GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Brovelli, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 313 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,982
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,708
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,499
Posts1,062,023
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If Sonny hadn't Died... #531753
02/14/09 05:17 PM
02/14/09 05:17 PM
North End, Boston
L
Lollygagers12 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Lollygagers12  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
North End, Boston
If Sonny hadn't died, do you guys think Michael still would have been appointed the Don when he came back from Sicily? Would Sonny have been "stepped over" by Michael just like Fredo was stepped over? Or do you think the Don Corleone would have left Sonny in charge since he had temporarily filled in for him while he was in the hospital?

Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Lollygagers12] #531776
02/14/09 11:15 PM
02/14/09 11:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As Vito told Michael: "I knew Santino had to go through this..." But it was Michael for whom Vito had other plans. Sonny's death cut a chunk out of Vito's heart and will to continue on. Had Sonny not died, Vito would have continued as Don for another decade, maybe two, and shepharded Michael's movement into politics. Eventually, Sonny would have taken over.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: olivant] #531790
02/15/09 07:46 AM
02/15/09 07:46 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted By: olivant
As Vito told Michael: "I knew Santino had to go through this..." But it was Michael for whom Vito had other plans. Sonny's death cut a chunk out of Vito's heart and will to continue on. Had Sonny not died, Vito would have continued as Don for another decade, maybe two, and shepharded Michael's movement into politics. Eventually, Sonny would have taken over.

On the other hand, Vito said he believed Santino would be a bad Don. Would Vito let a bad Don inherit his empire?
Also, I think Vito was in a very bad condition after he had been shot. If Sonny had survived, his actions would have caused more trouble to Vito's heart. No chance he would continue as Don for more than a couple of years.

Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Danito] #531797
02/15/09 11:29 AM
02/15/09 11:29 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think that his time in Sicily had turned Michael into a fullblown mafioso. He would have become part of the organization, and I think eventually displace Tom as consigliere.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Danito] #531801
02/15/09 12:39 PM
02/15/09 12:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: olivant

On the other hand, Vito said he believed Santino would be a bad Don. Would Vito let a bad Don inherit his empire?
Also, I think Vito was in a very bad condition after he had been shot. If Sonny had survived, his actions would have caused more trouble to Vito's heart. No chance he would continue as Don for more than a couple of years.

Vito was shot in late 1945. The Board consensus is that he didn't die until about 1955. So, he wasn't too bad off and without Sonny's death and the other misfortunes the family suffered, he could have contiued as Don for quite awhile.

Also, keep inmind that that Sonny's bad actions occurred while Vito was bedridden. Once he assumed his duties as Don, Sonny would have been only second in command again.

Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Lollygagers12] #531812
02/15/09 03:17 PM
02/15/09 03:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That scenario could have made for some very decent alternative outcomes for the novel and the film:

When Vito said, "I never wanted this for you...Senator Corleone, Governor Corleone..." he wasn't simply saying that if Michael had gone into politics and succeeded, Vito would simply swell with pride: "Look how good my son did!" I believe Vito's plan would be to have Michale legitimize the family. Michael would use his political office to work to legalize gambling and the federal or state level, and fold the Corleones' dominance of illegal gambling into a dominant position in legal gambling. He'd also expect Michael to channel the family's strength in labor racets into his own political base--thus being able to extend labor support to other politicians who'd support Michael in turn. Sonny would remain the head of a diminishing "olive oil business," providing behind-the-scenes muscle for the Corleones' legal gaming empire while Michael kept him at arms-length.

Sonny would have recognized and respected Michael for standing up for the family and for his sacrifice. But Sonny would never having Michael supersede him as heir-apparant. If the above scenario took place, conflict between Sonny and Michael might have started almost immediately. The prospect of brothers warring--Sonny with his muscle and street-smarts, Michael with his cool intelligence and political clout--would make for a very interesting storyline.

Of course, it'd all depend on what Michael wanted. If Sonny had survived, Michael could have returned from Sicily, married Kay, and gone back to college to complete his law degree. (The novel notes that the family provided a surrogate to take the rap for the Sol/Mac murders). He might even have taken the position that he'd done his bit for the family, made big sacrifices--now it was time for him to resume a "normal" life completely separate from Sonny and Vito. But I doubt it. As Vito said (in the novel): "A man has but one destiny." When Michael said in the hospital, "I'm with you now, Pop," and volunteered to kill Sol and Mac, he was set on his destiny.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Turnbull] #531873
02/16/09 02:15 PM
02/16/09 02:15 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
As Vito said (in the novel): "A man has but one destiny." When Michael said in the hospital, "I'm with you now, Pop," and volunteered to kill Sol and Mac, he was set on his destiny.

Yeh but we are in "what if" territory here. Sonny's destiny was to lose his temper and die on the causeway.

I agree with the notion that Michael could have gone into the "legitimate" world and made it to Senator or Governor. but only with a lot of help from friends in the press and labor unions who could get out (or possibly fix) the vote. They would have to have used the same PR offinsive that JFK's father used to make the people not look too closely at the family's background in the olive oil business (or in JFK's case the molasses business). I think this would have fallen to Tom Hagen, who would no longer be Sonny's consigliere.

At the end of the day I believe Sonny's temper would have done him in somehow, and that wouold have left Vito in a real pickle. Michael could not continue a political career, and Fredo was...well.....

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: dontomasso] #531877
02/16/09 02:39 PM
02/16/09 02:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I agree with the notion that Michael could have gone into the "legitimate" world and made it to Senator or Governor. but only with a lot of help from friends in the press and labor unions who could get out (or possibly fix) the vote. They would have to have used the same PR offinsive that JFK's father used to make the people not look too closely at the family's background in the olive oil business (or in JFK's case the molasses business). I think this would have fallen to Tom Hagen, who would no longer be Sonny's consigliere.

The analogy with JFK is apt (crooked father, war hero son). But Vito could have gotten Michael elected to Congress from his Little Italy stronghold where the Corleone name was magic. Getting him to the Senate or Governship would have been more difficult. But with the family's money and fear factor (plus the less-advanced state of investigative reporting and electronic media in those days) it'd be possible. And, if Vito'd survived, Tom would have reverted to being Vito's consigliere.
Quote:
At the end of the day I believe Sonny's temper would have done him in somehow, and that wouold have left Vito in a real pickle. Michael could not continue a political career, and Fredo was...well.....

Vito had managed to keep Sonny's temper from doing him in for a long time before he was shot. If he'd survived, there's no reason to think he wouldn't be able to do the same. I agree: if Sonny became head of the family after Vito's death, his temper would do him in. But by that time, if my guess about Vito's plan was right, the olive oil business would have been greatly diminished, and so his loss would be no big deal.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Sonny hadn't Died... [Re: Turnbull] #531893
02/16/09 06:33 PM
02/16/09 06:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, TB, I think that Vito would have kept a lid on Sonny's actions. Remember, even in '55, Vito would have only been 65 or so. Even with his heart problems, he could have remained as Dona and the division of labor in the family that he wanted would have progressed - Sonny to take ove the family and Michael into politics or business.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull