GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 300 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,437
Posts1,060,986
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks #456263
12/08/07 12:55 AM
12/08/07 12:55 AM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
Top 10 ten lists are as inevitable as the annoying jackass who had her cellphone on extra loud and proceeded to speak even louder while I was watching Frank Darabont's adaption of Stephen King's THE MIST in the Bricktown AMC Theater. Dirty Harry once noted,"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one." Well, I've written, acted, and directed video's for 17 years and currently have been busy as heck on my youtube page. I've written and directed an indie film and acted in 3 others and am currently on my third year teaching Independent Filmmaking. That plus the fact I have loved movies since I was a kid and formed a small Entertainment company with 3 like minded friends still doesn't make me any more special than anybody else who writes a top 10 movie list. Movies are personal to people. Like books they help us enjoy, wonder, fear, understand, etc.....All this BS leads to the fact that sometimes the choosing of the list has more to do with the reviewer itself than the quality of films-Different things speak to different people but also sometimes our recommendations help others to choose and enjoy. Here's to everyone on this website who writes, informs, debates, and appreciates films, books, music, news, etc....
Hope you all have a great Holiday(Which ever one you celebrate)and a special shout out to the creator of this website-The man who was nice enough to document his visit to Redbank and supply pictures of Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes in SECRET STASH. Merry Merry and here's my top 10 gift to you all you can either enjoy and think about or simply throw away like that old fruitcake you get every year from some obscure family member. God Bless-:)

10)MR. BROOKS

A movie that didn't even crack 30 million at the box office boasts one of the best Kevin Costner performances. He's a man who seems to have it all but can't fight off his murderous urges nicely encapsulated by the witty William Hurt. There's also Dane Cook along the way as a slimy blackmailing photographer and Demi Moore as a strong and intelligent Detective with problems of her own. I pray this not only finds a home on DVD but that the two other parts to it are played out in the movie theater.

9)SUPERBAD

A comedy that will keep you laughing from start to finish is rare and welcome. Surprising, funny, and with real heart. You will really care about the two main characters and won't get enough of the crazy cops and McLovin.

8)THE MIST

Frank Darabont's study of fear doesn't just deal with the monsters we can see. Well adapted from the Stephen King short story as Darabont has done previously with THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE. Thomas Jane leads the strong cast and they all play it so realistically and without humor that you'll realize how great horror films can be when taken seriously. The ending is maddening and the true result of living in fear.

7)GONE BABY GONE

Ben Affleck's directorial debut is strong and boasts great performances from Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman, and the underused Casey Affleck. The ending is so well done that the audience will actually groan when the main character does the right and moral thing. Disturbing and thought provoking adaption of the Dennis LeHane novel.

6)SICKO

One of the most important films of the year that shows us how bad our Healthcare system is and several interesting facts about Healthcare in Europe and Canada. Moore's humor is appropriately played down a bit here and his trip to Cuba(Condemned by many) is a true display of patriotism.

5)3:10 TO YUMA

Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are riveting in this gritty western about Good and Bad and True heroism. Peter Fonda is memorable in a small role and Sam Foster steals the film as Crowe's loyal but brutal right hand man.

4)INTO THE WILD

Sean Penn's direction helps bring this true to life best seller to the screen with great landscapes and raw emotion. Hal Holbrook is wonderful as is Catherine Keener in supporting roles. Emile Hirsch is strong and effecting as the ill fated Christopher McCandliss.

3)ZODIAC

David Fincher's masterpiece about the Zodiac killings is creepy and boasts excellent performances from Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. Great supporting cast and Fincher's eye for detail makes it one of the best of the year.

2)NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

A violent film for our times beautifully directed by the Coen Brothers. The ending is abruptly unconventional and Brolin's quiet performance as a man who stole money from a drug deal gone south is strong, Javier Bardem is the most terrifying presence in a film in quite a long time, and Tommy Lee Jones adds nuance and regret as the sheriff. Woody Harrelson also does a nice job in a brief role as a rival bounty hunter.

1)IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH

This is the most gripping film of the year with Tommy Lee Jones giving the performance of his life as a former Military Policeman trying to find out who murdered his son after his return from Iraq. You'll rarely see acting this good and this real. It's rare to find real people in films these days. Jones seems to be living his character and not acting through him. Gut wrenching and painful with an ending shot that will haunt you.

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: a1] #456265
12/08/07 01:33 AM
12/08/07 01:33 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Interesting list a1. Unfortunately, I hadn't even heard of your #1 pick \:\( This year has been quite bad for me in terms of watching new movies.

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: svsg] #456266
12/08/07 01:50 AM
12/08/07 01:50 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I had the chance to catch a preview screening a few days ago in London of In the Valley of Elah, with a Q&A press conference with Paul Haggis afterwards. I'm not a fan of his at all, but would have still gone (it was all paid for), had I not been bogged down with an essay.

I wrote a feature for my university newspaper this week on the same issue this thread, but was a few films short of the usual lists, since UK release dates are unfortunate at best.

I've neglected a lot of films this year, and the only two I've seen on your list are Zodiac and Superbad (which I just watched now).

I'll post in full later (it's twenty to six in the morning here, I just finished watching two films), but for now, my Top Ten of 2007 (according to UK release date):

_1. Inland Empire (Lynch)
_2. Climates (Ceylan)
_3. Zodiac (Fincher)
_4. The Fountain (Aronofsky)
_5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Dominik)
_6. The Science of Sleep (Gondry)
_7. The Darjeeling Limited (Anderson)
_8. Knocked Up (Apatow)
_9. Ratatouille (Bird)
10. The Wedding (Smarzowski)

It's funny you should mention Casey Affleck in your Gone Baby Gone entry, a1, because for me, his performance in Jess James (as Robert Ford) is the best of the year, thus far.

Still can't wait for Coppola's Youth Without Youth, Reygadas's Sunlight, the Coens' No Country for Old Men, PT Anderson's There Will Be Blood and the film I'm most anticipating, I'm Not There.

Great year for US Cinema.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #456272
12/08/07 07:10 AM
12/08/07 07:10 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
MR. BROOKS? A1, how can you call Demi Moore intelligent? Her bullshit character and storyline is like a bad DTV movie that kills Costner/Hurt's REALLY good movie. Fuck that shit.

THE MIST? It tries, but it fails. That's what happens when your movie hinges on characters that are Stephen King-trademarked contrived and boring.

Other than that, its a good list. I'm seeing NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN today or wednesday.

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #456311
12/08/07 11:24 AM
12/08/07 11:24 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #456351
12/08/07 02:18 PM
12/08/07 02:18 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
Great List Capo de La Cosa Nostra-:)

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #456353
12/08/07 02:19 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
Enjoy No Country For Old Men ronnierocketAGO-:)

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: Don Cardi] #456354
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
Great Pic-Makes me hungry Don Cardi

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: a1] #456481
12/09/07 01:08 AM
12/09/07 01:08 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: A 2007 TOP 10 Movie List To All Gangster BB Folks [Re: a1] #456599
12/09/07 02:11 PM
12/09/07 02:11 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: a1
Great List Capo de La Cosa Nostra-:)

Oh I did.......