GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 649 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,523
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,532
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,451
Posts1,061,157
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bonasera's justice? #30744
07/20/05 01:18 PM
07/20/05 01:18 PM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Who were those 2 guys who took advantage of his daughter? How did they get away with the crime? Did they bribe the judge or well connected?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30745
07/20/05 01:22 PM
07/20/05 01:22 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
According to the book, one of them was "the son of a powerful politician."

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30746
07/20/05 02:02 PM
07/20/05 02:02 PM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Did Don Vito know this powerful politician and carry him in his pocket? If so, how did he whack his son?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30747
07/20/05 02:09 PM
07/20/05 02:09 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito didnt whack his son, he had him beaten up and he made him suffer as Bonasera's daughter suffered. And who says the politician knew that the Don was supporting him and beating up his son...and even if he did what could he do about it?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30748
07/20/05 02:17 PM
07/20/05 02:17 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by dontomasso:
...who says the politician knew that the Don was supporting him and beating up his son...and even if he did what could he do about it?
Vito does instruct Tom to get '...reliable people; people that aren't gonna be carried away...'

He was probably well aware of the connections enjoyed by the families of the young men. But on his daughter's wedding day decided to do Bonasera this favor and wanted to have just enough harm done to the boys to teach them a lesson. There would be little or nothing a politician could really do about it, as long as the victims weren't too seriously harmed. That's why Vito wanted someone who wouldn't get 'carried away'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30749
07/20/05 02:24 PM
07/20/05 02:24 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
However, the beating described in the book was fairly extensive. If I remember, they even broke the back of one of the boys. And weren't there brass knuckles involved? OW!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30750
07/20/05 02:31 PM
07/20/05 02:31 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
He was probably well aware of the connections enjoyed by the families of the young men. But on his daughter's wedding day decided to do Bonasera this favor and wanted to have just enough harm done to the boys to teach them a lesson. There would be little or nothing a politician could really do about it, as long as the victims weren't too seriously harmed. That's why Vito wanted someone who wouldn't get 'carried away'.

Apple
Do you think the relationship Vito may have had with the boys families is why he really wouldn't kill them. I know it was done in the movie to make us side with Vito and show that he really did have compassion and wasn't just a criminal monster who ordered others' deaths whenever it benefitted him. For the sake of the movie, it wouldn't have mattered who the boys' fathers were, they weren't going to die so that part of Vito's character could be revealed, but if it was a real life situation and two random boys had done the same thing to bonasera's daughter, would Vito have stuck to the same definition of "justice" or would he have just killed them to get this damn undertaker out of his hair?

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30751
07/20/05 02:47 PM
07/20/05 02:47 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[qb] ... if it was a real life situation and two random boys had done the same thing to bonasera's daughter, would Vito have stuck to the same definition of "justice" or would he have just killed them to get this damn undertaker out of his hair?
As Vito said...Bonasera's daughter was still alive. So to kill the young men would've been a vast miscarriage of justice, simply to satisfy a father's need for revenge.
A 'real life' Vito would probably have handled it the same way; thereby showing how he got as far as he did. Knowing when and how to handle what. Knowing when to think.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30752
07/20/05 02:59 PM
07/20/05 02:59 PM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
I wonder if Bonasera would have been a better friend, as the Godfather put it, would Don Corleon have handled it differently......he was not very happy with the way Bonasera addressed him or treated him in the past. This was a lesson to Bonasera......treat me with respect, and your enemies become my enemies.....Bonasera could have had his wish, if he was a better friend.

The Bull!!!

"...you straightened my brother out??"

"Give him a living, but never discuss the family business in front of him."
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30753
07/20/05 03:22 PM
07/20/05 03:22 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I think he would've handled those young men it the same way, even if Bonasera had been more friendly over the years. Even for a friend, he would not have had someone killed over what happened to the daughter.

Only difference here is that, he decided to make Bonasera grovel.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30754
07/20/05 03:25 PM
07/20/05 03:25 PM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Yup thats right...
If Bonasera and Don Vito Corleone were better friends these two guys were DEAD ...

*Don Zadjali

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30755
07/20/05 03:59 PM
07/20/05 03:59 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by BarrytheBull:
I wonder if Bonasera would have been a better friend, as the Godfather put it, would Don Corleon have handled it differently......he was not very happy with the way Bonasera addressed him or treated him in the past. This was a lesson to Bonasera......treat me with respect, and your enemies become my enemies.....Bonasera could have had his wish, if he was a better friend.
if Bonasera had been a better friend...had he been inviting the Godfather and Mama over for coffee, he would never have had to ask for the favor. As a friend, Vito would either have fixed it with the judge that the boys went tVito's prison or would have hurt them in some other way. After all for Vito, once he had a friend he "took care of things." The reason Bonasera had to ask on the day of the wedding of Vito's daughter is because he was NOT a friend and he had to call in a favor.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Bonasera's justice? #30756
07/20/05 04:00 PM
07/20/05 04:00 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Who carried out the job? Maybe it's in the book, but I forgot completely. I remember it were two men who did it.
My guess is that Paulie was there, and maybe someone under his command.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30757
07/20/05 04:22 PM
07/20/05 04:22 PM
Michele Corleone Offline
Made Member
Michele Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Who carried out the job? Maybe it's in the book, but I forgot completely. I remember it were two men who did it.
My guess is that Paulie was there, and maybe someone under his command.
Almost right. Paulie and two guys (ex-boxers) under his command.

Christopher: Louis Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
Sal: LUCA Brasi, Luca.
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30758
07/20/05 05:02 PM
07/20/05 05:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The whole purpose of people meeting with the Don at the wedding was to ask for favors regardless of their degree of friendship with the Don or lack thereof. Vito was very clear: murdering the two boys who assaulted Bonasera's daughter would not have been justice. His daughter was still alive. Bonasera did not bring his daughter's assault to Vito until after it had been disposed of by the court. Therefore, Vito was not in a position to intervene. Don't you remember how Vito excorciated Bonasera for going to the police and the courts first rather than coming to him first.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30759
07/20/05 06:57 PM
07/20/05 06:57 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
by Remember Vito Andolini
How did they get away with the crime?
Anyone ask this same question about OJ and Michael Jackson? Or more pertinently, George W Bush, the Leader of the Free World with his DWI and drug offences? Oh I'm sorry, they conveniently disappeared rolleyes

Puzo was spot on here - the rich and well-connected (the pezzonovante) never pay for their crimes in the same way as the common folk.

To give a more trivial (but still infuriating) example: millionaire sports stars (basketball in US; soccer in UK) who drive well in excess of the speed limit in their luxury cars. These £100,000-a-week "stars" are hit with a £250 speeding fine.

The irony is, of course, that if one of us common folk were actually to assert the true fact, e.g. that the world's richest and best-loved musician is into pederasty, we could be sued for libel and lose our livelihoods. A double whammy: for justice, and for free speech.

Yeah, the judge played golf with one of the boy's fathers grin

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Bonasera's justice? #30760
07/21/05 11:19 AM
07/21/05 11:19 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
by Remember Vito Andolini
[b]How did they get away with the crime?
Anyone ask this same question about OJ and Michael Jackson? Or more pertinently, George W Bush, the Leader of the Free World with his DWI and drug offences? Oh I'm sorry, they conveniently disappeared rolleyes

Puzo was spot on here - the rich and well-connected (the pezzonovante) never pay for their crimes in the same way as the common folk.

grin [/b]
I could not have said it better.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull