GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Blackmobs, 1 invisible), 405 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,476
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,959
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Word On The Street... #491065
06/02/08 04:16 PM
06/02/08 04:16 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
In the aftermath of the shooting of Vito Corleone, I know the family briefly suspected Clemenza was involved, and overall there was an air of panic and confusion culminating in the knowledge that Luca Brasi was dead. During this time Clemenza shows up at Sonny's place and he tells Sonny the "word on the street is he's already dead." Sonny acts with his usual diplomacy to this. My question is did Sollozzo and/or the Tattaglias deliberately put this word out on the street to confuse people or perhaps somehow get people to abandon the Corleones? It would seem to me the only people interested in spreading this kind of rumor would be the Corleone family, (had they been thinking straight) to see if anyone would immediately defect. In fact it was Clemenza who first confirms within the family that he is going to make it.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: dontomasso] #491068
06/02/08 04:23 PM
06/02/08 04:23 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good question.

I think it's the old game of "telephone". Word of mouth about Vito's shooting spread and as the story was told over and over it soon "added" that Vito was dead.

Still, its an interesting point about possible defectors.

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: dontomasso] #491070
06/02/08 04:25 PM
06/02/08 04:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the novel Sonny gets a call from a bookmaker stating that Vito is dead. In the movie the neighborhood people who gathered around probably thought he was dead or about to become so. Consequently, it was probably just people working from the knowledge they thin they had and not puposeful by the Tattaglias.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Word On The Street... [Re: olivant] #491099
06/02/08 06:19 PM
06/02/08 06:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: olivant
In the novel Sonny gets a call from a bookmaker stating that Vito is dead. In the movie the neighborhood people who gathered around probably thought he was dead or about to become so. Consequently, it was probably just people working from the knowledge they thin they had and not puposeful by the Tattaglias.

That seems most logical. Clemenza asked around, or was called, by the people in the neighborhood, and they all thought Vito was dead. In the novel, the detective who calls Sonny says "there's a lot of blood around but it's not as bad as it looks."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Word On The Street... [Re: Turnbull] #491127
06/02/08 10:09 PM
06/02/08 10:09 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I think it basically was just "word on the street".Like SC posted, after it got passed around a "Chinese whispers" effect happened.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Word On The Street... [Re: whisper] #491384
06/04/08 12:51 PM
06/04/08 12:51 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
the witnesses of the shooting who were at those fruit stands at the time probably thought he was dead and the word got out. it's that "effect" you're talking about. if I was there I would say "I just saw Vito Corleone got shot" but there is always someone to say "Vito Corleone got killed, I just saw it!"

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Word On The Street... [Re: Tony Mosrite] #491389
06/04/08 01:51 PM
06/04/08 01:51 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
or... someone says Vito Corleone got shot, then some one interprets it as he got killed. either way, same effect.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Word On The Street... [Re: FrankWhite] #510689
09/20/08 08:27 PM
09/20/08 08:27 PM
H
hugeguy Offline
Associate
hugeguy  Offline
H
Associate
The answer is in (and this also includes 99% of the questions regarding The Godfather part1)in the book. Read it Turnball's post is right.

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: Turnbull] #510796
09/21/08 06:09 PM
09/21/08 06:09 PM
belgrade,serbia
uomini_d_onore Offline
Wiseguy
uomini_d_onore  Offline
Wiseguy
belgrade,serbia
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: olivant

That seems most logical. Clemenza asked around, or was called, by the people in the neighborhood, and they all thought Vito was dead. In the novel, the detective who calls Sonny says "there's a lot of blood around but it's not as bad as it looks."

exactly

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: uomini_d_onore] #510797
09/21/08 06:33 PM
09/21/08 06:33 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I know that the Corleone brass (in the novel) suspects Clemenza and Paulie, but I don't think that made it from book to screen. If one simply saw the movie, he or she might have no indication that the Corleones suspected Clemenza. Clemenza is present at the "council of war" with Mike, Sal, Tom and Santino who is pretty sure that Paulie "gave up" the "old man."

The only clue might be when Clemenza asks Santino if he wants some of Clemenza's men sent over and then Santino answers "no," but once Clemenza leaves he tells his wife that he is sending some men over (presumedly from his regime).

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: dontommasino] #510847
09/21/08 11:26 PM
09/21/08 11:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
I know that the Corleone brass (in the novel) suspects Clemenza and Paulie, but I don't think that made it from book to screen. If one simply saw the movie, he or she might have no indication that the Corleones suspected Clemenza. Clemenza is present at the "council of war" with Mike, Sal, Tom and Santino who is pretty sure that Paulie "gave up" the "old man."

The only clue might be when Clemenza asks Santino if he wants some of Clemenza's men sent over and then Santino answers "no," but once Clemenza leaves he tells his wife that he is sending some men over (presumedly from his regime).

Actually it is shown in the movie. Unfortunately it's in a deleted scene. It's a scene that I've always felt was one that should never have been deleted.

Michael arrives at the Corleone Mall after finding out that his father has been shot, and when he walks into the house, we are shown Thresa Hagen sitting alongside Clemenza, outside the Don's office. When Michael enters the Don's office, we see Sonny and Tessio sitting there talking. Now I don't remember the exact dialogue, so I am going to paraphrase a bit here.

Sonny tells Michael to leave, that he may not like what he is going to hear from him and Tessio. So Michael tells him " He's my father too." Sonny says something like " Pop would kill me if he found out that I let you in on this stuff." But Michael refuses to leave. Sonny then says something like " Ok college boy, you're so smart, who set up the old man, was it Clemenza or Paulie?" and Michael sits there for a moment and then says " Nah, not Clemenza, It had to be Paulie." and Sonny tells him, "Yes you're right, our man in the phone company confirmed that by tracing the calls from a phone booth across the street from pop's office." So that scene tells us that Sonny immedeatly suspected Clemenza, and that is why he had Clemenza sit out of that meeting between him and Tessio. They were deciding and trying to find out if Clemenza was involved.

Now again, I may not have the exact dialogue down pat, but that is basically what took place in that scene. It clearifies the later scene which shows Sonny telling Clemenza to take care of Paulie, because he set up the old man. Without that deleted scene we are left to wonder how Sonny came to that conclusion.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Word On The Street... [Re: Don Cardi] #510890
09/22/08 07:04 AM
09/22/08 07:04 AM
belgrade,serbia
uomini_d_onore Offline
Wiseguy
uomini_d_onore  Offline
Wiseguy
belgrade,serbia
I like your pic Cardi.. Don Gotti is one of my fave gangsters. ( RIP JOHN )

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull