GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lana), 418 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,882
Members10,349
Most Online992
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: Lilo] #559197
11/02/09 12:20 PM
11/02/09 12:20 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Maybe there were some entertainment related things (nightclubs, call girls, film extortion?) going on in either Cuba or Beverly Hills that would have required Fredo's attention and allowed him a plausible reason to be in those places.

Michael should have never allowed Fredo to go to Havana unsupervised whether it was for fun or to do any family business no matter how insignificant.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: dontomasso] #559207
11/02/09 01:52 PM
11/02/09 01:52 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: Lilo

Maybe there were some entertainment related things (nightclubs, call girls, film extortion?) going on in either Cuba or Beverly Hills that would have required Fredo's attention and allowed him a plausible reason to be in those places.

Michael should have never allowed Fredo to go to Havana unsupervised whether it was for fun or to do any family business no matter how insignificant.

Yes but hindsight is 20/20. I don't think even Michael (who is smarter than anyone else) could have extrapolated that Fredo's incompetence and/or laziness/fear in dealing with Moe Green and the cocktail waitresses would mean that Fredo is a future liability and should be watched constantly.

We don't really know what Fredo's role or responsibilities are. He's listed as Underboss on the chart but that's sort of a joke, don't you think? He has men reporting to him but according to Fredo's rant he doesn't have any meaningful responsibilities, something I think Michael would agree with.

I think Michael did what he could in granting Fredo jobs or roles he thought his brother could handle. It was likely while doing one of those supposedly pedestrian jobs that Fredo complained to the wrong people and Roth/Ola were made aware of his discontent.

That raises the question of why Michael wasn't aware. I think , as I mentioned before that Michael's pride blinded him to Fredo's resentments. Also more pragmatically, assuming that anyone else knew, which person among the Western regimes would want to stick his neck out and inform Michael of Fredo's discontent or meetings with Ola?

Such a person would be taking a big risk. Michael didn't take bad news well. Maybe like Vito Genovese, Michael would have dealt with Fredo and then gotten rid of whoever told on Fredo, because well that person was a "rat"...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: Lilo] #559209
11/02/09 01:56 PM
11/02/09 01:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
I agree with Lilo that Michael lacked the fraternal/paternal warmth that might have kept him more involved with Fredo. As far as he was concerned, giving Fredo chores to do constituted "takeing care" of him. I do agree with dt that, given Fredo's near-treachery with Moe Green, he should have kept more of an eye on him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: Turnbull] #559211
11/02/09 02:10 PM
11/02/09 02:10 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I tend to agree with Lilo that Michael probably believed that he was giving Fredo enough responsibility to keep him happy. After all, Fredo seems to relish his tour-guide role in Cuba. And someone who bangs cocktail waitresses two at a time might be expected to enjoy running a nightclub or a brothel.

While we can talk about how unperceptive Michael was, we should keep in mind his background. No blood relatives - even the rebellious and ambitious Michael - would ever have considered betraying Vito. Michael draws a distinction between "businessmen" and family members as regards loyalty. Even in the bloody world he was raised in, betrayal by a brother was beyond the pale.

Last edited by The Last Woltz; 11/02/09 02:11 PM.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: The Last Woltz] #559212
11/02/09 03:10 PM
11/02/09 03:10 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
While we can talk about how unperceptive Michael was, we should keep in mind his background. No blood relatives - even the rebellious and ambitious Michael - would ever have considered betraying Vito. Michael draws a distinction between "businessmen" and family members as regards loyalty. Even in the bloody world he was raised in, betrayal by a brother was beyond the pale.

Not so sure. Michael knew he was "losing" his family well before he spoke to him mother about the subject after Havana. Recall Mama says "you can never lose your family," and Michael replies, "tempi cambi."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: dontomasso] #559267
11/03/09 05:05 PM
11/03/09 05:05 PM
J
Jaren Offline
Wiseguy
Jaren  Offline
J
Wiseguy
I don't believe Michael was ever slipping. His cold heart is what kept his mind clear of all his decision thinking. If Michael was slipping, he would've kept Fredo alive, he would've trusted to more and the rest of his associates. Vito trained him very vell before his passing.

I'll admitt, after Fredo's betrayal it definately broke his heart, it was his only blood brother left. Thats why he loved Fredo so much and always protecting him but after that betrayal incident, how could he trust Tom and and the others. Michael was all strictly business, thats what I think kept him from slipping.

Re: Was Michael slippin'? [Re: Jaren] #559268
11/03/09 05:06 PM
11/03/09 05:06 PM
J
Jaren Offline
Wiseguy
Jaren  Offline
J
Wiseguy
crap i had to type this really fast cause im at work so sorry for the major grammar mistakes and spelling!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull