GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 696 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,930
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,616
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,466
Posts1,061,468
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38451
04/30/06 06:40 PM
04/30/06 06:40 PM
new york
M
marco Offline OP
Wiseguy
marco  Offline OP
M
Wiseguy
new york
After the attempt on Michael's life in Tahoe he talks to Tom alone and tells him that eventhough it upset Tom, he has kept him out of the family business and because of that Tom was only one in the family that he can truly trust. My question is if Tom was upset at Michael for keeping him out of the family business, doesnt that make him a prime suspect in the shooting? Hes being kept out of the loop and he could have been approached by Roth just like Fredo was. We know that he knew Johnny Ola "from the old days" so they did have a connection, plus Tom probably still had connections back in New York. Granted Tom was never on the muscle end of the family business, but he knew enough to know how to get a hit done.

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38452
04/30/06 07:07 PM
04/30/06 07:07 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I don't think Michael's being completely honest with Tom in this scene. What he's doing is touching on Tom's vulnerabilities to feel him out just like he does later with Roth and then Pentangelli. He's probably certain almost immediately that Tom had nothing at all to do with the shooting...but must perform this little schmoozfest in order to have Tom completely comfortable when he's put in charge of not only the Corleone Family, but Mike's wife & children as well.

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38453
04/30/06 07:48 PM
04/30/06 07:48 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that the one thing that Michael could count on, always, was Tom's loyalty. Tom had an orphan's devotion to the family that took him off the streets and saved his life. He adored Vito, and would never, ever have gone against the Corleone Family.

The conversation that Michael has with Tom after the shooting, is one of total manipulation. Tom was far closer to Sonny, and for him to be told that he had Michael's love, that Michael thought of him as a brother, you can see the gratitude in Tom's eyes. Michael played him like a cheap banjo, to make sure that Tom would follow orders after Michael leaves for his trip.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38454
04/30/06 08:00 PM
04/30/06 08:00 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by marco:
My question is if Tom was upset at Michael for keeping him out of the family business, doesnt that make him a prime suspect in the shooting?
You have to remember that Mike knows that Tom thinks of him as a brother, so he knows that Tom would never...

Ah, never mind.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38455
04/30/06 08:37 PM
04/30/06 08:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Marco, you raise a fair question: Wouldn't Tom's being left out of things give him a motivation for betraying Michael?
But, as Apple, SB and moustachepete said, Tom's loyalty was never, ever in question. Michael was telling the literal truth when he said (after the Tahoe shooting), "Right now, you're the only one I can completely trust." Yes, indeed. And he proceeded to play Tom like a violin. Tom practically breaks down and cries when Michael says he's always loved him as a brother. But, after Michael settles things in his favor in Cuba, he's back to mistreating Tom. mad

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38456
04/30/06 08:46 PM
04/30/06 08:46 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
...Tom's loyalty was never, ever in question...
Except for later on when Tom dared to confront Michael on the need to have Roth's plane 'met'.

Before that even....since we know Michael had to have been spying on Tom to know he'd been offered that 'other' position.

Of course by that time, Michael had been betrayed by just about everyone close to him including Kay...so it's almost understandable that he would feel a need to trail Tom as well.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38457
04/30/06 08:54 PM
04/30/06 08:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Good points, Apple. smile I'm not disagreeing, but:
Michael, champion manipulator, had an objective in mind in that scene in the boathouse: to get someone to volunteer for your basic suicide mission. Tom was a prop. By humiliating Tom ("Y'know, Tom, you surprise me...") Mike the Manipulator wasn't so much questioning his loyalty as forcing Rocco and Neri to consider how they might avoid his disapproval. But Michael made the choice when he said, "Rocco?" He didn't say, "Al?" because he needed Neri at that point, but Rocco had become expendible.

The bit about the "house and hotels" offer that Tom got was Neri's attempt to deposition Tom. IMO, Michael hit Tom with that not because he questioned his loyalty (Michael already would have known that Tom turned the offer down). It was intended to put Tom at a disadvantage--to further denigrate the value of his opinion that an attempt shouldn't be made on Roth's life, the better to induce Rocco to agree to take on the suicide mission.

IMO, Michael's treatment of his "brother" Tom was shameful. To be fair to Michael: Tom was Sonny's choice as a brother, and Vito's as consigliere--not Michael's And, Tom, although 100 percent loyal, let the side down more than once.

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38458
04/30/06 08:59 PM
04/30/06 08:59 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
... On the other hand, Tom, although 100 percent loyal, let the side down more than once...
Proving yet again (once to Sonny, then to Vito and now to Michael) that Tom was simply NOT a 'wartime consiglieri'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38459
04/30/06 09:28 PM
04/30/06 09:28 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
The bit about the "house and hotels" offer that Tom got was Neri's attempt to deposition Tom. IMO, Michael hit Tom with that not because he questioned his loyalty (Michael already would have known that Tom turned the offer down). It was intended to put Tom at a disadvantage--to further denigrate the value of his opinion that an attempt shouldn't be made on Roth's life, the better to induce Rocco to agree to take on the suicide mission.
It's always seemed to me that the boathouse scene is really about Fredo. The reason why Michael has to kill Roth, and all his enemies, is that if he lets any of them off, then he certainly has to let his brother off.

For me, the emotion of the dialogue between Tom and Michael comes from Michael insisting on a reaffirmation of Tom's total loyalty, "in these things I have to do", which is really Michael's code for killing Fredo.

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38460
04/30/06 09:43 PM
04/30/06 09:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
The scene has nothing at all to do with Fredo, aside from the fact that throughout the meeting we can see him fishing at the lake with Anthony. This 'vision' is merely a setup for the audience for what is to come. Fredo's fate had been sealed far earlier, and that plan had most likely already been set in motion by Neri.

This scene was about Michael and Tom. Even Roth, Neri & Rocco played a somewhat secondary role to the dynamics going on between the 'brothers'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38461
05/01/06 11:21 AM
05/01/06 11:21 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
The scene has nothing at all to do with Fredo...
Apple
Also, I think that Tom would have to have been a total idiot not to have figured out, well before that scene, that Fredo was a dead man. He surely would have sussed out that Michael's "reconciliation" with Fredo at Mama's wake was a trap--just as Michael's assurance to Carlo that he'd be "my right-hand man in Nevada" was a trap.

You have to wonder what Tom must have felt with that knowledge--and the implication that if Michael would kill Fredo, he wouldn't hesitate to kill Tom. What a chill must have run through Tom when Michael said that if he didn't go along with him, "you can take your wife, your family and your mistress and move to Vegas..." Fat chance!

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38462
05/01/06 11:38 AM
05/01/06 11:38 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...You have to wonder what Tom must have felt with that knowledge--and the implication that if Michael would kill Fredo, he wouldn't hesitate to kill Tom...
Well, much as I hate to hold up the book to the film(s)...there is that statement Tom makes to Kay near the end of the novel that she is the only one who is completely safe from being murdered on Michael's order.

While that exchange is not recreated on film, it can be assumed that Mr. Duvall carried over that knowledge into his portrayal of Tom.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38463
05/01/06 01:48 PM
05/01/06 01:48 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
As long as Tom never betrayed Michael, he wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38464
05/01/06 03:21 PM
05/01/06 03:21 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
As long as Tom never betrayed Michael, he wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Agreed. In the book, Kay thinks that one thing that really distinguishes Michael is that he's always fair.

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38465
05/01/06 03:40 PM
05/01/06 03:40 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Yes, and he's really 'fair' to Tom in GFII.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom being put in charge in Tahoe #38466
05/01/06 04:52 PM
05/01/06 04:52 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Back to the topic at hand, Tom was definitely being manipulated by Michael. Sonny and Michael both realized that Tom was not a wartime consigliere, and that he was more of a negotiator....Sonny tells Tom no more patching things up, that he wants Sollozzo, and later "Pop had Genco, look what I've got" and then Michael in GF I challenging Tom's advice to sonny saying "We can't wait ...that they will "kill Pop' and later ... "You're not a wartime consigliere....and "Are you going to come along with me in these things I've gotta do?"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull