GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DanteMoltisanti, 2 invisible), 458 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,467
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,951
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Had Barzini survived #508535
09/07/08 08:16 PM
09/07/08 08:16 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline OP
Underboss
svsg  Offline OP
Underboss
Existential Well
Had Barzini survived Al Neri's attempt to shoot him, would Michael have been able to fight him? Maybe Barzini would have influenced the remaining bosses to unite against Michael.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: svsg] #508547
09/07/08 08:33 PM
09/07/08 08:33 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Never.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Sicilian Babe] #508548
09/07/08 08:35 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline OP
Underboss
svsg  Offline OP
Underboss
Existential Well
Thanks SB smile

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: svsg] #508549
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Anytime, sweetie.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Sicilian Babe] #508576
09/07/08 11:23 PM
09/07/08 11:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Assuming that the other Dons were dead, Barzini's back would be against the wall. But since he was the strongest of the bunch, he could have waged an effective war against Michael that might have derailed Michael's "legitimacy" plans even if Michael ultimately won.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Turnbull] #508598
09/08/08 07:55 AM
09/08/08 07:55 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

If Barzini survived the first hit, there would have been a second one. He had no allies left, and probably very little muscle. His only chance would be to go into hiding.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: dontomasso] #508616
09/08/08 11:31 AM
09/08/08 11:31 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Barzini would go into hiding. The other three dons (Tattaglia, Cuneo and Stracci) that I consider allies have all just been murdered on the orders of Michael Corleone, who I thought was small potatoes. Not only that, but Michael was able to figure out that his caporegime Tessio and brother-in-law Carlo were working against the family and Michael has had them killed. Barzini would be a fool not to go into hiding.

I suspect that the Barzini Family was still quite strong, however, and there might be another long and destructive war between Barzini and Corleones.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: dontommasino] #508626
09/08/08 01:06 PM
09/08/08 01:06 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: dontommasino
I suspect that the Barzini Family was still quite strong, however, and there might be another long and destructive war between Barzini and Corleones.

I'm not too sure. I think a lot of his muscle would be cutting deals with the Corleones. It wouldn't be personal, it would just be good business.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: dontomasso] #508943
09/10/08 06:01 PM
09/10/08 06:01 PM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
If Barzini survived the first hit, there would have been a second one. He had no allies left, and probably very little muscle. His only chance would be to go into hiding.

Agreed. And he would also be found out and killed later.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: dontomasso] #508944
09/10/08 06:02 PM
09/10/08 06:02 PM
Silver Spring, Md
I
ibarramedia Offline
Made Member
ibarramedia  Offline
I
Made Member
Silver Spring, Md
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: dontommasino

I'm not too sure. I think a lot of his muscle would be cutting deals with the Corleones. It wouldn't be personal, it would just be good business.

That would also be another possibility.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: ibarramedia] #508952
09/10/08 06:51 PM
09/10/08 06:51 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I know that we are talking the Trilogy here, but in a way, the novel "kind of" answers your question.

If memory serves me correctly, after the great massacre, there were several Dons left who were not killed by The Corleones (can't recall off hand which ones right now) along with the survivers of the family heads that were wiped out. And I think that the novel says that the surviving Dons made the peace with the Corleones and that those families whose Don's were killed were split up and most of them made deals and were taken over by The Corleones.

So to answer your question and going by the movie, if Barzini had survided, but ALL of the other Don's were killed, it is my opinion that Barzini might have made an attempt to try and take over what was left of the families. He may have tried to get what was left of the other families to align with him against Michael, but I don't believe that he would have been successful in trying to do so. Just as the surviving families were unable to take on Michael in the novel without Barzini, Barzini would have been unable to defeat Michael without the other families in the movie.

Anyway I think that Michael probably had a "plan B" already in place had his attempt to murder Barzini failed.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Don Cardi] #508963
09/10/08 09:37 PM
09/10/08 09:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
One little hint of things to come:
In a deleted scene from II, Neri (in the boathouse at Anthony's party) shows Michael a photo of Fabrizzio and says, "He entered this country in 1956, sponsored by the Barzini Family"[emphasis added]. It suggests that, even a year after the Great Massacre, some anti-Corleone people in what remained of Barzini's family were still active, or at least saw the need to pay off Fab for betraying Michael when he was in Sicily.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Don Cardi] #508980
09/10/08 10:54 PM
09/10/08 10:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I know that we are talking the Trilogy here, but in a way, the novel "kind of" answers your question.

If memory serves me correctly, after the great massacre, there were several Dons left who were not killed by The Corleones (can't recall off hand which ones right now) along with the survivers of the family heads that were wiped out. And I think that the novel says that the surviving Dons made the peace with the Corleones and that those families whose Don's were killed were split up and most of them made deals and were taken over by The Corleones.

So to answer your question and going by the movie, if Barzini had survided, but ALL of the other Don's were killed, it is my opinion that Barzini might have made an attempt to try and take over what was left of the families. He may have tried to get what was left of the other families to align with him against Michael, but I don't believe that he would have been successful in trying to do so. Just as the surviving families were unable to take on Michael in the novel without Barzini, Barzini would have been unable to defeat Michael without the other families in the movie.

Anyway I think that Michael probably had a "plan B" already in place had his attempt to murder Barzini failed.

In the novel only Barzini and Tattaglia are murdered, but some of their capos went over to the Corleones. None of the other families are mentioned, but it says that the Corleones were unchallengeable.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: olivant] #509094
09/11/08 04:40 PM
09/11/08 04:40 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

In the novel only Barzini and Tattaglia are murdered, but some of their capos went over to the Corleones. None of the other families are mentioned, but it says that the Corleones were unchallengeable.

Yeah there was a whole rash of defections that Puzo lists. I think the Corleones also went ahead and eliminated several enforcers from either family to prevent retaliation. In the book, the other Dons (Cuneo and Stracci) aren't killed, but aren't conspiring against Michael in the book and aren't big enough to mount an effective response.

From strictly the novel's perspective...would the Corleones have sent emissaries to Cuneo and Stracci to ensure them that their beef was with Barzini and Tattaglia and that they would not be killed as long as they made deals with Michael Corleone? Seems to make sense just in case Stracci or Cuneo were going to try something.

Last edited by dontommasino; 09/11/08 04:41 PM.
Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: dontommasino] #509107
09/11/08 06:21 PM
09/11/08 06:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I would have thought that (from the novel's perspective) Michael's sudden, completely successful elimination of Barzini, Tattaglia and Carlo constituted a shot across Cuneo's and Stracci's bows. Vito always counseled not to make needless threats, and none were needed after that.

Re: Had Barzini survived [Re: Sicilian Babe] #510556
09/20/08 08:58 AM
09/20/08 08:58 AM
belgrade,serbia
uomini_d_onore Offline
Wiseguy
uomini_d_onore  Offline
Wiseguy
belgrade,serbia
no..

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull