GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ciment, Mafia101, 1 invisible), 473 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,525
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,532
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,452
Posts1,061,180
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30944
07/27/05 10:37 AM
07/27/05 10:37 AM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Carlo didn't fight back and was taking the beating entirely. Was he a wimp or that was part of the setup to assassinate Sonny later?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30945
07/27/05 10:46 AM
07/27/05 10:46 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Not only was he a wimp...he was a CLASSIC wimp.

Comfortable putting down & beating up his pregnant wife but not man enough to even try to fight back when attacked by his much bigger brother-in-law.

Unless the novel says otherwise, I'd bet the 'setup' with Barzini came later.

But even if it didn't...Carlo was still a wimp.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30946
07/27/05 10:52 AM
07/27/05 10:52 AM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
He was a wimp.....any man that beats his wife is a wimp....he knew that Sonny would kill him if he ever found out, and sure enough he found out...lol.
He really didn't have a chance to fight back.....Sonny exploded on him right away......even with that famous fake punch Sonny throws that never connects.....lol...classic!!!
The thing that I think scared Carlo the most though.....was that Don Vito and Mama Corleone always stopped Sonny from getting envolved.....now that Sonny was in charge there was no stopping him.

The Bull!!!

"...you straightened my brother out??"

"Give him a living, but never discuss the family business in front of him."
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30947
07/27/05 11:00 AM
07/27/05 11:00 AM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Originally posted by BarrytheBull:
He was a wimp.....any man that beats his wife is a wimp
That includes Mike? smile

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30948
07/27/05 11:03 AM
07/27/05 11:03 AM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
I never said Mike was tough.....but hey I would of hit that bitch if I was him too......killing my son like that.....she is lucky she didn't get the same fate Carlo and Fredo did.....lol.

The Bull!!!

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30949
07/27/05 11:11 AM
07/27/05 11:11 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Of course he was a wimp. Any man that beats on a woman and does not fight back a man is just a plain punk.

But in the novel I believe that Puzo explains that when Sonny is beating Carlo, he knows that he cannot hit Sonny back because by doing so he would be signing his own death sentence.

His taking the first beating had nothing to do with the Barzini plan. I think that later on, when he is approached by the Barzini's he realizes that he could use the beating of Connie to set Sonny up. But again it was not his original plan when he took the first beating.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30950
07/27/05 11:15 AM
07/27/05 11:15 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Complete wimp. Complete coward. Complete jerk. Wife beating idiot. Right before Sonny beats him up we see him trying to act like some kind of big shot around some neighborhood "toughs" who also run for cover when Sonny jumps out of the car.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30951
07/27/05 11:18 AM
07/27/05 11:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
YOU TOUCH MY SISTER AGAIN, I'LL KILL YA."

One of my favorite scenes. grin

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30952
07/27/05 11:21 AM
07/27/05 11:21 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Remember Vito Andolini:
[b] He was a wimp.....any man that beats his wife is a wimp
That includes Mike? smile [/b]
Although Michael did strike Kay out of sheer rage when she told him of the abortion...I would not categorize him as a 'wife beater'.

Nor a wimp.

Carlo was a wimp.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30953
07/27/05 11:25 AM
07/27/05 11:25 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agreee. Carlo was a typical bully. In the novel, we see that he married Connie, not out of love, but for what he hoped would be a cushy life. When he got the lowly job at the bookmaking operation (which in the novel, we are told he was incompetent), he was angry and resentful. He first slapped Connie around out of anger, and expected to be punished. When there were no repercussions, he bragged about it to his coworkers at the book, and it made him feel very manly. I believe that Sonny's anger and actions gave the Barzini's a solution to lure him out of hiding by getting an impetuous reaction from him. They then approached Carlo, who was happy to get back at the family who he felt had treated him so disrespectfully.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30954
07/27/05 11:41 AM
07/27/05 11:41 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

And of course, Michael's subsequent action in which he said Carlo would be his top man in Vegas was a characteristic "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" move.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30955
07/27/05 12:06 PM
07/27/05 12:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by dontomasso:
And of course, Michael's subsequent action in which he said Carlo would be his top man in Vegas was a characteristic "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" move.
then
And the Don's adding to it by saying to Carlo
" I'm happy for you Carlo."

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30956
07/27/05 12:07 PM
07/27/05 12:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
then

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30957
07/27/05 12:37 PM
07/27/05 12:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] And of course, Michael's subsequent action in which he said Carlo would be his top man in Vegas was a characteristic "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" move.
then

Don Cardi cool [/b]
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Vito and Michael hatched this plan. Maybe something like this:

Vito: Not that I think Tom wouldn't be a help tp you, understand, but if you think he can't handle a war, well....

Mike: I have you, pop, and now with Neri, I have the muscle we need.

Vito: We still need to protect your sister.

Michael: I know, pop, I'll protect her. I say we tell Carlo we're giving him something important. That's what he's always wanted.

Vito: How would you do it?

Michael: We need to do it in an open way. In a way that makes him feel very close to us. Tessio and Clemenza want a meeting with you, right?

Vito: Yes, Michael.

Michael: So we have the meeting. Here. In your office. It'll be Tessio, Clemenza, Tom and Carlo. Now Carlo has never been to a meeting like this, right? So he won't know if we're on to him or not.

Vito: Tessio and Clemenza are going to ask me if they can break away from the family.

Michael: Yes, and I will step in to tell them they have to wait. When I do, I'll also tell Tom that he's out, and I'll tell Carlo that he's going to be my top man in Vegas. It will take Carlo by surprise, and it will allow us to see whether Tessio or Clemenza, or both of them betray the family. (pause) But when I tell them to stay, they will appeal to you.

Vito: I will direct them back to you, and then I will speak to Tom. He has been as loyal as my own blood -- maybe more loyal --- well --- anyway --- I want to show him some respect.

Michael: So we keep Tom, Tessio and Clemenza close, but we keep Carlo closer.

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30958
07/27/05 12:48 PM
07/27/05 12:48 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

He was a wimp.....any man that beats his wife is a wimp....he knew that Sonny would kill him if he ever found out, and sure enough he found out...lol.
He really didn't have a chance to fight back.....Sonny exploded on him right away......even with that famous fake punch Sonny throws that never connects.....lol...classic!!!
The thing that I think scared Carlo the most though.....was that Don Vito and Mama Corleone always stopped Sonny from getting envolved.....now that Sonny was in charge there was no stopping him.
There is a deleted scene where Connie runs downstairs and Sonny goes to get up to go upstairs at Carlo and Vito says "Don't ever get between a man and his wife" or something along those lines. I think if that scene was added to the movie it would have shown that the beating Sonny was giving Carlo was more "built up anger" etc.. and reenforced your statement that there was no stopping him.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30959
07/27/05 01:06 PM
07/27/05 01:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That scene with Sonny beating Carlo was well done dramatically and served several purposes. The main one, I think, was to underscore Carlo's lack of character and thus to set us up for his eventual betrayal of Sonny and his own demise. BTW: in the novel, Carlo thought to himself: "Man to man, he thought he could take Sonny..." Puzo then said Carlo might have been a little bigger than Sonny, a little better muscled. But, as all of us said here, he was a wimp, precisely the coward that lurks in any wife-beater. And, as DC said, he realized that if he fought back, Sonny'd kill him,

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30960
07/27/05 02:35 PM
07/27/05 02:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As it says in the novel, Carlo would have to call up all of his courage to kill while Sonny could kill as easily as an animal kills. Because of that realization, I imagine that Carlo had to temper his reactions to Soony's aggression.

By the way, it is inappropriate and rather immature for at least one poster above to use the "B" word when referring to women.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30961
07/27/05 03:04 PM
07/27/05 03:04 PM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
Olivant....I was not referring to all women in general......just her, you can not sit there and tell me that she was not a bitch. She killed her own child for crying out loud.
I would never refer to a woman as a bitch, unless they did something to deserve it.
That is all I meant in my statement.

The Bull!!!

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30962
07/27/05 03:32 PM
07/27/05 03:32 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...I would never refer to a woman as a bitch, unless they did something to deserve it...
As stated previously...it is inappropriate and rather IMMATURE to the word when referring to women. Any woman.

Just because you feel a particular female (whether fictional or otherwise) did something to 'deserve' the title...doesn't make it any more appropriate.

[Linked Image]

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30963
07/27/05 03:40 PM
07/27/05 03:40 PM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
He who is without sin shall cast the first stone.......I am sorry if I offended anyone, my statement was not meant to do that......but I do not take back what I said......everyone thinks differently.......I guess if you think that is immature that is your opinion......I would like to remind you that I am referring to a fictional character not a real person.

The Bull!!!

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30964
07/27/05 05:15 PM
07/27/05 05:15 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Without sin?? In here???? eek eek

Re: Sonny / Carlo fight scene #30965
07/27/05 06:20 PM
07/27/05 06:20 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
By the way, I find interesting that Puzo allows that Vito could have been a wife beater. Why? Because in an exchange with Connie, Vito says that his wife never gave him a reason to beat her. So, apparently, beating his wife was an option with Vito for the right reason.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull