GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Captbony1999, Havana, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,447
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,435
Posts1,060,923
Members10,349
Most Online992
04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tessio's Last Stand #38006
04/22/06 12:01 PM
04/22/06 12:01 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
As I was watching Tessio's final scene a few minutes ago, it occurred to me how really chilling and at the same time sad that moment is...seeing him confidently walk out of the house with Tom, be casually approached by Cicci, spurned by Tom and then suddenly surrounded by the other buttons and in that instant realizing what was going on and that it was all over.

So much happens in those few seconds. And unlike the death of Carlo which many of us revel in, I think watching these last moments of Tessio is a truly sad experience.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38007
04/22/06 12:03 PM
04/22/06 12:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Right on Apple. There is also in that scene Tom looking out of the window as Tessio is taken away. He looks forlorn. As he would later say, "The Corleone family used to be like the Roman Empire."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38008
04/22/06 12:08 PM
04/22/06 12:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well said, Apple. And he's almost poignant when he says, "Tom can you get me off the hook? For old time's sake." It's on the thin edge of a plea, but he pulls back from being maudlin or hysterical (like Carlo) because he knows he's about to get what he deserves.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38009
04/22/06 12:22 PM
04/22/06 12:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It is especially poignant because Tessio knows his fate is sealed, and even after Tom tells him "Cant do that Sallie," Tessio asks Tom to tell Mike that he always liked him, and this was just business. Because Tessio knew the price he would pay as a traitor, he had to know his plea was in vain, because the plea to let him off the hook "for old times' sake" was a personal plea, and this execution was just business.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38010
04/22/06 12:35 PM
04/22/06 12:35 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Originally posted by dontomasso:
...even after Tom tells him "Cant do that Sallie," Tessio asks Tom to tell Mike that he always liked him, and this was just business. Because Tessio knew the price he would pay as a traitor, he had to know his plea was in vain...
Yes, he really did know his plea was in vain which was probably why it was asked so halfheartedly...definitely said out of pure emotion, knowing he had nothing to lose but may as well try anyway.

And I belive it is BEFORE making that plea that Tessio tells Tom to tell Mike it was 'only business'. Which makes the final plea even twice as poignant.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38011
05/02/06 05:18 PM
05/02/06 05:18 PM
Atlanta
S
swGAboy Offline
Associate
swGAboy  Offline
S
Associate
Atlanta
Of all the "business men" that were killed in the GF movies, perhaps Tessio died the most dignified death. As stated earlier, he apparently did like Michael and did what he did because of business. After all, Michael complimented him on the move. And, of course, he knew he had to pay the price when he found out that he had bet on the wrong horse - so to speak. He realized his situation, understood it, and accepted it. Who else would've left such a parting message to the man who ordered his death?

I agree with what was said earlier. His plea to Tom was almost half-hearted. He knew he was done for. That whole scene was one of the most striking scenes in the entire trilogy for me. For lack of a better word, there was Tessio's grace. And we also saw how cold-hearted and business like Tom was too.

BTW, did the book mention how Tessio was whacked? I'm guessing that he was driven out into the country side and shot. And I'm also guessing that the men showed him some respect in doing it.

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38012
05/02/06 06:40 PM
05/02/06 06:40 PM
California
WildTrout Offline
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline
Wiseguy
California
I've read the book several times, but I don't recall any details of Tessio's execution. orange

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38013
05/02/06 06:43 PM
05/02/06 06:43 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by swGAboy:
did the book mention how Tessio was whacked? I'm guessing that he was driven out into the country side and shot. And I'm also guessing that the men showed him some respect in doing it.
No, the novel doesn't give any aditional details.

He's simply put in the waiting car and driven off.

(And please -- no one mention how Weingardner describes it in TGFR so I don't have to write my standard answer about how that book has no more credibility than anyone else's opinion with respect to events not portrayed or described by FFC or MP.)

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38014
05/02/06 08:09 PM
05/02/06 08:09 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
That Weingardner fellow tries to depict Tessio's execution in the very beginning of GF Returns. He brings in a 'new' character and give this big dramatic account and tries to spice it up with blood, brains etc....but to tell the truth it kind've leaves you cold. You get the feeling it wasn't really necessary but was thrown in to hook or somehow satisfy the reader who's supposedly been waiting 30 years to find out how this guy died.

Completely unimpressive.

By comparison, reading the second-by-second account of Sonny's death in The Godfather gave me chills even though I'd seen it depicted on film hundreds of times.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38015
05/02/06 09:41 PM
05/02/06 09:41 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Tessio's final scene is the finest scene in the trilogy, and its encapsulated by one moment. When Tom says 'I can't go either Sal' and the other guys surround him...Tessio looks Tom DEAD in the eye for about 10 seconds. That moment of acting supremecy by Vigoda spoke absolute volumes in the space of a few moments. In that span of time Tessio realizes he has been found out, that everyone around him knows...and that he is going to die...all that in just one look...absolute genius!

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38016
05/02/06 09:45 PM
05/02/06 09:45 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:
...Tessio looks Tom DEAD in the eye for about 10 seconds...
More like 1 second, I think.

The entire scene takes about 10 seconds.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38017
05/02/06 09:47 PM
05/02/06 09:47 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
No, its longer then a second. probably less then 10, i'll compromise at 5.

Do you always have to contradict people. I try and say something passionate about a scene and you're always there with some putdown. Just becuase you think you are the senior GF fan

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38018
05/02/06 10:55 PM
05/02/06 10:55 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
It wasn't a 'putdown', I just don't agree that Tessio looks at Tom for a full 10 seconds. That would simply be endless.

From the moment Cicci walks up to Tom & Sal to when Tom motions the guys to take him away...just about 10 seconds have gone by.

The rest of your post is pretty accurate, in fact it's almost identical to mine which opened the thread.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38019
05/02/06 10:57 PM
05/02/06 10:57 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
...Do you always have to contradict people....
Not always...only when they're wrong.

Sr GF Fan,
(except for Turnbull, Don Cardi & Sicilian Babe)

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38020
05/03/06 05:05 AM
05/03/06 05:05 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
See, I don't think I am wrong. There is no way that scene lasts 10 seconds, go time it, go on! I suspect you have nothing better to do, other then look for posts to rip apart and then accuse of plaigerism to your own. I actually wrote a much longer winded account of that scene a couple of years ago when I first signed up.

And you ain't the senior GF fan because any true fan would RESPECT others and not constantly mock them like some buffoon

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38021
05/03/06 05:23 AM
05/03/06 05:23 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Not always...only when they're wrong.
Apple
Reminded me of "Not everybody Tom, only my enemies" grin

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38022
05/03/06 09:13 AM
05/03/06 09:13 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
... I suspect you have nothing better to do, other then look for posts to rip apart ...
You're right.

... any true fan would RESPECT others and not constantly mock them like some buffoon
You're wrong.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38023
05/03/06 09:55 AM
05/03/06 09:55 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
No. I'm right. Well I don't care how 'made' you are on here. I'm not going to take your unneeded mockery lying down.

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38024
05/03/06 10:12 AM
05/03/06 10:12 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
HF, you appear to be pre-occupied with references to BB status.

Earlier you suggested that I think I'm a 'senior GF fan', and now in your most recent post you refer to how seemingly 'made' I am on here.

Frankly, neither of the above ever occurred to me or probably anybody else.

What I do is discuss the GF movies and various other topics and yes, do admittedly at times display an attitude which some people have trouble dealing with.

That's not my family, HF...that's me.

Speaking of 'unneeded mockery', I can't help but notice your numerous contribution to another thread in which my screen name is inserted into variousl GF dialogue. That's fine, I've been enjoying you guys having some fun and there's really no harm done.

But I suggest that instead of putting on some demeanor of trying to take me on, just be yourself and discuss the films and take it like a man when somebody happens to disagree with your interpretations of various scenes and characters.

See you soon,
AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38025
05/03/06 10:22 AM
05/03/06 10:22 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
HF, you appear to be pre-occupied with references to BB status.
Well, I wouldn't be if you were actually pulled up for insultng members opinions

What I do is discuss the GF movies and various other topics and yes, do admittedly at times display an attitude which some people have trouble dealing with.
So, you won't mind if someone comes back at you with an attitude you don't like dealing with, and that member has every right to when he is constantly told to watch the films and listen like he didn't before.

Speaking of 'unneeded mockery', I can't help but notice your numerous contribution to another thread in which my screen name is inserted into variousl GF dialogue. That's fine, I've been enjoying you guys having some fun and there's really no harm done.
No, no. That was needed mockery, as one of the people (that don't exist) who also took exception to you spoke out, and as you had already quoted and mocked me that day, I felt obliged to say something too.

But I suggest that instead of putting on some demeanor of trying to take me on, just be yourself and discuss the films and take it like a man when somebody happens to disagree with your interpretations of various scenes and characters.
It ain't no demeanor love. Up to now I've been putting one on, accepting your annoying ways for the sake of peacwe, but you are pushing me too far when you rubbish me, not disagreeing, but rubbishing, and I can't have that.

Be Lucky

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38026
05/03/06 10:26 AM
05/03/06 10:26 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
[QUOTE] ... That was needed mockery...
Oh, I see...you are now to decide what is 'needed' and 'unneeded' mockery.

lol

Keep it coming, HF...I'm really beginning to enjoy your posts.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38027
05/03/06 10:30 AM
05/03/06 10:30 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
If its in retaliation then its needed. If its not then it isn't. I decide for myself yes thats right.

In direct contrast, Im not enjoying yours. And its a shame because you clearly are a major GF fan, its a shame you have to overshadow it with all this pseudo bravado

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38028
05/03/06 10:32 AM
05/03/06 10:32 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Ok, BOTH of you can cut it out now. There are now two different topics where you two have gone at it. And you know what they say about three strikes, right?

Cardi's Last Stand wink

If either of you feel the need to continue this, then please take it to a PM.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38029
05/03/06 10:50 AM
05/03/06 10:50 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Agreed, Don Cardi. This got way too silly and beyond the original topic.

Of course, what I would like to do is delete my first post and therefore the entire thread....BUT I CAN'T!!!!!

Best,
AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tessio's Last Stand #38030
05/03/06 10:52 AM
05/03/06 10:52 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Well, it got out of hand because of yourself.

How about editing out the bad posts and leaving the nice ones in?

Re: Tessio's Last Stand [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #387039
04/20/07 10:47 AM
04/20/07 10:47 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
Wadda bunch o' sissie-mary's. You both woulda been shot dead by now - or kicked in the street with a running fire hydrant spraying water all over you.

A-hem

I just wanted to mention that, in the novel, Tom makes a plea to Mike to see if Tessio "can get off the hook." Michael says "no way."

You see, Tom did want Tessio to be saved, and the fact that he couldn't save him when Tessio later asked to be saved probably hurt Tom even more. If Tessio had accepted his fate in silence, Tom may have been able to live with himself without a second look back out the winda.

Re: Tessio's Last Stand [Re: Buttmunker] #387381
04/21/07 09:54 PM
04/21/07 09:54 PM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
I also think this is too ruthless. Perhaps Micheal can forgive Tessio,the loyal friend of Vito for decades. And after Tessio is thrown out of his position he can do no harm.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Tessio's Last Stand [Re: wtwt5237] #387385
04/21/07 10:27 PM
04/21/07 10:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
it's all so interesting because in the novel it is Tom who tells Kay that treachery can't be forgiven.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tessio's Last Stand [Re: AppleOnYa] #387816
04/23/07 01:55 PM
04/23/07 01:55 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
As I was watching Tessio's final scene a few minutes ago, it occurred to me how really chilling and at the same time sad that moment is...seeing him confidently walk out of the house with Tom, be casually approached by Cicci, spurned by Tom and then suddenly surrounded by the other buttons and in that instant realizing what was going on and that it was all over.

So much happens in those few seconds. And unlike the death of Carlo which many of us revel in, I think watching these last moments of Tessio is a truly sad experience.

Apple

Sad? Yes but only for a milisecond... it was Tessio or Michael(the Corleone family).... he made a decision and paid the price. He should have stood by Michael.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Tessio's Last Stand [Re: ScarFather] #387820
04/23/07 02:03 PM
04/23/07 02:03 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I wonder if Tom was Cicci's buffa for this job.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull