GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 610 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,789
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,356
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,578
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37003
02/19/06 06:26 PM
02/19/06 06:26 PM
Luciano Fanucci Offline OP
Underboss
Luciano Fanucci  Offline OP
Underboss
Ive just been wondering how The 5 Families in Th Godfather where formed, particularly Barzini. Was Barzini just sitting on his couch one day eating doughnuts, then got up and said to himself "I think im gonna` go form The Barzini Family" ?

Omerta.
Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37004
02/19/06 06:57 PM
02/19/06 06:57 PM
Corleone, Sicily
Dominic Corleone Offline
Button
Dominic Corleone  Offline
Button
Corleone, Sicily
It probably started the same way the 5 Families did in real life.

Mario Puzo used the Capone name from chicago and Salvatore Maranzano.

see chapter 14 pages 193-225 - great chapter about the vito getting shot 1st attack by the irish mad dog stick up artists and luca brasi taking them out and assassinating 1 of the heads of five failies trying to move on the corleone business. pg220 and hoe santino from 1935-1937 made his rep as the most cunning and relentless executioner the underworld had yet known. "and like a young, untrumpeted Napoleon, showed a genius for city warfare."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Maranzano

All right, you are what you are. It’s your nature. You stay close to me. You don’t do anything. You keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open. And you do what I tell you. Understand?
Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37005
02/19/06 07:26 PM
02/19/06 07:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Actually Barzini was a smalltime hood who used to have a trucking business. A local baker would use his trucks to make deliveries. One day he was eating a canolli made by one of the bakers and he realized that there was a lot of dough to be made in that little white filling. It's in a version of the script that was unused in The Godfather, a very rare version. The script was sold as limited edition in 1973. Here is an excerp from the script which is a conversation between Barzini, his underboss Tommasso, and his top Lt. Verde, and then the meeting with that canolli making baker :

TOMMASSO: "Nazorine is known as 'Da Baka.' He's supposed to be very good with the roller, but only in matters of business. Uh, his business is baking. He has stores in Brooklyn where they make them canolli shells. And in Queens he has the factories to fill them with canolli cream. Now --he needs cash, and he needs protection from the other hoods in the area, for which he gives a piece of the action -- I couldn't find out how much. The Corleone family is behind him here in New York. Now they have to be in it for
something."

BARZINI : "Where did he learn to bake?"

VERDE : " In prison."

BARZINI : "What about his prison record?"

TOMMASSO : "Two terms. One in Italy, one here. He's known as a top baker."

BARZINI : "Verde, what do you think?"

VERDE : " There's a lot of money in that white canolli filling."

BARZINI : "Tommasso?"

TOMMASSO : "Well, I say yes. There's more money potential in that white canolli cream than anything else we're looking at. Now if we don't get into it, somebody else will. Somebody like that fat Clemenza that works for the Corleone family. Or maybe one of the Five Families, maybe all of them. Now with the money they earn, they can buy more police and political power; then they come after us. Now we have the trucks, we have the bread routes; an' they're the best things to have. But canollis are a thing of the future. An' if we don't get a piece of that action, we risk everything we have -- I mean not now, but ah ten years from now."

VERDE : "So, what's your answer gonna be, Don Barzini?"

CUT TO: Nazorine meeting in Barzini's Genco office. Scene includes the Barzini, Nazorine, Tommasso, Verde and a young man named Enzo.

NAZORINE : "Bene. Signor Barzini. I need a man who has plenty of trucks. I need a million dollars for
canolli shells. I need, Signor Barzini, those politicians that you carry in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes.

BARZINI : "I asked to see you because I heard that you were one of the best canolli makers in the country. I want to finance the expansion of your baking business. However not under the terms that you've just layed out to me, but under MY terms! You will now work for me. And that's my final offer. Non negotiable if I finance your canolli expansion"

NAZORINE : " Under those terms, I must respectfully say no."

[Young Enzo is begining to lose control of himself and rises from his chair]

YOUNG ENZO :" Ah, you're telling me that you are looking to take over my future father in-laws whole baking business? Who do you think you are to come in here and dictate the terms to us? We will tell you what the----"

[Nazorine gestures towards Enzo to be quiet}

NAZORINE : "I have a sentimental weakness for young people, and I spoil them as you can see; they talk when they should listen. But, anyway, Signor Barzini, my no is final, and I wish to congratulate you on any other business that you should get into, and I know you'll do very well; and good luck to you -- as best as your interests don't conflict with my interests. Thank you.

[the group begins to leave the room: Barzini, Verde, then Tomamsso]

NAZORINE :"Enzo, come're. Whattsa matter with you? I think your brain is going soft from all that comedy your playing with my daughter. Never tell anybody outside the bakery business what you're thinking again! Now we will have trouble with this Barzini. Surely he will try to move in on our Canolli business. For protection. we must go to Don Corleone."

FADE FROM BLACK: Int. of Don Corleone's home office -day

CUT TO: Connie's Wedding reception. We hear the music "Connie's Wedding (The Godfather Tarantella)" -day

CUT TO: Nazorine and Enzo in Don Corleone's office -day

NAZORINE (seated in front of the Don't desk)

-------------------------------------------------

I think that we all know the rest from there.

Luciano,it's a very very hard version of the script to find. Even our very own Don Malta here has been trying to find a copy of this version for many years, and has yet to find it. You might be able to find one on ebay, as they appear every now and then, but go very quickly. Good luck in your searches.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37006
02/20/06 12:41 AM
02/20/06 12:41 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Boy, this brings back memories.

I have this script, but in my copy the Nazorine scene has been slightly edited/rewritten. From what I've read, Mario Puzo and FFC tried several versions of the scene but ultimately ended up scrapping it entirely and putting most of the dialogue - almost word for word, as a matter of fact - into the Vito/Sollozzo scene. I heard they butted heads quite a bit over this, but Coppola, being the director, had the final say. For a long time, Puzo was tight-lipped about the whole incident, but not long before his death he admitted that FFC probably made the right decision. At least, that's the story I'm familiar with.

As I remember, I got the script years ago from Cinemabilia, a place that existed for several years in NYC (first on Cornelia St., then on W. 13th St.). It was pretty much of a Mecca for film buffs. I may have paid around $35 or $40 for it - which for the early '70s was a pretty penny.

Definitely worth checking eBay for this one. wink

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37007
02/20/06 04:36 AM
02/20/06 04:36 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
You fellas have crossed the line. grin

I dream in widescreen.
Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37008
02/20/06 08:06 AM
02/20/06 08:06 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
You fellas have crossed the line. grin
I guess that I have to admit that paying that kind of money back then can be considered "crossing the line," wink but it is worth every penny of it now.

Signor Vitelli, someday I'd like to get together with you and compare scripts as I had "heard" that there were originally 2 or 3 different versions, but I've only read the version that I own.

Does the version that you own include any scenes with "Joe The Greek" in it? I know that Plaw has spoken about the "Joe The Greek" character in the past. Plaw? Do you own that version?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37009
02/20/06 08:19 AM
02/20/06 08:19 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I'm afraid that Joe only appears in the 1994 Limited Un-Abridged Un-Edited and Un-Published 25th Anniversary Special Edition.

Rumor has it that because of Coppola's fanatical attention to detail he was ready to spend $2.4 million to build a 1930's style art-deco diner out on Sunrise Highway, but Paramount objected to the expnditure just to film one two-minute scene.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37010
02/20/06 08:31 AM
02/20/06 08:31 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:
I'm afraid that Joe only appears in the 1994 Limited Un-Abridged Un-Edited and Un-Published 25th Anniversary Special Edition.

Rumor has it that because of Coppola's fanatical attention to detail he was ready to spend $2.4 million to build a 1930's style art-deco diner out on Sunrise Highway, but Paramount objected to the expnditure just to film one two-minute scene.
Oh, I see Plaw, thanks. Does your version from the 1994 Limited Un-Abridged Un-Edited and Un-Published 25th Anniversary Special Edition include the Barzini/Nazorine scene that I copied down and wrote about in my above post?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37011
02/20/06 01:31 PM
02/20/06 01:31 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
No, I'm afraid not.

Just the "Joe the Greek" part, and also the famous sex scene between Vito and Carmella, which was also omitted from the film.

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37012
02/20/06 01:59 PM
02/20/06 01:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:
No, I'm afraid not.

Just the "Joe the Greek" part, and also the famous sex scene between Vito and Carmella, which was also omitted from the film.
That was a flashback scene from GFII when they were young, correct? The one that took place after he brought her the pear?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37013
02/20/06 04:05 PM
02/20/06 04:05 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Actually, Joe the Greek is in my version of the script - but not the whole scene. There is a brief allusion only, in the beginning, in the Don's study:

TOM: "Joe the Greek's passed out under the buffet table. When he comes to, he'd like to see you."

VITO: "Is this...necessary?"

TOM: "No."

And so it was with Joe the Greek. By the time Mario Puzo and FFC had thrashed out the final shooting script, even this reference had been excised. It would be as if he had never existed. frown

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37014
02/20/06 04:53 PM
02/20/06 04:53 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]The one that took place after he brought her the pear?

Don Cardi cool
Carmella : What a lovely pear.
Vito: You think thats lovely, how'd you like to see some almonds?
C: Oh VITO!
(Vito removes his clothes and hers)
Vito: Go get some butter.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37015
02/20/06 05:14 PM
02/20/06 05:14 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
.....the famous sex scene between Vito and Carmella, which was also omitted from the film......That was a flashback scene from GFII when they were young, correct? The one that took place after he brought her the pear?
No, it took place after Vito was shot.

I posted it once before; perhaps you missed it?

It's about halfway down the page HERE

I remembered Apple enjoyed it.

Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37016
02/22/06 08:28 PM
02/22/06 08:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually, if you visit the Families R Us store on Mulberry St. in New York you can pick up a family starter kit. Everything you need to start your own Mafia family is included except, of course, the batteries. It's easier than in the old days when you had to send away to Battle Creek, Michigan with cereal boxtops. Then when you got your kit, some of the pieces didn't quite fit. It was a pain, but still once I got my kit I was able to make a small fortune shaking down local shopkeepers, paperboys, and the like. But then they started producing bigger and better kits, and I ended up selling mine to another family.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How did The 5 Fmailies Begin? #37017
02/23/06 01:45 AM
02/23/06 01:45 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally posted by Olivant:
But then they started producing bigger and better kits, and I ended up selling mine...
And there's the lesson to be learned: you should have loaned it, and the vig should have been at least 100% weekly.

I believe in America... smile

Signor V.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull