GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 759 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,616
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,465
Posts1,061,372
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? #717958
05/31/13 01:27 PM
05/31/13 01:27 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Are these the best action movies from the 1980s, nevermind possibly all time?

You know its strange how the 80s action films are popularily remembered as flag-waving vehicles for bodybuilders with drug-enhanced physiques (with acting chops optional) yet you look at these two classics, they're the reverse and share many similarities. Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones and John McClaine are everyman American Joes with regular mundane jobs (archaeology professor or NYPD cop) who are thrust upon incredible intense situations where they have to combat evil ruthless Germans and survive insane, dire obstacles by their wits and being tough sons of bitches. Unlike some of those stereotypical 80s action films, they both take a good beating by the credits. (Both in fact get shot in the shoulder, both scenes which still make me wince no matter how many times I've seen these pictures.) Both were also critical, box-office hits which spawned many sequels including the most recent entries which the Internet wished never existed. Both characters also have estranged lovers that they ultimately hook back up at the end.

So which is the better movie? I've gone back and forth with each other, usually each time I catch either on TV or rotation (DIE HARD is a Christmas ritual at my household) but some thoughts I've made over the years:

VILLAIN: Paul Freeman is great as Belloq, the evil mirror version of Indiana Jones who as the Vichy France avatar has no qualms with working for the fucking Nazis. His calling Indy's bluff to bazooka up the Ark is a classic bad guy moment. But I think Alan Rickman tops him because he's so much more fun. When movie terrorists were ideological whackos (which I guess we're back to now), Hans Gruber was a breath of fresh air because he dressed good and just wanted the money. All things he cooked up a brilliant bad guy plan that used mindless American national security protocol to his favor. When his gang breaks into the vault, the movie allows you to enjoy their victory with them. He's also smug and confident that he would prevail until he gets dropped off a skyscraper because until that moment, he did almost win and deservedly so.

MOST PAINFUL MOMENT: Shoulder shots aside, I'm afraid Indy can't top McClaine having to walk through broken glass, but he does come close with being dragged behind a truck on an unpaved road.

MOST ABSURD MOMENT: Indy smuggles himself into that Nazi sub base by hanging onto the peroscope. Henchman Karl survives getting hanged (i.e. broken neck) and still able to aim a gun. I call this a Draw.

MOST BADASS MOMENT: Running away from a rolling bolder or jumping off a rooftop as it explodes? Draw.

MOST INGENIUS MOMENT: Indy and Marion are trapped in that tomb, no escape and snakes everybody. How does he get out? Pure joy. But Bruce Willis outsmarting Gruber with simply two bullets and gift wrap tape? Pure joy too but also shockingly simple that it's just brilliant and clever (and funny) scriptwriting.

BEST DEATH: Getting dropped off a skyscraper rocks, as does one of Gruber's henchmen giving fateful advise to McClaine. But nothing beats faces melting and eyeballs being smashed by lightning bolts! Also I always remember that Nazi trooper who gets run over by the truck, and if you look at the placement of truck and his body, that truck ran over the poor bastard's balls.

FEMALE LEAD: Bonnie Bedelia is your damsel in distress, but has a good New York sarcastic sense of humor (like her character's estranged husband) but a D.I.D. none the less. Karen Allen on the other hand...is also a D.I.D., but a scrappy tomboy. Plus her entrance is classic.

DIRECTOR: John McTiernan for a brief run (from PREDATOR to HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER) was a splendid action-thriller filmmaker and I'm a fan of his DIE HARD sequel, but otherwise bleh. Steven Spielberg is one of the greatest directors ever. Not even close.

MUSIC: Michael Kamen did some underrated cues, even though most of DIE HARD's most memorable moments came from recycling composers dead for centuries. Besides, John Williams. RAIDERS wins again!

BUDDIES: In retrospect especially after the last decade, I admire that John Rhys-Davies' Sallah was that rare Arab character in these sort of popcorn movies played with humanity, competentcy, bravery, intelligence, and (without needing exposition) you just know he and Indy are long time best buds. But I pick Al because imagine his story, which would've made a decent from his angle: Former street cop demoted to desk job after unfortunately shooting a kid, he's accepted his crappy gig. On his way home he makes a Twinkie run, which then gets him ultimately involved with a major terorrist incident. He strikes a friendship with McClaine, despite McClaine throwing a dead terrorist's body at his car. Plus at the end, Al saves the day!

HUMOR: Spielberg has a great sense of humor in RAIDERS, but c'mon DIE HARD and its million one-liners used by Willis and the cast. ("The Quarterback IS toast!")

ENDING: I like the tying up of everything in DIE HARD: Hero and wife reunite, hero meets Al face to face, wife punches out the reporter, Argyle and his limo escape. Al gets his hero moment. Let it Snow, Let it Snow...But RAIDERS' dialogue-free ending is so simple and much more interesting and memorable. (Plus endlessly spoofed.)

And we're still at a tie! Damn.

Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #717978
05/31/13 05:15 PM
05/31/13 05:15 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Pilsner Offline
Button
Pilsner  Offline
Button
Copperopolis, CA
Ah, there’s no tie for me. I loved Die Hard and Willis in it, but Raiders will always be my top action movie. It is a good argument, but the real tragedy is the sequels ….

If you’ve ever seen that Indiana Jones-South Park bit about the raping of our old pal Indy…sigh. So true, so true.

Steven Gomez is an indie writer in the best (or worst) pulp tradition.
Visit The Noir Factory to get the FREE Ebook "The Standing Eight"
Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #717984
05/31/13 05:57 PM
05/31/13 05:57 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

For me it has to be Die Hard..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: DE NIRO] #718268
06/02/13 11:17 AM
06/02/13 11:17 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
For me it's Die Hard, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. The first one being the best of course. I saw them all except for this latest one. Every time Die Hard is on (the original), I can't resist watching some of it. Just a really really good movie IMHO. smile

Never been an Indiana Jones fan. Only saw one or two of the series (the first one at least). Ok, but not my cup of tea. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #718342
06/02/13 04:53 PM
06/02/13 04:53 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Easily Die Hard for me but my favourite action movie is either Terminator 2 or Predator. Like TIS i'm not a big fan of the Indiana Jones series i'm also one of the few people who prefer Temple of Doom to Raiders.

Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: Camarel] #718444
06/03/13 05:19 AM
06/03/13 05:19 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Love them both, hard to seperate them!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark? [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #718712
06/04/13 11:58 AM
06/04/13 11:58 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I don't feel that these films are very similar for comparison. Yes they are both from the action genre. But maybe it's the uniqueness of Raiders and the fact that it's a 1930s era setting?

Let me be clear - this is not a criticism of Die Hard, which I do like. However, I find Die Hard more similar to other action movies such as Terminator 2, Lethal Weapon, the Matrix, or the Bourne franchise and other shoot-em-up action films of the 80s and 90s. I would say that Die Hard is the best of these bunch, but without the originality of Raiders. I would actually compare Raiders more to the Star Wars trilogy than to Die Hard.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull