GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mr_white, 1 invisible), 376 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,528
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37398
03/13/06 10:00 PM
03/13/06 10:00 PM
Urza Soltan Offline OP
Wiseguy
Urza Soltan  Offline OP
Wiseguy
In Part II, when Will Cicci is testifying at the Senate hearings, the Senator asks him how orders were passed. He asks if a buffer was involved. Will didn't seem to understand, then he remembered. "Oh yeah, a buffer. Yeah, the family had alotta buffers." Then he cracks a smile and everyone in the room starts laughing.

I never understood that...what's the joke in that? Why's everybody laughing. I can't help but laugh everytime I heard that, simply cause of the way he says it, and the fact that I don't get the joke.

Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37399
03/13/06 11:26 PM
03/13/06 11:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That's one of the best little touches in a great scene. One of the nice things about that scene is that it shows the cultural difference between a Mafia guy (Cicci) and someone who's "well bred" (the Senator). The Senator, an educated man, uses "buffer" to describe people between Cicc and the boss. Cicci obviously never heard of the word "buffer" used in that context (he was probably told, "You never go to da boss direct--ya go t'ru your capo") so he says, "Say what?" The Senator explains, and Cicci gets it: "Yeah, da family had a lotta buffiz..." It's just a perfect bit of dialog in a perfect scene.

Speaking of perfection: Joe Spinell, who played Cicci, was absolutely perfect in his role. He never did much memorable stuff before or after in his career, but he shone in the Trilogy. If you do the "search" function, you'll find that our members here have posted lots of thoughts about Cicci--far out of proportion to his relatively minor role in GF and II. I count that as a tribute to his performance, and a tribute to Spinell's performance and to his selection for the role.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37400
03/13/06 11:33 PM
03/13/06 11:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I agree TB, Spinell played a good part in GFII.

I also enjoyed him as gangster Tony Gazzo in Rocky.

Another movie that he was in, which I enjoyed, was the the movie Cops and Robbers with Joe Bologna and Cliff Gorman.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37401
03/14/06 02:24 AM
03/14/06 02:24 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Spinell.....Another movie that he was in, which I enjoyed, was the the movie Cops and Robbers with Joe Bologna and Cliff Gorman.
There's an excellent film that gets little or none of its well deserved praise.

I remember Spinell sitting on his blanket in Central Park with the picnic basket full of money, wearing that totally ridiculous flowered shirt. lol

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37402
03/14/06 10:42 AM
03/14/06 10:42 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] Spinell.....Another movie that he was in, which I enjoyed, was the the movie Cops and Robbers with Joe Bologna and Cliff Gorman.
There's an excellent film that gets little or none of its well deserved praise.

I remember Spinell sitting on his blanket in Central Park with the picnic basket full of money, wearing that totally ridiculous flowered shirt. lol [/b]
"It's alriiiight." lol lol

Yes, an excellent movie. Never did get the recognition that it should have gotten.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37403
03/14/06 12:32 PM
03/14/06 12:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
He also had a bit part in "Farewell My Lovely," another underrated film with Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37404
03/14/06 12:42 PM
03/14/06 12:42 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I remember the movie, but only from seeing it in the theatre so I don't remember Spinell. I should re-watch it.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37405
03/14/06 03:59 PM
03/14/06 03:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Willie Cicci is, without a doubt, one of Mr. Babe's favorite characters. Spinell was fantastic, as TB pointed out earlier. And he also spawned one of my family's most oft-repeated Godfather lines "Cicci! A porta!".

Don't want to hijack here, but I will tell a little story about that line. My father was a hospital pharmacist and the hospital director's name was Frank, who my father called "Cheech". One of the pharmacy technician's was from India and didn't speak English all that well. He asked where the name "Cheech" came from. My father explained that it was an Italian nickname for Frank, and encouraged the poor, innocent man to not only refer to the hospital director as Cheech, but to stand at the doorway and repeat that Cicc! A porta! phrase, telling him that it meant, "Please let me open the door for you, Frank." This poor man, trying to become an American citizen, would've rather died than speak to the director of the hospital that way, but he did it for years, thinking he was sucking up.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37406
03/19/06 12:17 AM
03/19/06 12:17 AM
Athens, GA
E
Eddie Mozzarella Offline
Wiseguy
Eddie Mozzarella  Offline
E
Wiseguy
Athens, GA
Cicci's like the Wierzbowski of the GF series. You'll get that analogy if you're a fan of Cameron's ALIENS. wink

Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37407
03/20/06 02:11 PM
03/20/06 02:11 PM
Kansas City
irishmike Offline
Capo
irishmike  Offline
Capo
Kansas City
Joe Spinell was also in The Seven-Ups in a small scene. He is a hood taken in to be questioned. Roy Schieder is a cop and obviously getting reaady to "Beat" some kind of statement out of him, when Joe's chracter says something like, "Look at my knuckles (his knuckles are all misshapen)--The cops that did this worked on me for 12 hours and I didn't tell them s***. And I ain't tellin' you s*** either." Schieder kind of looks at him, realizes this guy will never talk and just tells the other cops to lock him back up.

"....but your father never TRUSTED Hyman Roth."
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37408
03/20/06 03:27 PM
03/20/06 03:27 PM
Queens, New York City/Mulberry...
F
FortunatoParadise Offline
Wiseguy
FortunatoParadise  Offline
F
Wiseguy
Queens, New York City/Mulberry...
He also worke in Maniac, right? He had this blues brothers's like glasses and buffalo billed some girls. It was not a very good movie, but it showed Spinell as a main character.

Frankie P, I made it to Gangster BB. Net! What a hell, well communicate throw the PM... Speak soon, Schifosa
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37409
03/22/06 12:06 AM
03/22/06 12:06 AM
Willie Cicci Maniac Offline
Associate
Willie Cicci Maniac  Offline
Associate
Yeah Maniac was great.

Sal, Tom, the Boss says he'll come in a separate car. He says for you two to go on ahead.

The family had a lot of buffers

- Willie Cicci
Re: "Yeah. The family had alotta buffas" #37410
03/22/06 08:35 PM
03/22/06 08:35 PM
New Jersey
Obsessed With The GodFather Offline
Capo
Obsessed With The GodFather  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
That's one of the best little touches in a great scene. One of the nice things about that scene is that it shows the cultural difference between a Mafia guy (Cicci) and someone who's "well bred" (the Senator). The Senator, an educated man, uses "buffer" to describe people between Cicc and the boss. Cicci obviously never heard of the word "buffer" used in that context (he was probably told, "You never go to da boss direct--ya go t'ru your capo") so he says, "Say what?" The Senator explains, and Cicci gets it: "Yeah, da family had a lotta buffiz..." It's just a perfect bit of dialog in a perfect scene.

Speaking of perfection: Joe Spinell, who played Cicci, was absolutely perfect in his role. He never did much memorable stuff before or after in his career, but he shone in the Trilogy. If you do the "search" function, you'll find that our members here have posted lots of thoughts about Cicci--far out of proportion to his relatively minor role in GF and II. I count that as a tribute to his performance, and a tribute to Spinell's performance and to his selection for the role.
Excellent Post 100% agree! smile

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash Fan!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull