GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 423 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,415
Posts1,060,536
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lurker saying Hi and a few general mafia questions #750729
11/29/13 07:19 PM
11/29/13 07:19 PM
L
Leo Offline OP
Wiseguy
Leo  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
Hello I am a fairly long time "lurker" of this board (Last 6 months maybe a little longer) and I finally decided to make an account. I'm 22 from the UK that's about enough personal info.

Anyway I have 2 questions that I thought you guys could possibly answer. I'm sorry by the way if they have already been answered previously.

1. The "books" where closed for the 5 families from around 1950 to about the mid 1970's I believe, did they still make guys to replace dead members very selectively or where the books totally closed?

2. People talk a lot about the "age of the rat" starting from the late 1980's to the present day. Is it possible that it's more to do with more law enforcement attention in the latter period of the mafia (RICO being a main part of this).

During the peak power of the mob, law enforcement was lax and although a small amount of mafiosa did hard time it was nothing like they where facing in the late 80's early 90's where the "rat epidemic" was beginning.

People talk a lot about the old timers being more stand up than the new generation of mafiaosa, isn't it possible that the old timers would have had a load more flipped members if they had the same law enforcement scrutiny that the later generations of mobsters had/have.

Personally I don't think the fact that rats didn't appear all too much back in the 30's-70's is because it was a different breed of mobsters, I just think it's the aforementioned lack of scrutiny from law enforcement that plagued later generations of mobsters which made the old timers less likely to rat. (Human beings are inherently selfish in my opinion, mobsters generally more so than others).

P.S I realised that the 2nd question was more of a point of view being made by me than a question but I would love to hear your guy's opinion on it. I also hope to become a good/thoughtful member of the board/community.

Last edited by Leo; 11/29/13 07:21 PM.
Re: Lurker saying Hi and a few general mafia questions [Re: Leo] #750731
11/29/13 07:27 PM
11/29/13 07:27 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
When you look at the arrests of them you'll notice most don't rat. Rats just get a lot more attention than people standing up. The ratio of people ratting to not ratting is a big difference.

Re: Lurker saying Hi and a few general mafia questions [Re: Leo] #750734
11/29/13 07:34 PM
11/29/13 07:34 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I think it's because of weaker law enforcement and more powerful connections of the old godfathers back then.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Lurker saying Hi and a few general mafia questions [Re: Leo] #750739
11/29/13 08:53 PM
11/29/13 08:53 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Leo
Hello I am a fairly long time "lurker" of this board (Last 6 months maybe a little longer) and I finally decided to make an account. I'm 22 from the UK that's about enough personal info.

Anyway I have 2 questions that I thought you guys could possibly answer. I'm sorry by the way if they have already been answered previously.

1. The "books" where closed for the 5 families from around 1950 to about the mid 1970's I believe, did they still make guys to replace dead members very selectively or where the books totally closed?

2. People talk a lot about the "age of the rat" starting from the late 1980's to the present day. Is it possible that it's more to do with more law enforcement attention in the latter period of the mafia (RICO being a main part of this).

During the peak power of the mob, law enforcement was lax and although a small amount of mafiosa did hard time it was nothing like they where facing in the late 80's early 90's where the "rat epidemic" was beginning.

People talk a lot about the old timers being more stand up than the new generation of mafiaosa, isn't it possible that the old timers would have had a load more flipped members if they had the same law enforcement scrutiny that the later generations of mobsters had/have.

Personally I don't think the fact that rats didn't appear all too much back in the 30's-70's is because it was a different breed of mobsters, I just think it's the aforementioned lack of scrutiny from law enforcement that plagued later generations of mobsters which made the old timers less likely to rat. (Human beings are inherently selfish in my opinion, mobsters generally more so than others).

P.S I realised that the 2nd question was more of a point of view being made by me than a question but I would love to hear your guy's opinion on it. I also hope to become a good/thoughtful member of the board/community.

the exact years for when the books were supposedly closed were about 1957 to 1976, there were how ever some select guys made during this time period, some names that ive seen listed were guys like Tommy Eboli,Eli Zeccardi,Rich Boairdo, Jerry Catena, Roy Decarlo, Fish Cafaro, and Pasquale Genese and thats just for the west side. Other guys were Allie Persico sr. and tommy gambino, and im sure there were quite a few more guys that i cant think of now that were made when the books were said to be closed.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Lurker saying Hi and a few general mafia questions [Re: Leo] #750743
11/29/13 10:04 PM
11/29/13 10:04 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
As far as modern day Mafiosi being more prone to rat than the old timers,I think it really depends on the individual Mafiosi,and the circumstances of their arrests.

The RICO act has provided some harsh sentencing provisions,and given some more incentive to snitch than others.

On the one hand,you have the old school guys like Massino and Gigante giving up info to reduce their sentences.

On the other hand,you have guys like Scarfo and Gotti who could have pretty much written their own ticket had they rolled over,but steadfastly refused to do so. Whether it was out of loyalty,ego,or spite,they still stayed mute.

Lefty Ruggiero,of Donnie Brasco fame, could have gone into Witsec,but not only did he refuse to rat,he continued,up to the day of his death,to threaten to kill Pistone if he ever got the chance.
And then you have a guy like Fat Tony Salerno,who was convicted under RICO of being the Boss of the Genovese Family.
As we know,Gigante was the real Boss and Salerno was put in to deflect FBI heat. He could have easily clued in the Feds,and had a nice retirement at Government expense.

I don't think it's possible to fairly compare old school and modern day mobsters when it comes to the rat problem,it's really apples and oranges.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull