GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 704 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,554
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,534
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,246
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vincent and Mary #8078
04/22/04 08:41 PM
04/22/04 08:41 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline OP
Underboss
Busta  Offline OP
Underboss
Chicago
I know Michael didnt like the fact that Vincent and Mary were together but it seemed that the only reason he didnt like it was because Vincent was moving up and didnt want Mary to get hurt in case something happened to him. However, doesnt anyone else find it a bit strange that Michael didnt get mad at the relationship just on the fact that the two of them are cousins? I mean it almost seems like the fact that the two were cousins and were having a sexual relationship was ignored. Maybe I missed somethin in the movie where someone said cousins shouldnt be together but it seemed like that didnt really matter.

Re: Vincent and Mary #8079
04/22/04 10:41 PM
04/22/04 10:41 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Hi Busta & welcome!! smile

Actually, I always got the impression the main reason Michael objected was because they were first cousins. I'm not as "in the know" about GFIII as the first two, but I could swear Michael made the "cousin" reference to Vincent, showing his objection. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Vincent and Mary #8080
04/23/04 12:06 AM
04/23/04 12:06 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael didn't want Mary involved with Vincent because he knew Vincent was destined to be a gangster. And while he recognized that he needed Vincent, even anointed him his successor, he didn't want Mary involved in the gangster life. He may well have had a premonition that her marriage to Vincent would be a casualty of the gangster life, even as his was to Kay.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vincent and Mary #8081
04/23/04 12:27 AM
04/23/04 12:27 AM
Chicago
Busta Offline OP
Underboss
Busta  Offline OP
Underboss
Chicago
Yeah, thats what I thought Michael was thinking also Turnbull. I just think it's kind of odd that Michael wasnt also upset with the fact that the two were first cousins and that a sexual relationship between first cousins is illegal and just wrong. It almost seemed like he accepted a relationship between cousins as normal.

Re: Vincent and Mary #8082
04/29/04 10:21 PM
04/29/04 10:21 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
That happens a lot in real life among mafiosi. I mean about them marrying cousins. Carlo Gambino, Paul Castellano, etc etc etc. It's sometimes a way of keeping peace between families, medieval royalty style, and sometimes it's a way of being sure that you can trust your own flesh and blood, to keep the sacred omerta. In my opinion, it's still sick, but oh well, no one asked me.

Re: Vincent and Mary #8083
04/30/04 05:10 AM
04/30/04 05:10 AM
NY
Chancre Offline
Capo
Chancre  Offline
Capo
NY
When dealing with a strongheaded person it is sometimes necessary to bait them and speak to in a language they understand. wink

Michael knew that to try to force Vincent to keep his fly closed would be nearly as impossible as Sonny. So ... he turns the problem into an issue of a loyal sacrifice.

He knows Vincent wants the chair and why not solve two dilemnas at once. [1] Turn his attention away from his daughter and [2] find a capable replacement.

Of course we have no way of knowing what was realy going on in Michael's head or Mary's bed.

Re: Vincent and Mary #8084
05/07/04 12:50 PM
05/07/04 12:50 PM
New York
Don_Michael_Corleone Offline
Button
Don_Michael_Corleone  Offline
Button
New York
Michael didnt seem to be bothered about Vincent and Mary being cousins and going out because to the italian/sicilian people it doesnt matter just so long as it not your brother or sister or someone that close to you they allow cousin to marry or have sexual relationships together but its only the christians and people like them who dont like that kind of business.... does that answer your question

Re: Vincent and Mary #8085
05/07/04 09:20 PM
05/07/04 09:20 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Michael was purely concerned with 'when they come they will come at people you love' After the hit on Zaza Mike realized they were after blood and he didnt want his daughter in the firing line

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Vincent and Mary #8086
05/08/04 11:18 PM
05/08/04 11:18 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:
Michael was purely concerned with 'when they come they will come at people you love' After the hit on Zaza Mike realized they were after blood and he didnt want his daughter in the firing line
Yeah I think that's Michael's main problem with it - he understands that Mary is already at least slightly endangered because of being his daughter, that forces trying to strike at Michael might try to get Mary instead, and if she hooks up with Vincent, with his outstanding talent for making enemies in a big hurry, this will become much worse.

As far as whether it's 'incest' or not, I think that does bug Michael somewhat but not that much. I don't know what the Catholic Church says, but marriage between first cousins actually is legal in like 42 U.S. states. So the whole thing is very borderline and probably creeps Michael out. But I think he is thinking more of the practical consequences.

"You did good."
Re: Vincent and Mary #8087
05/10/04 07:47 AM
05/10/04 07:47 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
and how does mike find out about it? i cant imagine Mary telling him.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Vincent and Mary #8088
05/13/04 09:39 AM
05/13/04 09:39 AM
pacino'sgirl Offline
Wiseguy
pacino'sgirl  Offline
Wiseguy
yeah i would say that hes mainly upset that he doesnt want his daughter to get too involved with vincent because it could put her in danger. because of his quick temper, as someone said earlier he makes enemies quickly. micheal did address the cousin issue in his response to mary when she said "i love my family." and hes like "even your cousin vincent. and then she says" i love him very much." hes your first cousin" "then i love him first." i just like that line i think its really funny. i know the whole cousin thing is weird. but maybe not as weird in this situation. we find out in the begining vincent doesnt even recognize mary cause he hasnt seen her in so long so its not she was around him her whole life. plus i really acnt blame mary. andy garcia is soo hot.

Michael Corleone: My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Kay Adams: What was that?
Michael Corleone: Luca Brasi, held a gun to his head, and my father assured him, that either his brain or his signature would be on the contract.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull