GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Irishman12, Signor Vitelli, ovoturtle, 2 invisible), 210 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,947
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,654
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,543
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,487
Posts1,061,747
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30081
06/22/05 07:26 PM
06/22/05 07:26 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline OP
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline OP
Underboss
Was it because considering he had no education, it was the only way for him to make a lot of money?

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30082
06/22/05 07:54 PM
06/22/05 07:54 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
He didn't want to be another downtrodden immigrant, a slave of the dominant Anglo-Saxon white ruling class.

Having said that, from the account of Vito's rise to power given in the novel, it seems that he stumbled into the role of Mafia Don almost by accident - by the chance meeting with Clemenza, the incident with Fanucci and the decision to kill him rather than to pay him tribute. Then, Fanucci's old associates began to pay Vito without Vito having to do very much. From then on it was a snowball effect - he accumulated more "favours" and his reputation spread.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30083
06/22/05 08:08 PM
06/22/05 08:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I think that when Vito arrived in the United States, he sincerely set out to make a legitimate living, have a family, and live an honest life. But as things around him, out of his control, started to take shape... Fannuci shaking down Genco, Fannuci costing him his job, Fanucci shaking down his own people, Clemenza involving him with hiding the guns, etc. coupled with what he saw happen to his family when he was a kid in Italy, changed his attitude about taking the legitimate path and made him realize that he needed to do whatever had to be done to provide for and protect his family. Vito realized that no one was going to take care of him and his family, and that if he continued on the road of the straight and narrow, his life would be controlled by others, and he would be a puppet dancing on a string. Instead he chose to be the one controlling the strings, deciding his own destiny.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30084
06/22/05 10:42 PM
06/22/05 10:42 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
He didn't want to be another downtrodden immigrant, a slave of the dominant Anglo-Saxon white ruling class.

Having said that, from the account of Vito's rise to power given in the novel, it seems that he stumbled into the role of Mafia Don almost by accident - by the chance meeting with Clemenza, the incident with Fanucci and the decision to kill him rather than to pay him tribute.
That's about right. It seems as if Vito did fall into organized crime kind of by accident. There were two different types of people back then (as discussed in the story), those who pull the strings, and those who are pulled by the strings. Vito wanted to be stronger. Clipping Fanucci got him a reputation on the streets, and after a while, it just fit. He started playing up the role as Godfather and gradually became bigger in power and wealth.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30085
06/22/05 11:11 PM
06/22/05 11:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It is so interesting that neither the novel nor the movie makes any effort to show Vito being sponsored by another Mafioso. He kind of just decides on his own that he is going to be a Don which is not consistent with the way the Mafia works.

As I've posted elsewhere and as some have posted here, after Fanucci's attempted intimidation and with the haunting memories of Sicily in the back of his mind, he decided to make he and his family as invulnerable as possible.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30086
06/23/05 01:21 AM
06/23/05 01:21 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, the novel and the film portray Vito as having stumbled into the life of organized crime. This was a very effective device to give us a good feeling for the downtrodden life of Italian immigrants (as DC said) and Vito's determination to rise above it.
In real life, it would have been inconceivable that, in 1919 (when Vito kills Fanucci), New York's Little Italy would be such easy prey for a young upstart like Vito. GF shows Fanucci "running" the neighborhood essentially on his own, with just a "license" from a bigger Mafia boss. The novel has a scene in which, after the Fanucci killing, Clemenza calls on Vito and says, "Nobody is collecting" from the gambling, etc., that Fanucci shook down. So Vito steps into a vacuum. In real life, there would have been no vacuum--and no upstart like Vito.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30087
06/23/05 07:31 AM
06/23/05 07:31 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
This topic reminds me of how I really want to see a GF IV with flashbacks to the period 1927-1945.
At the end of the flashbacks in GF II, we see a man who has many influence and respect in his neighbourhood, and who has some man working for him (Pietro, Salvatore, Genco, ...).
But at the beginning of GF I, we see the same man heads the strongest maffia family of NY, controlling the gambling, the unions, having so many politicians in his pocket, having so many men working for him. A fully structurised family with buffers and everything else.

How? That's what I want to see.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30088
06/23/05 09:22 AM
06/23/05 09:22 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
This topic reminds me of how I really want to see a GF IV with flashbacks to the period 1927-1945.
At the end of the flashbacks in GF II, we see a man who has many influence and respect in his neighbourhood, and who has some man working for him (Pietro, Salvatore, Genco, ...).
But at the beginning of GF I, we see the same man heads the strongest maffia family of NY, controlling the gambling, the unions, having so many politicians in his pocket, having so many men working for him. A fully structurised family with buffers and everything else.

How? That's what I want to see.
That is what I thought The Godfather Returns would be about. Sadly, it was not.

Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30089
06/23/05 02:01 PM
06/23/05 02:01 PM
New York
leigh Offline
Wiseguy
leigh  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
I agree that Vito wanted to protect his family. I feel his adventure to America was to be a rebirth for him, a new beginning away from the Mafia, until he realized that they are just as powerful if not more in New York. There was no where else for him to go... as they say if you can't beat 'em join 'em... and boy did he join them

Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30090
06/23/05 02:51 PM
06/23/05 02:51 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Very good analysis!

Vito turned that phrase " If you can't beat em, join em" conmpletely around. He joined em and THEN he beat em! wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why was the mafia so appealing to Vito? #30091
06/23/05 07:22 PM
06/23/05 07:22 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline OP
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline OP
Underboss
Thanks for the replies everybody. Despite what dontomasso says, this board fucking rules!! cool

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull