GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 541 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,789
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,347
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,561
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The novel...finished....my opinion... #48523
08/19/02 03:59 AM
08/19/02 03:59 AM
New Zealand
Anton The Penguin Offline OP
Underboss
Anton The Penguin  Offline OP
Underboss
New Zealand
(About) 5-7 years ago I read Mario Puzo's brilliant novel The Godfather and have not read it since, therefore forgetting most of it. Soooo, I went down to the nearest 2nd-hand bookstore, found myself a copy, bought it, and read it. Well, this is what I have to say:

[SPOILERS wink ]
A brilliant structure. For those who have not seen the movie I'm sure they would've got a large shock when Bonasera being called on for his service and seeing the body of Santino BEFORE it said how he was killed, which made it all the more better, of course. The Sicilian parts were wonderful, I liked all of that, all the characters were well-developed, as was the plot (and the movie wink ). I didn't find much need for the Dr Jules Segal crap, and I didn't think too much highly of Johnny Fontane's lovelife. Plus who really cares about Lucy Mancini getting a vaginal operation?? But overall a highly entertaining and brilliant novel...not as good as the movie, I think, but great just the same. I like knowing more about Al Neri, Luca Brasi and Appolonia's (always loved that name) family, which was all interesting. Brasi was a mean f*cker...I didn't have much idea. While I see you, my fellow posters, talking about the baby scene (furnace), and I myself reccollect parts of that, it was still rather shocking. And what he did to Capone's gunmen...

I also noticed an UNQUESTIONABLY high amount of sexual referance...and sex...in it. I'm not against it or anything, heh, I just think maybe it was a little uneeded. But hey, my opinion.

It was interesting...and surprising...when I found parts of Part 2...young Vito...in the Novel. I do wish good ol' Puzo would've included Don Ciccio's murder, and the others around him.

Mr Puzo should've made a Godfather Part 2, actually, as in a Novel. I was considering if ever I had spare time I would try to convert Part 2 into a novel, but CHEEZUS that would take long and it would be an insult to Puzo's Trilogy, anyway. Still, it would be interesting.

But anyway, I liked it, I thought it was great, and now I might retire to the VCR and watch The Godfather. smile

What are your views on the novel, the difference with the movies, and the added crap (JS, JF)???

Well, _,.-/' JOEY MANTEGNA '\-.,_ have a nice day.

-Penguin

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisioned
Only after the last fish has been caught

Then you will find that money cannot be eaten.
Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48524
08/19/02 05:40 AM
08/19/02 05:40 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Great revue Anton grin It's a couple of years since I read the book myself too. At the moment I'm reading 'The Last Don' (fantastic)But when I've time I'm going to re-read The Godfather and I'll be able to refresh my memory. I didnt think much of the Jules Lucy thing either if I recall but they put lots of stuff in books to pad them out and help them sell (sex) eek lol

FH

Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48525
08/19/02 09:04 AM
08/19/02 09:04 AM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
what he did to Capones gunman shows how bad he really is. the first time i've read this part, i laugh. i dont know why, maybe the way he did it or how he killed them made me laugh.
FH, i agree with you thats a fantastic book. i only stop reading when my eyes are tired. hehe. this is a good read. . .

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48526
08/19/02 12:20 PM
08/19/02 12:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Puzo was first and foremost a fine storyteller, and the novel is full of great stories that didn't make it to the films. Among them: the Bocchicchios, Al Neri's background as a cop, the Don's rise in the 20's and 30's, Luca and his atrocities, the beating of the two punks by Paulie and his thugs, Nino Valenti, Jules, etc., etc. The films are the all-time pinnacle of movie-making and stand on their own. The films are supremely well-crafted, whereas the novel is often coarsely written, even trashy in parts. But the novel is that much richer for having the wealth of stories Puzo told.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48527
08/19/02 01:08 PM
08/19/02 01:08 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Yes, tho...it was so well written that it could be put into movie form and almost word for word from the novel and acted out...and it didn't look weird when done. The Novel tells the story so great that the movie came out perfect. I like to say that the novel is very close to being a script in itself, that is with the parts most people don't want to see cut from it.

The real problem is that as fans...we want more and when we go back to the novel to give us more there is little left to feed the hunger. Still the novel rocks for reading and the movies rock for watching! and once you have seen the very best, all other leave you still hungry or looking for more.....The bar is set and it is high after the two Godfather films!

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48528
08/19/02 07:41 PM
08/19/02 07:41 PM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
In the late '60s there was a "sexual awakening" or a "sexual revolution" going on and all of the arts--theatre, literature, film, dance, painting etc.--were affected by a new found freedom which sometimes was excessive (like the proverbial kid in a candy store).

As time went by things got more subdued after the initial novelty. The GF novel really wasn't that sexually saturated compared to other stuff at the time.

I agree with CD...there is no more, there is just what is-- the GF films and Novel but it's amazing how we together on this board as well as individually squeeze every drop of pleasure we can get with what we have. That's why Turnbull says about unseen scenes "Oh what I would give to see them". I too wish there were more. [Linked Image]

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: The novel...finished....my opinion... #48529
08/20/02 12:09 AM
08/20/02 12:09 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well said, Camillus and BK! I'm with you 1000% smile

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull