GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (irishkaos), 147 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,881
Members10,349
Most Online992
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? #496434
06/29/08 11:18 AM
06/29/08 11:18 AM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline OP
Made Member
Montauk  Offline OP
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
I guess I'm referring to Mario Puzo in numerous interviews speaking about the old-school Mafia (versus today's) having codes of honor, loyalty, dignity, strong family ties, etc.

The Corleones, as penned by Puzo, are all about devotion, loyalty, unbreakable binds, etc. etc.

So, here's where the paradox creeps in (for me at least).

OK, GRANTED, Sonny reveals that he's into the deal that Sollozzo's offering with his OOPS! during the meeting and might be in disagreement with his father's decision. But where in the Turk's head did he somehow calculate that he could simply kill the old man, and everyone would just shrug and say, "OK, now that he's out of the way, you were saying...?" I mean, COME ON!

Unless PUZO deep down felt that all this family stuff with the Mob was a bunch of hokum and that, at the end of the day, they're all cutthroat mercenaries who'd deal their mothers (or in this case, fathers) for the highest bidder. If THIS is the case, it would make Sollozzo's move quite logical, albeit STILL a major blunder in that the 5 shots didn't finish the job.

I dunno, that portion of the story always had me scratching my head.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Montauk] #496450
06/29/08 01:44 PM
06/29/08 01:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
IMO, the answer is probably less subtle than you're suggesting: Sollozzo was taking advantage of what he perceived as a c***k in the family's armor. Puzo suggested that Sonny was careless, not that family loyalty, honor, etc., were BS. For recent discussions about Sol and the drugs meeting, see here:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=490960#Post490960

and

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...true#Post444618

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Turnbull] #496472
06/29/08 04:59 PM
06/29/08 04:59 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I always questioned why Sollozzo thought that Sonny's malaproprism indicated that he would go for the deal. It could have just as easily been interpreted as Sonny's immature outburst about a relatively incidental part of Sollozzo's proposal. In any case, Vito's refusal had to be anticipated by Sollozzo who would have already planned his murder if he refused.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: olivant] #496537
06/30/08 08:48 AM
06/30/08 08:48 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
I always questioned why Sollozzo thought that Sonny's malaproprism indicated that he would go for the deal. It could have just as easily been interpreted as Sonny's immature outburst about a relatively incidental part of Sollozzo's proposal. In any case, Vito's refusal had to be anticipated by Sollozzo who would have already planned his murder if he refused.

Basically Vito told Sollozzo "NO." Sollozzo then wanted to continue to negotiate and says something to the effect if it is finance Vito is worried about, the Tattaglias will agree to guarantee his investment. Sonny then jumps in and takes the bait, as if something were still negotiable. That tipped his hand.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: dontomasso] #496548
06/30/08 10:09 AM
06/30/08 10:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I know. Sollozzo asks Vito if he's worried about security for his $2 million and that the Tattaglias will guarantee it. Since he didn't mention any % cost to the Corleones for that guarantee, Sonny would naturally be curious. But Sollozzo must have planned to kill Vito anyway, so Sonny's malaproprism would not have changed his course.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: olivant] #496554
06/30/08 10:45 AM
06/30/08 10:45 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I wonder if Sollozzo was being honest on how the money was ging to be split. Obviously the Barzinis were in on it also, so maybe he was lying about the Tattaglia's cut.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: dontomasso] #496619
06/30/08 02:35 PM
06/30/08 02:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, his statement, "I'll take care of the Tattaglias out of my end," had a certain slippery quality to it. No honor among thieves. If Vito had gone for the deal, you can bet he would have had Tom looking over Sol's shoulder.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Turnbull] #496631
06/30/08 03:09 PM
06/30/08 03:09 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito's concern about drugs was that he would lose his political protection if that was his business, but in fact when they reached the compromise to regulate the sale of it the way they did, Vito did not appear to lose his political influence at all. Had someone thought this through earlier it would have avoided a lot of trouble. Personally I think Vito'r real reason for not going in on the deal was that he was not in control of it. He was just along for hte ride, and was more afraid that Sol would run amok than anything else.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: dontomasso] #496634
06/30/08 03:19 PM
06/30/08 03:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Personally I think Vito'r real reason for not going in on the deal was that he was not in control of it. He was just along for hte ride, and was more afraid that Sol would run amok than anything else.

...or that Sonny would run amok. The novel says Sonny wanted it because he was itching for some action on his own and to "get out from under his father's thumb."

Last edited by Turnbull; 06/30/08 03:20 PM.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Turnbull] #496668
06/30/08 09:14 PM
06/30/08 09:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Vito eventually consented to sanction drugs in order to bring Michael home and to carry out his plan for a day of reckoning.

Sollozzo welcomed Tom's discovery of his association with the Tattaglia's. That assured him that noone had discovered his alliance with Barzini.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: olivant] #496850
07/01/08 03:05 PM
07/01/08 03:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: olivant
Sollozzo welcomed Tom's discovery of his association with the Tattaglia's. That assured him that noone had discovered his alliance with Barzini.

I was always puzzled by Sol's "My compliments" to Tom after Vito asked about the percentage for the Tattaglias. It would be in Sol's favor for Vito to know that the Tats were backing him so Vito wouldn't think he was some two-bit punk (as Woltz would put it). I doubt Vito would have sanctioned the meeting if he didn't know that Sol was backed by another Don. And, as you point out, it helped hide Barzini's role.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Turnbull] #496888
07/01/08 09:11 PM
07/01/08 09:11 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
In the meeting with Sollozzo, Vito says that he knows Sollozzo is a "serious" man. I think that's a nice way of saying 'I know you're a bully and you aren't going to stop until you get what you want'. Vito may be more cautious for good reason. He can't be sure of how far Sol is willing to go. Sonny is short-sighted and only thinking of the money. It's an interesting look into the chess game of gangsters, who in reality are clever, ruthless business men.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: MaryCas] #497011
07/02/08 12:07 PM
07/02/08 12:07 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I'm thinking the Don smelled something with the Tataglia thing. I think the reason Vito said no had more to do with dealing with Sollozo and not trusting him rather than just being against drugs.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Longneck] #497025
07/02/08 12:56 PM
07/02/08 12:56 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Maybe Sol's comment to Tom about the Don "slippin'" specifically his statement about his ability to "get to him"
had a double meaning, one being able to assassinate him, the other being having a one one one meeting without having advanced knowledge that Tat was backing him.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Longneck] #497037
07/02/08 02:32 PM
07/02/08 02:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Longneck
I'm thinking the Don smelled something with the Tataglia thing. I think the reason Vito said no had more to do with dealing with Sollozo and not trusting him rather than just being against drugs.

You're absolutely right Longneck :

"I'm a little worried about this Sollozzo fella. I want you to find out what he's got under his fingernails, ya'know. Go to the ah Tattaglia's, uh, and ah, make them think that ah you're -- you're not too happy with our family and -- and ah find out what you can."

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Don Cardi] #503140
08/06/08 12:47 PM
08/06/08 12:47 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline
Button
New York
If we lose the old man, we lose our political contacts and half our strength. The other New York families might wind up supporting Sollozzo just to avoid a long, destructive war. This is almost 1946. Nobody wants bloodshed anymore. If your father dies, you make the deal, Sonny.

I cant see how that could have happened.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: TahoeShooter] #503141
08/06/08 12:59 PM
08/06/08 12:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: TahoeShooter

I cant see how that could have happened.

What could have happened? That the other families would have sided with Solozzo to avoid a long, costly war? Or that Sonny would make the deal if hs father died?

Both were credible scenarios. It appears, from the film and the book, that the other families did take sides against the Corleones. The book says that, after the murder of Sol and Mac, the police clamped down on all Mob operations. The families sent an emissary to Sonny and Tom asking if they would give up the murderer. When they refused, "...the Five Families War of 1946" commenced.

Sonny's temper, and perhaps his guilt in knowing that his gaffe at the drugs meeting emboldened Sol to strike at Vito, may have hardened him against making any deal with Sol under any circumstances. But if Vito died, he'd be under tremendous pressure from Tom and the caporegimes to stop the war and get back to business. The Corleones couldn't run on empty indefinitely, and they'd need income from drugs and other sources to rebuild the police/political capital they'd lost due to Vito's death. I think it's at least possible that Sonny would have made a deal.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: Turnbull] #503143
08/06/08 01:06 PM
08/06/08 01:06 PM
New York
TahoeShooter Offline
Button
TahoeShooter  Offline
Button
New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

What could have happened? That the other families would have sided with Solozzo to avoid a long, costly war? Or that Sonny would make the deal if hs father died?

Both were credible scenarios. It appears, from the film and the book, that the other families did take sides against the Corleones. The book says that, after the murder of Sol and Mac, the police clamped down on all Mob operations. The families sent an emissary to Sonny and Tom asking if they would give up the murderer. When they refused, "...the Five Families War of 1946" commenced.

Sonny's temper, and perhaps his guilt in knowing that his gaffe at the drugs meeting emboldened Sol to strike at Vito, may have hardened him against making any deal with Sol under any circumstances. But if Vito died, he'd be under tremendous pressure from Tom and the caporegimes to stop the war and get back to business. The Corleones couldn't run on empty indefinitely, and they'd need income from drugs and other sources to rebuild the police/political capital they'd lost due to Vito's death. I think it's at least possible that Sonny would have made a deal.

Yes... but someone would have to eventually have the master plan and strike first because one or more of family heads would get whacked. First on that list is get rid of Corleone family.... AGAIN.

Re: Could The Turk have been Puzo's "tell"? [Re: TahoeShooter] #503147
08/06/08 02:04 PM
08/06/08 02:04 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think Sonny would have caved into the pressure of drug dealing for two reasons : first he wanted in all allong anyway and second, the first time Hagen told Sonny "if the old man dies you make the deal" SOnny's rsponse was "thats easy for you to say he's not your father. The second time Hagen told Sonny to hold off and listen to what Sollozzo had to say Sonny agreed "to wait." It was MICHAEL who then said "We can't wait" so perhas Sonny was aware his temper had caused the whole mess and may have been more receptive to Hagen's suggestions.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull