GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Turnbull), 366 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,396
Posts1,060,116
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Corleones and drugs #524145
12/11/08 11:11 PM
12/11/08 11:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content OP
Turnbull  Online Content OP

AZ
This thread was stimulated by dontomasso’s “Sale of drugs compromise” thread:

Sollozzo offered Vito 30 percent of his drugs business, amounting to $3-4 million in the first year…”and then it would go up.” Vito said no. But at the Don’s Convention, when Vito was forced to capitulate, it seemed that all he’d get out of his agreement to provide police and political protection for the drugs trade was a rental fee for his cops and judges. As Barzini said, “Of course he can provide a bill for such services,” which I interpreted to mean, “…if and when they’re needed.” Doesn’t seem like much for an agreement that, in effect, enabled the drugs business. What’s more, by that time it was to be a nationwide business (Barzini: “Then it is agreed—the traffic in drugs will be permitted and Don Corleone will give it protection in the East”), not just twixt Sol, Tatt and Barz.

Of course, Vito was negotiating out of weakness at that point, and his main interest was getting Michael back safely to the US. But my question is: Having removed his drugs roadblock, was Vito content simply with his rental fees? Or, seeing that other families around the nation would get rich from drugs, did he—and later, Michael—become active in the actual drugs trade in order to maintain their strength against the other families? Did he maintain his disapproval of drugs by just providing protection, or did he finally heed Tom’s early warning about the other families getting stronger unless the Corleones got in?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: Turnbull] #524153
12/12/08 03:05 AM
12/12/08 03:05 AM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Hmm, it definitely seems as if the other Dons really put the squeeze on Vito in this one, offering him millions less than the original deal Sollozo had offered.

And I personally don't think Vito gave much thought to how the Corleones would operate in a new drug laden criminal underworld. As TB said, he was primarily concerned with getting Micheal home at that point, and quite frankly I don't think he wanted to live in a world where drugs played such a key role in both their business and society as a whole. He was more than content to die when he did (per the novel).

Last edited by Ice; 12/12/08 03:10 AM.

Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: Turnbull] #524158
12/12/08 06:23 AM
12/12/08 06:23 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I think that Tom especially would have tried to ensure that the rental fee was at least somewhat commensurate with the profits the other families were making with the new drug businesses.

Sollozzo's original offer was for finance and protection; the revised compromise was just for protection so probably the Corleones wouldn't have got as much money as under the original offer-especially since the other Families likely blamed them for the war.

As mentioned, Vito was only interested in getting Michael back safely and plotting his revenge. So I think he would have directed all his abilities to those purposes. Per book I think it states that everyone understood that Vito would not invest his money in drugs or be involved operationally. Even if Vito saw much how much money the other Families were making he wouldn't make a stink because he was playing possum to allow a bloody revenge to be exacted later. No need to tip his hand.

But criminals being who they are once Vito was out of the picture I think Michael would have licensed a more aggressive and direct entry into the narcotics business. It also is hard to believe that Clemenza would have been taking recruiting trips every five years or so to Sicily and not have taken the opportunity to arrange a few business deals on the Family's behalf.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: Lilo] #524175
12/12/08 12:31 PM
12/12/08 12:31 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
There's some ambiguity in the book as to whether Tessio and Clemenza were able to organize as separate families. It could have been a way for the Corleones to get into the drugs trade without being too directly involved, much as Disney spun off a movie company (Touchstone?) that didn't make strictly family films.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: Lilo] #524176
12/12/08 12:38 PM
12/12/08 12:38 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

After he wiped out all the heads of the five families, there is little doubt that Michael invested in the drug trade. I believe, however he held to the deal his father agreed to because in GF III he takes Joey Zasa to task for delling frugs in the old Italian neighborhoods. Not for selling drugs in the "dark areas" but in the neighborhoods. This tells me that Michael is amenable to selling drugs with some restrictions.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: dontomasso] #524232
12/12/08 06:00 PM
12/12/08 06:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As several of you have pointed out, Vito's capitulation was solely to insure Mike's safe return. Once that was accomplished, really and truly, all bets were off. That's why he put Mike in charge because that way he could technically claim that he had kept his side of the deal. In the meantime, Vito probably accepted fees for his help with the drug trade because money wasn't what he was interested in.

In the novel it says that after the dons meeting Tom was sure that "in the subtle and complex mind of the Godfather a far ranging plan of action was being initiated that made the day's happenings no more than a tactical retreat." Once Vito was dead and Mike was in charge, he probably gave in to reality and tolerated the drug trade while getting a percentage.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: olivant] #524234
12/12/08 06:55 PM
12/12/08 06:55 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Ollie posted a lot of what I was going to say. I have no doubts that Mike got the Corleones into the drug business, and I would doubt that they were only in the business a little bit. In GF3 Mike had the power which means he had the money and he had to make it somehow...

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: Longneck] #524626
12/15/08 02:59 PM
12/15/08 02:59 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Another hint that the Corleones were in the drug business came in Sicily when Vincent commented with Zasa out, there was a vacuum and if the Corleones did not fill it "the Colombians" would. Far as I know "the Colombians" didn't care about running numbers or women. Vincent's comment is also an admission that his rubbing out Zasa was a mistake.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Corleones and drugs [Re: dontomasso] #526242
12/25/08 06:34 AM
12/25/08 06:34 AM
greece
C
constantino Offline
Wiseguy
constantino  Offline
C
Wiseguy
greece
My oppinion is that Vito agreed to provide protection because he already had in his mind the move towards the gambling.So, he didn't have much of interest.the move to Nevada was long decided-before Vito's death.

bonasera bonasera.what I've ever done to you to make you treat me so disrepsectfully

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull