GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (U talkin' da me ??, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 103 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,940
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,644
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,540
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,479
Posts1,061,650
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30443
07/04/05 07:36 AM
07/04/05 07:36 AM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Any idea? They showed up at the church but it didn't mean they were religious deep inside.

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30444
07/04/05 08:23 AM
07/04/05 08:23 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Good question, even though I think this has been discussed before. Well, of course when you consider that Vito and Michael were first rank criminals you definitely cannot tell they were religious men, at least in the deepest meaning of the word. That being said, they certainly paid formal tribute to the Church, especially in rites and ceremonies, a formal hommage that is (still today) not uncommon at all in Catholic mobsters. Mind you, this attitude does not mean to be religious inside, because if one believes in God and in his precepts he certainly doesn't kill people or get people killed! It's rather a way to strenghten one's power being close to a most honored and respected institution like the Roman Catholic Church.
However, I like to think that ageing Michael realized the entity of his sins and repented, as we understand from his discussion/confession to Cardinal Lamberti in one of the most meaningful and touching scenes of GFIII. When Michael confesses his crimes, especially the killing of his own brother Fredo, and cries, well, he might be listening to God's voice. But since nobody goes to Heaven without tears in his eyes, Michael was going to suffer the most terrible punishment for his sins, the death of his beloved daughter, Mary, who was to be killed instead of him. From a religious point of view, this is a very powerful story of perdition and redemption. The most atrocious sorrow a men can suffer - the death of his own child - is Michael's own Cross. It is possible that Michael, dying alone in his armchair, at the only presence of a dog, in a Sicilian sleepy summer scenario, while crickets were singing aloud, asked for God's forgiveness. And got it.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30445
07/04/05 11:43 AM
07/04/05 11:43 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Even Hitler used to refer to God. Religious is as religious does. Of course, Michael never murdered anyone on Sunday.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30446
07/04/05 12:18 PM
07/04/05 12:18 PM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Originally posted by olivant:
Of course, Michael never murdered anyone on Sunday.
What day of the week did he whack Carlo and rival mob bosses who got in his way?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30447
07/04/05 01:50 PM
07/04/05 01:50 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Neither was religious. We never saw Vito in a church, either in the film or the novel. The novel says that his wife went to church every day to pray "that his soul don't go down there..." In the novel's description of the Dons' meeting, Puzo says that the West Coast Dons' bodyguards knew karate, which the other Dons regarded with as much bemusement as "amulets blessed by the Pope, though it must be said that some of these men were religious, and believed in God." I inferred that Vito wasn't one of them.
In the novel, Michael wanted his kids to be raised as Protestants because it was "more American," and was disappointed when Kay, instead, took instruction in the Catholic church so she, too, could pray for Michael's soul. True, in GFIII, Michael did make his confession. But I took a cue from Cardinal Lamberto, who, even after he forgave Michael, said: "Even now your life could be redeemed. I know you don't believe this." [emphasis added].

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30448
07/04/05 03:06 PM
07/04/05 03:06 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Is'nt it just as with real life mobsters...they are bought up in religious communities/neighbourhoods?
The religion is always in their lives..it is just something that they can switch off & put to one side whenever they need to!
Many mobsters wear crucifixes round their necks but i wonder how many of them get to Confession regularly?
I think Vito & Michael were the same..religion was just something that was in their lives...
You don't have to be religious to go to Church do you?

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30449
07/05/05 01:45 AM
07/05/05 01:45 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Excellent question RVA, I have thought about it several times. We do not have much info about Vito's religious beliefs. As far as michael is concerned, we have mixed messages from GF1 and GF3. In GF1, we see him answering "I do" for all the questions the priest asks like "Do you believe in God" , "Do you renounce satan" etc. But at the same time he is killing the heads of 5 families and also Carlo. This makes me feel that he attended church because of tradition, rather than for religion. But in GF3,after he confesses to the priest, he says to Connie "It was the man. A good man. A true priest. He changed things." Notice he says "true priest". Remember michael is the person who has scant respect for senators, governors etc because they are part of the same hypocrisy. Maybe michael had turned religious by the timeline of GF3.

Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30450
07/05/05 02:14 AM
07/05/05 02:14 AM
Underboss
Underboss
I would like to know what JM thinks about this question.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30451
07/05/05 10:41 AM
07/05/05 10:41 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I am not JM, but here is my take.

Both are culturally Roman Catholics, and certainly Vito would never go outside of the Church to say, marry off his daughter. The whole notion of "Godfather" is related to standing witness to a baby during Baptism, so socially they are inextricably tied to the Catholic Church. That said, I don't think Vito was a believer. During the peace conference among the Dons in New York, COrleone makes a comment about how gambling, even women" are forbidden by "the pezza novante and the Church." So I think he sees the Church as an institution aligned against him but one with which he muct deal.

Michael is less religious in his younger life, but if GF III is to be believed, he does seek redemption through the Church. Of course it is too little too late.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30452
07/05/05 11:04 AM
07/05/05 11:04 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I am not JM, but here is my take.
WOW, your takes are music for my ears, DT! smile

PS. I feel flirtatious today. tongue

Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30453
07/05/05 11:52 AM
07/05/05 11:52 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think we're makig too much of this. Some people are not religious really. They believe in God, but only in a cursory way. But God and his commandments doesn't affect their behavior. Vito couldn't help but grow up religiously. I assume the same about his kids. But there's no evidence in the novel or movies that religion was anything more than a backdrop to their lives. Yes, the church was an institution that Vito had to acknowledge and account for.

Also, Michael went to see Cardinal Lamberto for resolution of his problems with Lucchese et al not for absolution. That was a happenstance.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30454
07/06/05 04:03 AM
07/06/05 04:03 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by olivant:
Also, Michael went to see Cardinal Lamberto for resolution of his problems with Lucchese et al not for absolution. That was a happenstance.
As long as we know him, Michael would have never opened his heart if he wasn't in true need of being listened by a religious authority and possibly of an absolution (we know he thought he could not be forgiven for his sins, but that doesn't mean he did not want to). It's true he did not go to Cardinal Lamberto for immediate religious reasons, but their conversation soon turned in something more than business, much more. We don't see Michael in tears often in the trilogy. In fact I doubt he ever cried elsewhere. This time he cries and scream his sins out. This is not a happenstance IMO. This is a man (better, a soul) who is at a turning point of his life. Now, I don't think he became a saint in the last years of his life, but I like to imagine that he spent those years in search of redemption, especially after Mary's death. And if he really repented for his sins and sincerely asked for God's forgiveness, he no doubt got it. That would probably be the only "deal" he could not manipulate on.

Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30455
07/06/05 02:07 PM
07/06/05 02:07 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
I think when it comes to the Vito, Michael, and the Catholic Church, the men looked to the church as more of a business or institution. Something to benefit from members practicing good policies, as it is designed.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Were Michael / Vito religious men? #30456
07/07/05 09:53 AM
07/07/05 09:53 AM
Virginia Beach
Don of Dons Offline
Wiseguy
Don of Dons  Offline
Wiseguy
Virginia Beach
Michael is less religious in his younger life, but if GF III is to be believed, he does seek redemption through the Church. Of course it is too little too late.
The pope tells him its never too late to confess your sins, no matter how deep they are.

thats not a quote either, im terrible with quoting

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull