GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 419 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,415
Posts1,060,537
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wierd #37164
03/04/06 09:21 AM
03/04/06 09:21 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
2 days ago I was watching GF1 again. Maybe it's possible that I'm wrong, but this is what I was confused about:

In the big meeting (Vito-Barzini-Tattaglia etc) Vito says something like: '...swear at the lives of my grandchilderen..'

But at that point he didn't have one...that's what I thought. Michael didn't had anthony at that point...Sonny wasn't around anymore...Fredo didn't had childeren, nor did Connie (at that point)..

Correct or incorrect? confused

Re: Wierd #37165
03/04/06 09:40 AM
03/04/06 09:40 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Incorrect.

Vito had at least seven grandchildren at that point (including Tom's children).

Sonny had four, Connie had one (Victor)(although I'm not 100% certain he was born yet) and Tom had two kids who were born at the time of that meeting. Remember they all met Vito upon his return from the hospital.

Re: Wierd #37166
03/04/06 01:49 PM
03/04/06 01:49 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
Mmm....yeah. I totally forgot that part...

Re: Wierd #37167
03/04/06 06:20 PM
03/04/06 06:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
SC, Not only are you right about Tom and Sonny already having children, but Connie must have had Victor by that point. When Carlo first beats her, she's very obviously pregnant. If she hadn't given birth by the time of the meeting, it would've been darned close.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Wierd #37168
03/06/06 12:24 PM
03/06/06 12:24 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
New question about the meeting:

Vito says something like: "...if a bolt of lightening strikes him...I will blame some of the people in this room."

Is this part 'the lightening bolt' meant as real or as a sort of expression for something else..

Cause if it is real it doesn't make any sense to me. Then he just could have said: "If my son dies I'll blame some of the people in this room..." and that he didn't cause that was the first part of his speech were he says that nothing should happen to michael.

Re: Wierd #37169
03/06/06 12:35 PM
03/06/06 12:35 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
I think he just used some exagerations, to make clear that his son HAD TO come home safely. He knew they where gonna come after Michael, so he couldn't say something like "yeah, I kinda want him to come home, perhaps". He had to make his point of view very, very clear.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Wierd #37170
03/06/06 12:57 PM
03/06/06 12:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by M.M. Floors:

Vito says something like: "...if a bolt of lightening strikes him...I will blame some of the people in this room."

Is this part 'the lightening bolt' meant as real or as a sort of expression for something else..

I think the "lightening bolt" comment is a part of a number of possibilities that Vito envisioned as ways Michael could be assassinated. He mentioned for example the chance that Michael would commit suicide in his jail cell.
What he was saying was that not only should Michael get home safely, but that Michael's safety was the resopnsibility of all the five families as well as their associates in Sicily.

Remember, a lot of Mafia hits appear to be "accidents" someone "trips" from a 50 story building, or happens to go into the East River with a pair of concrete boots... lots of accidental death.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Wierd #37171
03/06/06 01:44 PM
03/06/06 01:44 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
That lightning bolt comment was the closest we hear of Vito ever uttering a threat. He is really telling everyone in that room that they'd better not dare even THINK about harming Michael.

I think its one of Vito's best lines in the movie.

Re: Wierd #37172
03/06/06 02:39 PM
03/06/06 02:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
What he was telling them was that if something happens to Michael, "even if it is not your fault, I will make it your fault and hold you all responsible."

He basically told th heads of the families that in no uncertain terms should ANY harm in ANY form, be it intentional or by accident, come to his son Michael.

But his message was MOSTLY meant for Don Barzini's ears. Don't forget that Barzini was the one behind the attempt on Michael's life and the killing of Appolonia. And it was obvious that another attempt would be made on Michael's life after the first one failed.

Don Vito, as we later learned, realized during that meeting that "it was Barzini all along," and therefore knowing that an attempt had been made on Michael's life in Sicily, he was sending a message to Barzini telling him that if he had anymore intentions of trying to have Michael killed while in Sicily, he had better call it off.

By making that speach, he also was making the other Dons aware of what needed to be done to make the peace. Because those Don's did not like a war going on. It cost them too much money and too much business, and they wanted things back to the way that they were. And now that Vito had agreed to make the peace, his doing so put pressure on Barzini because if something would have happened to Michael by the hand of Barzini, Vito could actually go to the other Dons and say " See, I sincerely made the peace and gave into the demands, but now Barzini has broken his end of the deal and has caused a war to stop."

And if that had taken place then what probably would have happened was that all the other Dons and the families would have gone after Barzini for bringing them back into a costly war.

Vito's speach gave him "insurance" that the other families in that room would back him up in case Barzini did not honor Don Vito's demand for a safe return of Michael. It also gave him insurance that the other families themselves would make sure that no one in that room, particualry Barzini, would step out of line and make any attempt on Michael before he returned home.

Because the bottomline was that it would have cost all those other families money if another war had broken out. And that was all those other families cared about, the bottom line, making money again.

It was a brilliant move by Vito.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Wierd #37173
03/06/06 05:52 PM
03/06/06 05:52 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
It was a brilliant move by Vito.

Don Cardi cool
Yep in more ways than one. He knew that Michael was "with him now" and that Michael could be groomed to take over the family business. The other dons thought Sonny was a dead hot head, they knew Frfedo was a moron, and they probably thought Micheal was a lightweight who would never be able to hold his own against them. So the Don, while appearing to simply have a sentimental interest in getting Michael home was really starting phase one of the next war.

Also BTW.. I would love to hear speculation on how the Don got Michael back and "cleared of all these false charges." I would guess the waiter at Louis testified that someone walked in and killed Sollozzo and McCluskey, and that whoever it was he did not fit Michael's description. I would also bet that waiter enjoyed a financially lucrative retirement afterwords.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Wierd #37174
03/06/06 06:23 PM
03/06/06 06:23 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I would love to hear speculation on how the Don got Michael back and "cleared of all these false charges." I would guess the waiter at Louis testified that someone walked in and killed Sollozzo and McCluskey, and that whoever it was he did not fit Michael's description. I would also bet that waiter enjoyed a financially lucrative retirement afterwords.
Well that is explained in the book. One of the other families, I believe it was the Bocchicios, had a member who had been convicted of some crime and I believe, was sentenced to death. So Don Vito made a deal with the Bocchicios. The member of the family agreed to confess to killing McClusky and Sollozo and in return the Corleones paid a handsome sum to his family for doing so. It didn't matter to the member of the Bocchicio clan because he was facing the death penalty anyway, so this was a way for Vito to get Mike off the hook and back into the country safely and at the same time the guy who confessed to the murders of McClusky and Sollozo would be assured that his family would be taken care of financially for the rest of their lives. It was a no brainer.

I'm going off memory here, and if anyone would remember this better than I and be more accurate about this it would be Plaw.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Wierd #37175
03/06/06 06:31 PM
03/06/06 06:31 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Yes - in the book this was how it was explained. It was a member of the Bocchicchio family who confessed to the killings.

I don't think this was ever dealt with directly in the movie, though.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Wierd #37176
03/06/06 07:46 PM
03/06/06 07:46 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...I'm going off memory here, and if anyone would remember this better than I and be more accurate about this it would be ...
[Linked Image]

...me, me, ME!!!! After all, I've read the book recently too grin wink

And yes, your synopsis of how Michael is brought home pretty much explains the whole thing. Yet another segment of the book I have to admit I found completely fascinating.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Wierd #37177
03/06/06 11:54 PM
03/06/06 11:54 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

Cause if it is real it doesn't make any sense to me. Then he just could have said: "If my son dies I'll blame some of the people in this room..." and that he didn't cause that was the first part of his speech were he says that nothing should happen to michael.
"I'm a stranger in this country, I don't know the customs that well", so I should let you know that this post contains a spoiler for the book, if you haven't read it yet.

In the book, the lightning talk demonstrates that Michael is the Don incarnate. In arguing that Sollozzo must be killed, Michael says, "They call it business. OK. But it's personal as hell. You know who I learned that from? The Don. My old man. The Godfather. If a bolt of lightning hit a friend of his, the old man would take it personal. He took my going into the Marines personal. That's what makes him great."

150 pages later, the Don rises from his sickbed, makes the peace and says, "If my son is struck by a bolt of lightning I will blame some of the people here."

Michael's talk isn't included in the movie, but I think it's the best thing in the book.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Wierd #37178
03/07/06 12:49 AM
03/07/06 12:49 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Welcome, mustachepete! [Linked Image]

Consider yourself (symbolically) kissed on both cheeks.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Wierd #37179
03/07/06 01:37 PM
03/07/06 01:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It didn't matter to the member of the Bocchicio clan because he was facing the death penalty anyway, so this was a way for Vito to get Mike off the hook and back into the country safely and at the same time the guy who confessed to the murders of McClusky and Sollozo would be assured that his family would be taken care of financially for the rest of their lives. It was a no brainer.

I'm going off memory here, and if anyone would remember this better than I and be more accurate about this it would be Plaw.

I gotta re read the novel.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Wierd #37180
03/19/06 03:19 PM
03/19/06 03:19 PM
Athens, GA
E
Eddie Mozzarella Offline
Wiseguy
Eddie Mozzarella  Offline
E
Wiseguy
Athens, GA

Not to beat a dead horse head here, but the "lightning bolt" is a hyperbolic way of saying that even if Michael dies through an honest ACCIDENT-- a seeming act of God-- Vito will suspect foul play. It's just a colorful and very succinct way of making his point.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull