GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Evita, Liggio, 1 invisible), 737 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,528
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,532
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,453
Posts1,061,191
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Silly Godfather Dialogue #36515
01/19/06 05:38 PM
01/19/06 05:38 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
In our wonderment at how brilliant the film is, we tend to sometimes overlook some of the silly or poorly written dialogue that that it contains.

I once questioned Tom's comment to Vito during Connie's wedding:

"Now your son-in-law; we give him something important?"

Makes no sense to me. Connie and Carlo have been engaged, presumably for months, and it's hard to believe that the subject of a place in the family business for Carlo had never come up before the actual day that he and Connie were married.

Here's another:

When Michael returns from Sicily and sees Kay for the first time in New Hampshire, she asks him "How long have you been back?".

And Michael replies:

"I've been back a year - longer than that, I think."

The guy just returned from a 2+ year exile in Sicily, and he wasn't immediately sure exactly how long he'd been back?

If it were me, I would've said something like "I got back last August, so it's been a litle more than year" or "About thirteen months" or whatever.

Don't you think that if it were you, you'd know exactly, almost to the day, how long you'd been home?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36516
01/19/06 06:00 PM
01/19/06 06:00 PM
Glasgow
The Horse's Head Offline
Associate
The Horse's Head  Offline
Associate
Glasgow
I think one of the strongest features of the film is that little or no dialogue is wasted. Every line and word has a purpose and often reveals more if scrutinized more closely.

When Tom makes the line, we are being shown how the family draws up the barriers on Carlo, whilst appearing on the surface to embrace him. Vito makes it abundantly clear that he is not part of the family despite seeming to qualify by default through marriage. The other aspect of this line is to show that Tom, for all his efficiency, is not a natural leader and even has his flaws as a consigliere. So, for the price of an apparently innocuous line we get two themes that develop as the plot unfolds.

Michael's line about being back is partly for the benefit of the viewer. We make a very rapid time jump from the time of Apollonia's death to this point in time, and this statement prepares the audience for interim change. Of course this is revealed by Michael's change into a rather more calculating and infinitely less spontaneous character. Also, we see what has happened merely through the family meetings with Michael at the chair - so we get a snapshot of the year's events without any recourse to ponderous process of documenting the change. The brevity of saying a year is merely to show how unimportant the actual time lapse is. Any further detail is irrelevant and hence unnecessary.

I would add, however, that whilst the economy of dialogue is impressive, the scene described with Kay and Michael is one of my least favourites of the two films. It is essential to bring Kay back into the plot, but as a whole and despite beautiful cinematography (for most scenes they wear contrasting colours to show the different worlds they inhabit), the overall dialogue in this scene is contrived and this part has been butchered somewhat for the sake of the grander theme. Strangely enough, I think it would have worked better with less dialogue, more atmosphere and more dewy-eyed stares, but I'd still keep that line about being back for a year.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36517
01/19/06 06:30 PM
01/19/06 06:30 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I understand the necessity for both bits of dialogue, and I agree with your analysis 100%; you're right on the mark.

What I'm questioning here is how what the characters are saying here just doesn't seem to ring true to me.

I would think that prior to the wedding, Carlo's joining the family would've been a hot topic among Vito and Tom, and even Sonny.

Possibly even Clemenza (an expert in matters of personnel, according to the book) and Tessio would have been consulted, or perhaps brought up the subject themselves.

And as it was Don Corleone's intention that Carlo not be given something important, certainly his wishes would have been know by the time Connie's wedding day rolled around.

And how about Carlo? I imagine that he had some kind of job at the time of the wedding. The book mentioned something about construction work, I believe. He must have expressed a desire to join the family business prior to the wedding; otherwise Hagen was making a rather broad assumption, and an uncharacteristic one for a consigliere.

So when Carlo made his wishes known, it's inconceivable that the matter was not discussed by the Corleone brain trust.

As for Michael, again: How did he not know to the day how long he'd been back?

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36518
01/19/06 07:57 PM
01/19/06 07:57 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
The funniest to me is:

Kay: "Michael, is it true?"
Michael: "Don't ask me about my business Kay."
Kay: Is it true?"
Micahel: "Don't ask me about my business."
Kay: "No...."
Michael: "Enough!".... "Alright. This one time.- This one time I'll let you ask me about my business."
Kay: "Is it true?" "Is it?"
Michael: "No"
Kay: (relieved) "I guess we both need a drink, huh?"

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36519
01/19/06 08:52 PM
01/19/06 08:52 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Yea I was thinking about that myself Neal. Why did they HAVE to give him a job? Is it possible they did that so Connie can live comfortable. I mean I thought that was a nice apt. or house they lived in.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36520
01/19/06 09:37 PM
01/19/06 09:37 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
At the hospital where Michael says, I'm with you now, Pop. I'm with you now. Or when he says After we make the move to Nevada, after we make the move. Sometimes it seems like they actually ran out of dialogue and had to improvise. There's a lot of redundancy like, don't ask me about my business, Kay, don't ask me about my business. Just a slight pet peeve of mine about the movie. Other than that, it was and is great.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36521
01/19/06 11:09 PM
01/19/06 11:09 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

My 2 favorite "funny" lines:

1) Kay: The sicker you get, the wiser you get, huh?
Michael: When I'm dead I'm gonna be really smart.

2) Michael: Maybe they should fear YOU!

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36522
01/19/06 11:14 PM
01/19/06 11:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by exgigirl:
At the hospital where Michael says, I'm with you now, Pop. I'm with you now.
Maybe you should read all of the posts from this past topic :

http://www.gangsterbb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004828

You may realize that the line you currently think is a silly line, is really a turning point in the movie for Michael and The Corleones. After you Read those posts, please tell me if you still feel that it was a silly line in the movie.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36523
01/20/06 05:42 AM
01/20/06 05:42 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
The concept of this thread was poorly explained, and for that I must take the blame.

The idea was not to point out dialogue that was "silly" - which I erred in calling it - or funny.

It was to point out that was was said didn't ring true in terms of plot (as in the Carlo example), or in terms of the character (as in the Michael example).

Don Cardi is 100% correct: Michael's "I'm with you now, Pop" is a key line, and it comes at a turning point for Michael.

On the other hand, I don't think that exgigirl is disputing that point.

She is merely pointing out her "pet peeve": three examples of how the characters repeat themselves.

But there is nothing in any of those three lines that doesn't make sense in terms of plot or the character's personalities.

And I agre with DMC. Michael's lines to Connie ("Maybe they should fear you)") and Kay ("When I'm dead I'm gonna be really smart") are funny lines.

But they are meant to be funny.

I don't know if I'm explaining this very well..... ohwell

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36524
01/20/06 08:18 AM
01/20/06 08:18 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
Yes plaw that whole scene with Michael & Kay isn't great and that line "about a year...longer I think" has always irked me as well. Maybe Al Pacino was having difficulty following the timeline as many of us here have had!! That scene though does contain the "who's being naive now Kay?" which is a favourite (sp?) of mine.

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36525
01/20/06 09:30 AM
01/20/06 09:30 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, it could be that Michael was trying to fudge the date so that Kay, who had been languishing in New England spinsterhood since Michael's departure, wouldn't say - Well, you took your sweet time getting up here!! Michael's reason for seeking Kay out is to woo and marry her. Saying I've been back a year, maybe longer may sound better in his mind than - Oh, I've been back 18 months, but I've been too busy learning how to run a crime family to get in touch with you, but now I'm ready to settle down and produce sons - Whadda ya say???

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36526
01/20/06 10:29 AM
01/20/06 10:29 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Sorta like he wanted to minimize the time he'd been back so as not to insult Kay, but adding the "longer than that, I think" part as kind of an afterthought, just in case Kay found out later how long he actually had been back?

Could be....

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36527
01/20/06 10:35 AM
01/20/06 10:35 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

In the scene after Vito is shot and everyone is at the Mall wondering about the whereabouts of Luca Brasi (just before the fishes scene), someone says that he's "probably shacked up someplace." I always thought that was a bit of a reach. Luca was a lot of things but a horn dog didnt seem to be one of them. I would imagine Luca spending his time doing a lot of things, but being "shacked up" was not one of them.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36528
01/20/06 10:50 AM
01/20/06 10:50 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I'm sure he had the normal male urges.

I'd agree, though, that the ladies were probably not beating a path to his door, he being the ugly bastard that he was, but perhaps he spent his time with pros.

In the book, reference is made to his taking up with one of Bruno Tattaglia's "top call girls". It is described as a "week-long affair" however, so it isn't clear whether he was seeing her on a professional basis or not.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36529
01/20/06 01:27 PM
01/20/06 01:27 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Another one that never made a lot of sense is the scene in Sonny's apartment after the Don is shot. Clemenza comes in and he says the word on the street is that the Don is already dead and Sonny gets angry. After he calms down Clemenza asks Sonny if he needs any "people" to come to the house (to be guards) and Sonny says no. Then a miunute later he tells his wife "some people are coming over here."

Unless this is some sign he didnt trust Clemenza and had his own men, why would he have told Clemenza he deeded no one, and then tell his wife people were coming?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36530
01/20/06 01:32 PM
01/20/06 01:32 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
That's exactly what had happened.

At that point, Sonny had not yet obtained the telephone records proving the Paulie Gatto connection, and was unsure whether or not Clemenza was involved in the plot.

So the men to whom he referred were those of Tessio's regime

That whole business is explained in detail in the book.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36531
01/20/06 01:53 PM
01/20/06 01:53 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Ah well...so are silly quotes from GF III allowed in this or is that too much of a fish in the barrel thing?

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36532
01/20/06 02:12 PM
01/20/06 02:12 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I really misused the word "silly" in the thread's title. ohwell

My later description of where I was hoping this would go was much better.

I hadn't even thought about GF III because I don't practically know the movie by heart, but there must be many.

Go for it.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36533
01/20/06 04:44 PM
01/20/06 04:44 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

"Would somebody please hail Mary? Oh excuse me Your Excellency."

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36534
01/20/06 11:03 PM
01/20/06 11:03 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Maybe "silly" isn't the best way to describe it, but I always found the scene odd where Kay comes to visit the compound and is met by Tom. "What was that?" Kay asks. "That was an accident, but nobody was hurt" responds Hagen. To me, that scene makes very little sense as to the context of the film.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36535
01/21/06 02:15 PM
01/21/06 02:15 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Two other bits of dialogue --- when Michael leaves Sonny promises him that "when the time is right" he will get word to Kay about Michael's safety. Later, when Kay comes to the compound all distraught, Tom meets her and refuses to accept a letter from her because, he claims if he took it from her it could be proven in a court of law that he knew where Mike was. How could that be? Cetainly Tom could have done a CYA tactic of some kind to placate Kay. And then he was not even enough of a gentleman to see to it that she got a cab out of there until she asked.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36536
01/21/06 03:03 PM
01/21/06 03:03 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by plawrence:

I hadn't even thought about GF III because I don't practically know the movie by heart, but there must be many.
I think we may just say "GF3". Whole. It's very existence.
And proceed with other movies, that contain supposedly some dialogue with different characteristics, for contrast.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36537
01/22/06 09:36 AM
01/22/06 09:36 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Awkward, silly, out of context, doesn't fit, whatever......

In GF 2, Kay pulls up to the compound gate in the car to leave with the kids. She's stopped and Tom explains why she can't leave. Then she walks back to the house. Why not drive? What, Kay can't drive backwards.

When Sonny's body is brought to Bonasera's, Vito's first line is, "Are you ready to do a service?" Just a clumsy line.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36538
01/22/06 08:18 PM
01/22/06 08:18 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Maybe the house was fairly close to the gate, but the garage was much further away.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36539
01/22/06 10:07 PM
01/22/06 10:07 PM
New Jersey
Obsessed With The GodFather Offline
Capo
Obsessed With The GodFather  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Originally posted by exgigirl:
[b] At the hospital where Michael says, I'm with you now, Pop. I'm with you now.
Maybe you should read all of the posts from this past topic :

http://www.gangsterbb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004828

You may realize that the line you currently think is a silly line, is really a turning point in the movie for Michael and The Corleones. After you Read those posts, please tell me if you still feel that it was a silly line in the movie.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
One of my favorite line is this very one! Powerful!!! wink

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash Fan!
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36540
01/23/06 10:29 AM
01/23/06 10:29 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Almost all narrative references are, when analysed, superfluous and silly. It doesn't just apply to this movie. But I expect you'd already know that, Plaw; I'm just giving some light on writing film narrative anyway. Important, essential, even, pieces of dialogue which give context to the scene we're watching, but really show how artificial a scripted film is.

I couldn't stop laughing at your opening post, Plaw. It voiced much of my hitherto unexposed unconscious awareness of how fussy Coppola and Puzo's script is.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36541
01/23/06 02:56 PM
01/23/06 02:56 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
"Senator Corleone... Governor Corleone..."
The stupidest thing I ever heard from a smaht man! grin

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36542
01/23/06 05:13 PM
01/23/06 05:13 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

When Tom is giving Sonny reasons not to go to war with the other families he says what year it is. What does that have to do with anything?

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36543
01/26/06 08:56 AM
01/26/06 08:56 AM
Cristina's Way Offline
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline
Underboss
What I don't get about Michael's dialogue is the amount of swearing he does in GF3. In GF1 and 2, he never swore, as if it were beneath him. He was always articulate and maintained a veneer of professionalism, even if his profession was crime. It gave him an outward show of the respectability he craved.

So why, by GF3, when he's still seeking respectability (and furthermore, God's redemption) does he become more potty-mouthed? wink

I know there were more cinematic liberties in 1990 compared to 1972; but, when it came to Michael, I think Coppola should have indulged less in those freedoms and instead focused on maintaining Michael's character.

Re: Silly Godfather Dialogue #36544
01/26/06 09:20 AM
01/26/06 09:20 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Almost all narrative references are, when analysed, superfluous and silly. It doesn't just apply to this movie. But I expect you'd already know that, Plaw; I'm just giving some light on writing film narrative anyway. Important, essential, even, pieces of dialogue which give context to the scene we're watching, but really show how artificial a scripted film is.
Of course certain lines of dialogue are necessary to advance the plot, as we can't be privy to the character's thoughts as we can in a book.

My first example, Tom's comment to Vito re: Carlo was necessary to indicate to us Vito's feelings about his new son-in-law, but don't you think it could have been more realistically worded so it didn't sound like they were discussing this for the first time ever?

Like maybe:

TOM: Now your new son-inlaw....I've arranged for him to take over that book we have on the east side.
VITO: Good. I don't want him to ever be given anything important.

And as for Michae's comment to Kay about how long he'd been back, it was necessary for us to know when the scene was taking place and to fast forward the action in the movie through that year or so he'd been home.

But it still sounds dumb to me that he seemingly couldn't give Kay an exact answer unless, for some reason, he didn't want her to know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull