GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Liggio, Havana, 1 invisible), 648 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,439
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,432
Posts1,060,879
Members10,349
Most Online992
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35853
12/26/05 06:39 AM
12/26/05 06:39 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Not while my mother is alive Offline OP
Associate
Not while my mother is alive  Offline OP
Associate
Sacramento, Ca
The Baker's son comes to pay respect w/ flowers to Vito C. Michael approaches him, asks who,what,etc. They go outside, Michael discards the man's flowers. He puts up the guy's trenchcoat, and instructs him to appear to have a gun, by using his hand in pocket.

Does anyone else think that he was sent there by Sollazo and Corleone enemies to make a run-bye...to physically see what is a-foot at the hospital, to assist w/ an assasination attempt?
(added after the 1st day of replies)

Well, I just figured something...it seems odd there. It is akward. I am definately a novice to this Trilogy. I am learning.

Here is another item to that same scene... Michael lights Enzo's cigarette, using Enzo's lighter (Zippo). After lighting the cig, he "DEFINATELY" glances HARD to the zippo and right to Enzo. That is the key to my tip-off. I am not saying I am right, I am just asking if anyone else looks at that scene...if it seems akward to anyone else other than the beginner in California (me)???

I just got the collection (FINALLY) for Christmas, today and am in the middle of GFII as I am writing this question.

I've also enjoyed watching the GOOFS listed on this board...in GFI. I saw the Crew (FFC is wearing his earphones)in the window when Paulie the driver is whacked while Clemenza is taking a leak. And much much more.

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35854
12/26/05 07:20 AM
12/26/05 07:20 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Not while my mother is alive:
Does anyone else think that he was sent there by Sollazo and Corleone enemies to make a run-bye...to physically see what is a-foot at the hospital, to assist w/ an assasination attempt?
Not me. Mike recognized the baker's son-in-law as a "friend". While that, in itself, is not proof of loyalty, it never even crossed my mind that he was a traitor.

Remember, he (the baker's son-in-law) was in this counrty only because of Vito (Vito: "Give it to a Jew congressman in another district").

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35855
12/26/05 12:19 PM
12/26/05 12:19 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
... Does anyone else think that he was sent there by Sollazo and Corleone enemies to make a run-bye...to physically see what is a-foot at the hospital, to assist w/ an assasination attempt?...
No.

Because although it's an interesting theory, if that were the case then Enzo's purpose would surely have been revealed at some point just so the reader/viewer would be let in on this traitorous act. Then, we'd get to see him sufficiently punished. As it is, I think he was an innocent bystander, there to visit Vito and then able to assist Michael in thwarting another assasination attempt.

Enjoy the Trilogy...I have yet to get it on DVD but am looking forward to the 'outtakes'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35856
12/26/05 12:23 PM
12/26/05 12:23 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Enjoy the Trilogy...I have yet to get it on DVD but am looking forward to the 'outtakes'.

Apple
Is that supposed to be a hint? eek lol wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35857
12/26/05 12:43 PM
12/26/05 12:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
lol

Don Cardi...a paperback novel is one thing.

But if you think I'd dare hint at the Trilogy set, let alone accept one even if you were crazy enough to try ... you're nuts.

By the way, am about two thirds through the book...maybe even more. Michael and Appolonia are still newlyweds.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35858
12/26/05 12:46 PM
12/26/05 12:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
lol

Don Cardi...a paperback novel is one thing.

But if you think I'd dare hint at the Trilogy set, let alone accept one even if you were crazy enough to try ... you're nuts.

Apple
Nobody ever accused me of being normal! grin wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35859
12/26/05 01:59 PM
12/26/05 01:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Not!
Interesting theory, but not a chance. As Apple said, if Enzo were a traitor, FFC and Puzo would never have passed up the opportunity to have him whacked in some gruesome, high-screen-impact way. And he'd never have survived to appear at Michael's party at the beginning of III.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35860
12/26/05 02:20 PM
12/26/05 02:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that Enzo's presence served a purpose. It was to show that Michael, although an outsider, could act rationally under pressure. He was able to have his father moved, posted himself and Enzo at the entrance, call his brother for reinforcements, etc., and accomplish it all while remaining very calm (witness his steady hands while Enzo, although willing to help, was shaking like a leaf). I believe that his telling Enzo what to do was to show that, despite having no involvement in the business, Michael had it "in his blood" and had the capacity for leadership.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35861
12/26/05 03:58 PM
12/26/05 03:58 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
No chance, and not only because he would be punished. In what way would he serve Solozzo? He was unable to return if he stayed with Michael, even if Michael would send him away. Besides, if he was sent by Solozzo, his presence would not scare Solozzo away, he would know about him. And we know, that it was Enzo's presence near Michael that made Solozzo think there might be more people inside, and change his plans.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35862
12/26/05 06:55 PM
12/26/05 06:55 PM
Luciano Fanucci Offline
Underboss
Luciano Fanucci  Offline
Underboss
If he was sent by Sollozo, that would of been indicated later on in the movie

Omerta.
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35863
12/26/05 07:02 PM
12/26/05 07:02 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

If he was sent to find out what was going on how could he alert anyone? What if he found the entire Corleone family there, could he (without being found out) go outside and call someone? If so, who would he call?

BTW Welcome to the boards grin

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35864
12/27/05 01:27 AM
12/27/05 01:27 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Not while my mother is alive Offline OP
Associate
Not while my mother is alive  Offline OP
Associate
Sacramento, Ca
Well, I just figured something...it seems odd there. It is akward. I am definately a novice to this Trilogy. I am learning.

Here is another item to that same scene... Michael lights Enzo's cigarette, using Enzo's lighter (Zippo). After lighting the cig, he "DEFINATELY" glances HARD to the zippo and right to Enzo. That is the key to my tip-off. I am not saying I am right, I am just asking if anyone else looks at that scene...if it seems akward to anyone else other than the beginner in California (me)???

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35865
12/27/05 08:28 AM
12/27/05 08:28 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The scene with the lighter is to illustrate how Michael has remained calm, while Enzo was trembling and unable to light the cigarettes.

By the way, welcome! It's great to have new questions and scenes discussed in new ways!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35866
12/27/05 09:57 AM
12/27/05 09:57 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Michael TOTALLY realized that Sollozo/Barzini would again attempt to kill his father. Then when he hears the footsteps coming down the hospital hallway, his thoughts become very real to him that they are going to kill his father as he is thinking that those footsteps are coming from someone sent to kill Vito. As soon as he realizes that it is Enzo, what is the next thing Michael does? He takes control. He takes Enzo outside and they stand there acting as though they are guarding the outside of the hospital. These sequences of action by Michael upon his arrival at his unguarded father's hospital bedside leads me to believe that at that very moment Michael relaizes that he must make the transformation from the son who did not want to get involved to the son who would now have to take care of his father and protect him and the Corleone empire. The confirmation of if he could do it was when the hitmen in the car pull away, Enzo's hands are shaking badly and yet Michael is as calm as a cucumber. That is the defining moment for Michael. "Hey, I can do this!" The ability to hate those who want to hurt his father becomes a realization and consumes him personally when McClusky hits him and breaks his jaw. I view these scenes as a series of events that transform Michael from a civilian to a killer.
1) His calmness and realization that he must be the one to protect his father and be the son to "stay by his side",
2) The defining moment that he can live this life when the hitmen in the car drive away and he is calm and
3) His realization of his ability to hate and do what is neccessary to save the family when McClusky breaks his jaw. These scenes and events are what convey the transformation of Michael's character from civilian to mafia hood.

And please,keep these questions coming!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35867
12/27/05 03:35 PM
12/27/05 03:35 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

The only way to learn is to ask. My questions were simply to help you think out what you were theorizing (is that a word?) Sometimes your original theory might be wrong but when you think through what COULD have happened you might stumble upon something else.

Taking your example, if you answer my questions there is no way for him to call or alert someone BEFORE the guards get there. The next thing would be what if he stood outside and him standing outside was a sign not to come in. Then you would think did Enzo do anything to get Mike outside?

Ask questions, there is a lot of knowledge on this board. I don't know how many times a "who opened the drapes" question has led to another (or 2) completly different threads and opinions.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Visitor to Hospital (GFI) #35868
12/29/05 08:59 PM
12/29/05 08:59 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
"Mother", to quote Hyman Roth, "you're a very wise and considerate young man." It good to have new questions, new perspectives and ruminations. It helps us viewers gain different insights; new angles. Enjoy the greatest films every made and a truly deep, rich and vibrant story.

Oh yeah, what are you nutz, Enzo a traitor? wink lol

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull