GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Signor Vitelli, VanillaLimeCoke, m2w, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,610
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,465
Posts1,061,361
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40663
09/26/06 04:25 PM
09/26/06 04:25 PM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel_dup1 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Ace_Reutzel_dup1  Offline OP
Wiseguy
St. Louis
You know everyone here has their own opinions of GFIII and Vincent Mancini. In the movie Michael excepted Vincent as his own blood. My question is what would Sonny have thought of his illegitimate son? Sonny loved his family,would he have felt the same love for Vincent?

Thoughts?

wink Ace

There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don`t try to justify them, they can`t be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it.
Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40664
09/26/06 05:18 PM
09/26/06 05:18 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
In spite of his bluster, Sonny was known for his good heart. I'm not sure he would've accepted Vincent as his son, because Sonny was one of those guys that played with the mistress, but was serious with the wife, if you know what I mean. I think Sandra knew about his affairs, but turned a blind eye to them. If Sonny tried to bring his son into the business, she could no longer do that.

If, however, Sonny had lived and allowed Vincent into the Family, I think he might be saddened by his son's temper, knowing the mistakes that his son would make because of it. Don't we always want to keep our children from making the same mistakes we did??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40665
09/26/06 05:35 PM
09/26/06 05:35 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Illegitimate or not, Sonny would have loved Vincent. I think Sonny would have caught hell from Sandra, but rightly so. In the novel at least, Sonny recognized that his temper was his biggest flaw. There was a point (I think with the shooting of Vito & the snatching of Tom Hagen) that Puzo stated that Sonny knew that he must reign in his temper.

I don't think Michael totally accepted Vincent as a true Corleone. Instead, I think Michael wanted so much to be out of the illegitimate side of the world that he would name Vincent a successor. I think Michael finally reached the point where he could not be burdened with the underworld dealings any longer and wanted to rid himself of such responsibility completely. This scene exemplifies Michael's thinking:

MICHAEL: All my life I wanted out. I wanted the family, out.

VINCENT: Well I don't want out. I want the power to preserve the family.

(then)

I'm asking for the order.

<Michael doesn’t say anything, but it’s apparent he’s given the order. The door opens and Connie enters.>

VINCENT (to Connie): It's done.

MICHAEL: Because I can't do it any more.

CONNIE: It doesn't matter. Vincent knows what to do. Come on outside. Take a rest and -- and don't think about it.

Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40666
09/26/06 06:10 PM
09/26/06 06:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I think that Sonny would have accepted and loved Vincent with all his heart. However as SB said, he was a family man who loved his family first and foremost and wouldn't want to shame them by having them find out about his having an illegitimate son.

I also agree with SB in that I don't think that Sonny would have been too happy about having Vincent involved in the family business.

But let's say, for a moment, that Vincent was persistant and chose to go the route that his father had taken no matter what. Then I believe that Sonny would have set Vincent up in his own regime, this way he could keep an eye on him and at the same time would have probably tried to keep it from his wife that Vincent was his illegitimate son.

Although at that point, by giving him a job in the family business, it may have been very hard for Sonny to keep the truth about Vincent from Sandra.

Great question Ace!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40667
09/26/06 07:14 PM
09/26/06 07:14 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
... by giving him a job in the family business, it may have been very hard for Sonny to keep the truth about Vincent from Sandra...
Family Business or not...I'm no so sure Sonny would have tried to keep the knowledge of Vincent from Sandra.

Although I've always considered the character of Vincent just another fabricated piece of bullshit to add needless sensationalism to GFIII...if he HAD existed during Sonny's lifetime and Sonny knew about him, I'm sure he'd love the kid.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40668
09/26/06 07:53 PM
09/26/06 07:53 PM
New Jersey
Obsessed With The GodFather Offline
Capo
Obsessed With The GodFather  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
IMO-I don't think Sonny would try to keep the truth about Vincent to Sandra, or any-one else. Sonny would welcome him into the business & his life!
And Sandra, would have to except that!
I mean we all remember Sonny don't we?

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash Fan!
Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40669
09/26/06 08:26 PM
09/26/06 08:26 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Obsessed With The GodFather:
...I mean we all remember Sonny don't we?
lol

Exactly, we all DO know Sonny and I agree with you that Sandra would have little choice but to accept the existence of Vincent. As we see in the film she knew full well her husband was messing around and there was little she could do to stop it. While she'd be none too happy about this bastard child and would make sure her own, legitimate children got the full 'Corleone' birthrights they deserved (which FFC apparently didn't consider in GFIII), she would not be in a position to make much of a fuss with regard to Sonny's taking care of Vincent. (She'd probably be grateful there was only ONE!)

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40670
09/26/06 09:45 PM
09/26/06 09:45 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
If, however, Sonny had lived and allowed Vincent into the Family, I think he might be saddened by his son's temper, knowing the mistakes that his son would make because of it. Don't we always want to keep our children from making the same mistakes we did??
Exactly, SB!
I believe that Sonny would have seen an obligation to Vincent, but an even greater obligation to his "legitimate" children by Sandra. Being a warmer person than Michael, I think his attitude toward Vincent would have been less begrudging than Michael's was initially. And, as SB said, Sonny would have seen in Vincent a mirror of his own flaws. Sonny might not have been able to correct his own faults, but he would have spent a lot of time trying to correct them in Vincent. Vincent probably would have taken Sonny's advice to heart.
Michael, btw, needed exactly those qualities that Sonny would have tried to correct. His plan was to complete his own "legitimacy," with Vincent acting as his in-the-wings pit bull. Michael would have been the new international Donald Trump, and Vincent would be the new Joe Zasa--but loyal to Michael. Anyone who messed with Michael would get Vincent.
And, as DC said, Ace: good question! One that hasn't been asked before! Amazing! smile

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40671
09/27/06 09:15 AM
09/27/06 09:15 AM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel_dup1 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Ace_Reutzel_dup1  Offline OP
Wiseguy
St. Louis
I am honored to have posted something that has never been asked. [Linked Image]

Like TB said, Sonny was a much warmer person than Michael so no matter what his big heart would not have let him disown Vincent. I am unsure whether or not Sonny would want it publicly known that Vincent was his son.

wink Ace

There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don`t try to justify them, they can`t be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it.
Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40672
09/27/06 10:35 AM
09/27/06 10:35 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
We're mixing apples and oranges here. Sonny never knew he had an illegimate son.... not just so because he died before Vincent was born but because the novel ended without Vincent being born. Thus, Vincent was a bastard TWICE... once because he was born out of wedlock and secondly because he was invented solely for the bastard movie of the trilogy. grin

Re: What would Sonny have thought of Vincent? #40673
09/27/06 12:18 PM
09/27/06 12:18 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by SC:
... he was invented solely for the bastard movie of the trilogy. grin
lol

Now where have I heard THAT old line before...???

orange orange Apple orange orange

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull