GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 454 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,967
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It's the Business They've Chosen! #35492
12/09/05 11:44 PM
12/09/05 11:44 PM
Cristina's Way Offline OP
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline OP
Underboss
Something I don't understand about the mafiosi in the Godfather movies -- and in real life, for that matter -- is how they can be secure about the safety of their families. For these underworld figures who love their families and want to protect them, you would think the best way of proving that love is for them to get the heck out of the mafia.

In a business where grievances are settled by murder, why the shock and unpreparedness (and I'm thinking of Michael here) when a family member is shot or when your wife and children are placed in the line of fire? This is the business you've chosen! When something violent like this happens, the mobsters are hell-bent on vengeance and completely blame the enemy, when it sounds like a case of contributory negligence to me.

It makes me wonder if one of the cumulative psychological affects of living as a criminal is that the part of one's brain or conscience that accepts responsibility shuts down or becomes impaired. I'm no psychologist, so I don't know if that's accurate; but it's certainly the feeling I get from watching the progression of Michael in the Godfather films. Doesn't he expect there's going to be danger around every corner if he's a mafia don?

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35493
12/10/05 02:15 AM
12/10/05 02:15 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Supposedly - and I choose that word carefully - the real life mafia has a rule against harming the members of another's family because they fear that retribution would be too easy.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35494
12/10/05 04:57 PM
12/10/05 04:57 PM
Underboss
Underboss
That's certainly something I was wondering about too, and someone else in another thread gave the same reasoning you did: Go after someone else's family, and that person has all the more reason to come after your family.

What I find interesting is the case of a family member who is also in the "business," like a son or heir. When Sonny is killed, for instance, Vito's grief is as heart wrenching as one would expect it to be if Sonny were just an ordinary law-abiding citizen who was victimized by common criminals. I would think that Vito would have steeled himself for the possibility of Sonny's dying in a violent, untimely way, since Sonny was, after all, the acting head of an underground criminal organization. (But then again, maybe there is no way to "steel" oneself for the eventuality of a child's death.)

Does Vito really not see himself as a "criminal"? Does he actually think he's basically a good person and that the other family heads are "bad"? Does he really think it's Barzini's or Tattaglia's fault that Sonny was killed, and not partly his fault also? Or do you think that in his grief he did place some blame on himself for the life he had chosen?

It seems to me that somewhere along the line the thinking of these mafia figures goes very much awry. They think that harm done to them is unjustified and revenge-worthy, but that harm they do to others is righteous restitution, self-defense, and strictly "business." At least at the end of GF2, Michael does some soul-searching about this way of life. In GF1, I'm less clear on whether Vito does the same.

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35495
12/10/05 06:19 PM
12/10/05 06:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think you asked a similar question in another post.

Mafiosi come in all varieties - intelligent, stupid, insipid, creative, brave, etc. So, you get all kinds of self-perception and relative morality. What's the difference between a guy with a family that drinks, gambles, and uses drugs and a mafioso with a family that murders? Both endanger their families.

Keep in mind that we never saw Vito acting in a purely immoral way. We never conected him with the horror that someone like him approbated and facilitated. On the other hand, how could a viwer of GFII not connect Michael with the murder of a prostitute to ensare Senator Geary? Of course, Michael ordering the murder of his brother really separates him from his father.

So, endangering one's family? - I'm just doing my job; it has nothing to do with my family, so leave them alone and I'll leave your's alone. On the othert hand, if the need arises, your family is vulnerable. That's the business we have chosen.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35496
12/10/05 08:12 PM
12/10/05 08:12 PM
Underboss
Underboss
You have a good memory, olivant wink .

In another thread, I asked if it were true that it's a "rule" or "custom" that a mob boss's family is never harmed. And in that case, I had in mind innocent wives and children. There I received my answer (from you in fact, olivant wink ): It's not that it's a point of honour to leave the innocents alone; it's that it's a matter of self-interest. If you target your enemy's family, your enemy will likely target yours.

In this thread, I wanted to know why a member of the mafia would be so surprised or shocked or angry if his family is harmed -- particularly a family member who is "in the business." (Although I could have added this into the earlier topic, I didn't want the title to limit the discussion.) Why totally blame the enemy? It's the business they've chosen, so isn't the mafia boss at least partly to blame for his family's endangerment?

Why the double standard that "injury I do to you is justified; injury you do to me is unforgivable"? Do these mafiosi become irrational, or put blinders on when it comes to their own behaviour? Or were they morally (psychologically?) impaired from the start?

Thank you for your contribution on this subject, olivant. That's what I like to see: people's various opinions and their take on the topic. You pointed out that I've lumped all mafiosi and criminals into the same group, when really the answer to why they think and behave as they do largely depends on the individual. I look forward to more opinions. cool

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35497
12/11/05 01:35 AM
12/11/05 01:35 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't know if I can take all these compliments. Will you marry me?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35498
12/11/05 03:38 PM
12/11/05 03:38 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Can't do it ollie wink smile . I already have a crush on Don Cardi because of all his compliments [Linked Image] [Linked Image]. But if some unlucky accident should befall him... [Linked Image]
lol grin

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35499
12/11/05 05:07 PM
12/11/05 05:07 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
In fairness it should be noted that, in the entire trilogy, no "innocent civilian" family memeber is ever killed or targetted, with the possible exception of Kate in the drapes scene (although the primary target there was Michael).

When Sonny is killed, he is killed qua acting Don, not as the Don's son. When Bruno Tattaglia is killed, it is becuase he killed Luca Brasi. All though the movies, the only people who are targetted by hits are those who actually get involved in the family business.

OK, Mary gets killed in Three. But that was an accident; Michael was the main target. Also she was extremely annoying.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35500
12/11/05 08:13 PM
12/11/05 08:13 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline
Made Member
NY
One thing i got to say about why they choose the life, people argue that they do it to survive, they can survive with a regular job but they dont want to survive on the mininum, they want to live life to the fullest

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35501
12/12/05 11:06 AM
12/12/05 11:06 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Point of clarification -- Tattaglia was NOT chopped as retribution for Luca Brasi. "After the thing at the hospital, Sonny got mad. We hit Bruno Tattaglia at four o'clock this morning."

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35502
12/12/05 11:12 AM
12/12/05 11:12 AM
Kentucky
Mr.MojoRisin Offline
Capo
Mr.MojoRisin  Offline
Capo
Kentucky
Originally posted by Darulerric:
One thing i got to say about why they choose the life, people argue that they do it to survive, they can survive with a regular job but they dont want to survive on the mininum, they want to live life to the fullest
They do it because it's a way to make great money without a 9-5. Plus they get to hurt the people that screw them over. Not to mention that it's also a family tradition for alot of them.

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35503
12/12/05 11:13 AM
12/12/05 11:13 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
If you remember, Sonny tells Tom that the hit on Bruno cancels out what they did to my father.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35504
12/12/05 11:40 AM
12/12/05 11:40 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
All though the movies, the only people who are targetted by hits are those who actually get involved in the family business.
Although it wasn't a "hit" strictly speaking, as has been pointed out several times in the past, an innocent prostitute was murdered in order to trap Senator Geary.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35505
12/14/05 03:26 AM
12/14/05 03:26 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
This girl had no family -- nobody knows that she worked there. It's as if she never existed. And that was good enough for Tom Hagen and Sen. Geary because, after all, all that's left is their friendship. And that justifies everything!

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35506
12/14/05 06:31 AM
12/14/05 06:31 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Cristina's Way:
Can't do it ollie wink smile . I already have a crush on Don Cardi because of all his compliments [Linked Image] lol grin
that's what I dislike the most in some female newbies. Just when you are arranging things, they rush in and steal you the best ones and they don't hesitate to do it just in front of you! wink tongue lol

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35507
12/14/05 02:41 PM
12/14/05 02:41 PM
Underboss
Underboss
lol lol Don't worry, Lavinia. I'm content to admire Don Cardi from afar. I am no threat to you wink wink .

... but you better make sure that his wife doesn't suspect these "arrangements" you're making. cool grin

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35508
12/15/05 05:13 AM
12/15/05 05:13 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
:admire Don Cardi from afar.
No threats from me either: I'm much farer than you, dear.... lol wink

... but you better make sure that his wife doesn't suspect these "arrangements" you're making. cool grin
Nah.....I'm like dogs that bark but don't bite! lol Lately my rule is. "Never with married men". Too much fatigue, too much stress, too much sense of guiltiness. What a bore! If they want me, they'll look for me. With a divorce sentence attached on their forehead, please! lol cool

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35509
12/15/05 06:37 PM
12/15/05 06:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
What's all this talk about Don Cardi here? eek blush

Have you ladies been talking with my wife behind my back? blush here with all this talk.

I always tell my wife " Just because I am on a diet, it does not mean that I can't read a menu." wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35510
12/16/05 08:04 PM
12/16/05 08:04 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Hang on a minute... DC is married? I always thought he was in high school...

grin grin grin

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35511
12/18/05 12:25 AM
12/18/05 12:25 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Have you ladies been talking with my wife behind my back? lol

Was it when we were all at the wedding and she was telling all of the ladies at the table about me, ala Sandra Corleone? eek wink
lol lol grin grin

DC, you got it all wrong. I'm innocent. I swear I wasn't even sitting at that table! wink

Re: It's the Business They've Chosen! #35512
12/18/05 04:52 AM
12/18/05 04:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
Hang on a minute... DC is married? I always thought he was in high school...

grin grin grin
Sorry to dissapoint you. wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull