GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 520 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,437
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,429
Posts1,060,842
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. #564810
01/13/10 06:38 AM
01/13/10 06:38 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Has this been mentioned before?
Vito doesn't seem to give a damn about movies. (Tom on the other hand admits that he admires Woltz' pictures)
When Johnny sends flowers to his Godfather, he tells Tom "What is this nonsense? (...) Take it away."

It foreshadows involuntarily Brando's refusal to accept the Oscar award as well as his low appreciation for actors' fame.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Danito] #564826
01/13/10 10:56 AM
01/13/10 10:56 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I have always thought Vito took a look at that hideous flower
arrangement and declared it to be "nonsense." When Tom told him it was from Johnny to thank him for getting him the role in the movie, Vito was insulted and said "take it away." Vito believed as Johnnie's Godfather that he had some kind of obligation to help him, and that Johnnie's appreciation would one day be manifested by doing a fvor for Vito (which turned out to be playing Vegas several times a year and encouraging his movie friends to join him). In Vito's world sending a
bunch of flowers to him as a gesture of thanks was meaningless under the circumstances, and he wanted the flowers out of his sight.

As for Tom telling Woltz he admired his pictures, he may or may not have been speaking the truth. He was sending a very
Corleone like message that his intercession for Johnny was
purely business, not personal.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: dontomasso] #564836
01/13/10 11:33 AM
01/13/10 11:33 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Tom took Vito's advice of "Hold your friends close, but your enemies closer," very much to heart. His compliment to Woltz was meant to do two things:

1. Throw him off after how insulting Woltz was to him.

2. Kiss up so that Woltz underestimated him.

As for the flowers, Vito was a modest man. He didn't want his favors acknowledged in such a public (and gaudy) way. The flowers also served as exposition to let us (the audience) know that Johnny had gotten the part.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Danito] #564842
01/13/10 11:56 AM
01/13/10 11:56 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally Posted By: Danito
Has this been mentioned before?
Vito doesn't seem to give a damn about movies. (Tom on the other hand admits that he admires Woltz' pictures)

The novel sheds a bit more light on this matter. Tom is most definitely not being sincere to Woltz. The novel says something the affect of "Then, in the most fawning voice he could muster" Hagen said 'I admire your pictures very much. Keep up the good work - the country could use it.' (I am paraphrasing).

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: goombah] #564924
01/13/10 09:45 PM
01/13/10 09:45 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I bet Vito never went to the movies. His interest in Hollywood was in dominating the unions.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Turnbull] #564928
01/13/10 09:52 PM
01/13/10 09:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

He sure looked uncomfortable sitting in the theater with Tessio! wink

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Don Cardi] #564971
01/14/10 11:40 AM
01/14/10 11:40 AM
San Francisco
FanFiltration Offline
Associate
FanFiltration  Offline
Associate
San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Vito went to the theater with Genco Abbandando, not Tessio.
Vito first meets Tessio a few years later (in the deleted scene)when he and young Clemenza visit the gunsmith. For years I thought it was Tessio as well, but watching the extended chronological versions has cleared that up for me.

Vito never liked receiving things from people. He was humble and modest as Sicilian Babe has said above.

The gift of food from Abbandando Sr., The free Fruit/Veg from the street vendor, and then the flowers. They all made him uneasy.

Flowers are also not very masculine, and the Don felt Johnny was getting very soft out in Hollywood. I always thought that was the reason he was so turned off by them. To men of Vito's time, flowers are for a woman and a funeral. Men don't send men flowers...

Last edited by FanFiltration; 01/14/10 11:43 AM.
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Turnbull] #564978
01/14/10 12:15 PM
01/14/10 12:15 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I bet Vito never went to the movies. His interest in Hollywood was in dominating the unions.

I seriously doubt Vito would go see all those Hollywood finocchios in those Busby Berkeley extravagnzas, nor Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I think the only entertainment he may have peeked at was the funny papers.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: FanFiltration] #564979
01/14/10 12:19 PM
01/14/10 12:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: FanFiltration

The gift of food from Abbandando Sr., The free Fruit/Veg from the street vendor, and then the flowers. They all made him uneasy.

I think he refused the food from Abbandando Sr. because he was a proud man whou would not take a handout from someone who just fired him. As for the fruit vendor, I believe he liked the gift because it showed the vendor respected him. When he took the fruit I believe he said something like "If there's anything I can do for you tell me." The flowers definitely were not welcomed.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: dontomasso] #565023
01/14/10 03:55 PM
01/14/10 03:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I think he refused the food from Abbandando Sr. because he was a proud man whou would not take a handout from someone who just fired him. As for the fruit vendor, I believe he liked the gift because it showed the vendor respected him. When he took the fruit I believe he said something like "If there's anything I can do for you tell me." The flowers definitely were not welcomed.

This is in contrast to the novel wherein Vito eventually accepts food from Genco, but prior to that reproaches Genco for his father's having fired him to give his job to Fanucci's nephew.

Last edited by olivant; 01/14/10 03:56 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: FanFiltration] #565028
01/14/10 06:01 PM
01/14/10 06:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

My bad. You're right. It was Genco. Or was it Frankie Carbone? wink

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Don Cardi] #565030
01/14/10 06:07 PM
01/14/10 06:07 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

He sure looked uncomfortable sitting in the theater with Tessio!

My bad. You're right. It was Genco. Or was it Frankie Carbone?

It was actually one of the bystanders who watched Sonny beat up Carlo.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: FanFiltration] #565041
01/14/10 09:20 PM
01/14/10 09:20 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: FanFiltration

Vito never liked receiving things from people. He was humble and modest as Sicilian Babe has said above.

Yes, he was humble. But this politeness includes accepting small gifts, such as the cake from Nazorine, the orange at the market when he was young and he even complained about not being invited for a cup of coffee to Mr. Bonasera.

However, why does nobody comment on the parallel between Brando's and Corleone's disrespect towards Hollywood?

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Danito] #565043
01/14/10 10:07 PM
01/14/10 10:07 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I thought Vito's reception of the flowers was indifferent because he had Sollozzo on his mind. Right after he says to "put the flowers over there", he says "send in Luca Brasi". Luca was waiting in the wings. Vito had made up his mind about the Sol deal before the meeting and had Luca on standby. Johnny F and his flowers were not on his mind.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Danito] #565044
01/14/10 10:13 PM
01/14/10 10:13 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
[quote=FanFiltration]
However, why does nobody comment on the parallel between Brando's and Corleone's disrespect towards Hollywood?

Well Dan, I just think that the window into Vito's life did not show any appreciation for the arts; not that he didn't have one, we were just never shown that side of Vito. I don't think it was disrespect. It just didn't interest him. In fact we don't know what interested Vito besides his business interests.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: Danito] #565048
01/14/10 10:25 PM
01/14/10 10:25 PM
San Francisco
FanFiltration Offline
Associate
FanFiltration  Offline
Associate
San Francisco
[quote=FanFiltration]

I don't know too much about Brando's personal life, but as I am becoming more and more a fan of his films, I would not mind knowing more about his views on the subject.

On a little side note, some of you may be interested in a good non-fiction book on the history of a major Hollywood studio, and it's deep ties to the Mob and politics. It's a great read for fans of the crime genre, called "Dark Victory: Ronald Reagan, MCA and the Mob" by Dan E. Moldea.

FF

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: FanFiltration] #565421
01/19/10 10:48 AM
01/19/10 10:48 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Brando maintained throughout his life that acting was simple, that everyone is an actor and is putting on some kind of performance every day. Accordingly he did not believe in giving awards to indicidual actors. Nobody knows if he really meant this or if it was just schtick. Like many geniuses, Brando was one sandwich shy of a picnic.

Re: What is this nonsense? - It's the Oscar award. [Re: dontomasso] #565556
01/20/10 01:56 AM
01/20/10 01:56 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
dontomasso observes...
Quote:
Vito believed as Johnnie's Godfather that he had some kind of obligation to help him, and ... in Vito's world sending a bunch of flowers to him as a gesture of thanks was meaningless under the circumstances...

Moreover, this was a favor Johnnie requested at Connie's wedding and, as Tom Hagen teaches us, "no Sicilian can refuse any request on his daughter's wedding day." I have to believe Johnnie knew this and should have expressed his gratitude personally when he made his request knowing that his request would be fulfilled. Or did he make his request and harbor some doubts about his Godfather's ability to grant this favor? To me, the flowers were an absolute expression of Johnnie's doubt and ultimately his surprise about Vito's ability to grant the favor. You can almost hear Johnnie saying, "I didn't think you could do it for me, Godfather."

It was also probably a cinematic device to confirm for the audience that Johnnie did indeed get the part after Tom's eat-and-run dinner with Woltz...

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull