I will try to get the details.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull