GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, m2w, furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 411 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,397
Posts1,060,131
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael's gun #40511
09/05/06 07:22 PM
09/05/06 07:22 PM
C
Corleone12345 Offline OP
Associate
Corleone12345  Offline OP
C
Associate
does anyone know the model gun that clemenza gives michael to kill the turk and the police captian?

thanks

Re: Michael's gun #40512
09/05/06 08:56 PM
09/05/06 08:56 PM
Ann Arbor
S
stavka Offline
Made Member
stavka  Offline
S
Made Member
Ann Arbor
I believe it to be a Webley .450 ADAMS or maybe a .455 (as distinct from .45ACP) centerfire ? an odd piece in it?s birthday, for British manufactures who tended to favor ?top-break? revolvers rather than side load cylinders ? but a weapon made, sold, and widely distributed. It maintains the profile of what many GF fans assume to be some variance of the Colt .38 special

The Webley grip, while odd by comparative American gun design standards due to its rounded butt, and typical for British pistols that normally would take a lanyard ring, though not in the case of the short barreled .450 centerfire ? would be concealed below the white grooved fabric wrap/tape.

http://members.aol.com/hrftx/TBBD4.jpg

Such a pistol could easily have been stolen, or brought home post-war from Europe, making it quite untraceable and rather unremarkable.

In contrast for viewers the .38 Special, first introduced as a pistol round by Colt in 1902 ? and used by the 1927 model Colt Detective Special remains a less exotic possibility.

http://thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/colt38orig.jpg

The .38 would be the easiest answer

"I don't shine shoes no more..."
Re: Michael's gun #40513
09/06/06 11:50 AM
09/06/06 11:50 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel says it was a .22 "filled with soft-nosed bullets..." That's a typical Mafia up-close assassination weapon. (In a deleted scene, that's the gun Clemenza gives to Rocco.) But in the film, the camera spends several seconds on the gun Michael uses--and the muzzle appears to be far too wide for a .22. It's at least a .38. I doubt it could be a .45 or .454. Also, though the butt was taped, it looked square at the bottom, not rounded. However, the ejector mechanism looked very much like the Webley in the photo in Stavka's link.
Why use a .38 instead of a .22? Perhaps because, as Clemenza said, he wanted to leave it "noisy" to scare off would-be good samaritans.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael's gun #40514
09/07/06 03:07 AM
09/07/06 03:07 AM
Germany
Sammy_The_Fish Offline
Wiseguy
Sammy_The_Fish  Offline
Wiseguy
Germany
The JPG that Stavka has the link to in his post is not a Webley, but a Colt Detective Special, which from the looks of things in the basement scene, is indeed the pistol Clemenza gives Michael. The gun has some distinctive features wich give it away, even in the brief shots in which you see it in the film.
First, the ejector rod under the barrel is completely exposed, with no lug under the barrel to protect the end of the rod (as on a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special), nor a full shroud that the rod fits into when the cylinder is shut (as seen on Ruger revolvers and later versions of the Colt).
Secondly, the cylinder looks like it rotates counter-clockwise when Michael pulls the trigger- the counter-clockwise rotation is a dead giveaway that it's a Colt, since the other two major American revolver maufacturers of the time (S&W and Ruger) both had clockwise rotating cylinders.
It looks like what Michael has is a Series 1 Colt Detective's Special, chambered for .38 Special. This revolver was first introduced in 1927 as a smaller, more concealable version of the very popular Colt Police Positive .38 (which was in and of itself a version of the Colt .45 Revolver used in WWI and carried on at least two occassions by Indiana Jones). The original butt is indeed squared off, as is obviously seen even with the tape in the film and in Stavka's link. However, it looks to me like the grips in the film aren't original, as they're much broader at the top with a sort of thumb-rest built in. This was apparently a common modification made to this pistol because the size of the gap between the front of the grip and the rear of the trigger guard was quite deep and wide, and was uncomfortable for shooters with small hands. This is why the sort of larger, beefier grip that Michael's gun has is basically the standard for revolvers of this size in modern times.

Sammy the Fish

Say it to his face, just one time!
Re: Michael's gun #40515
09/07/06 12:44 PM
09/07/06 12:44 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Perhaps because, as Clemenza said, he wanted to leave it "noisy" to scare off would-be good samaritans.
Actually it was "pain in the ass innocent bystanders." wink

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael's gun #40516
09/07/06 12:57 PM
09/07/06 12:57 PM
Ann Arbor
S
stavka Offline
Made Member
stavka  Offline
S
Made Member
Ann Arbor
First linked image was/is a Webley, second a Colt...I've never owned a Webley or any British handgun for that matter so I'm not sure what direction the cylinder rotates on civillian modles, but the military ones all rotate clockwise

....here's another image of a Webley "J Frame" - in this case a hammerless four rounder - in contrast Michael's gun clearly has a hammer.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/centennial.jpg

in this frame, it seems the revolver has either a very short grip, or it falls back in a more English style -look at michael's two lower fingers distanced from the trigger assembly or actually below the grip

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/bathgod.jpg

"I don't shine shoes no more..."
Re: Michael's gun #40517
09/08/06 12:07 AM
09/08/06 12:07 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] Perhaps because, as Clemenza said, he wanted to leave it "noisy" to scare off would-be good samaritans.
Actually it was "pain in the ass innocent bystanders." wink [/b]
Yes, that's what he said...but the good samaritans are the pains in the ass. wink

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull