GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, CNote, Toodoped), 183 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,979
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago #446500
10/27/07 06:48 PM
10/27/07 06:48 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
‘Goodfella’ shoots straight on playing the bad guy
Frank Vincent once played Shore clubs with his band the Arist-O-Cats
BY DARREN DeBARI
Correspondent

Frank Vincent

You probably know Frank Vincent’s face quite well. But did you know actor, comedian, writer, producer and musician Frank Vincent is no stranger to the Jersey Shore area?

His performance as the taunting Billy Batts in "Goodfellas" has left an indelible mark in the minds of moviegoers — the character’s famous line "Go home and get your shine box" is currently being celebrated on VH1’s "I Love the ’90s."

But long before the days of the shine box, Frank Vincent could be seen wielding drumsticks in local clubs with the musical trio the Arist-O-Cats.

Vincent recently recalled gigs in Long Branch, Asbury Park and other local venues, as well as appearances at the VIP Lounge in Seaside Heights with friend Joe Pesci.

"We played there six nights a week from the Fourth of July to Labor Day. We had a comedy show called ‘Vincent and Pesci,’ " Vincent said.

Vincent visited the Shore again in December, when he spoke to Point Pleasant Boro High School students about his career and did a little acting with them. The students in Nick Gattuso’s Web design class created his Web site, http://www.FrankVincent.com. It features a wealth of information on his career and even sells Billy Batts t-shirts.

Vincent was born in North Adams, Mass., and raised in the Greenville section of Jersey City. He studied music at St. Paul’s grammar school, where he played the piano, trumpet and drums. He went on to work as a drummer with successful 1960s recording artists Don Costa, Paul Anka, Trini Lopez and The Belmonts.

Vincent got his big break with the 1975 film "Death Collector." Director Martin Scorsese watched it and decided to cast him as Salvi in "Raging Bull." From there he went on to act in more than 50 films, both big-budget and independent. He has also done a number of voice-overs, appeared in music videos and received the Lifetime Achievement Award in the 2002 Hoboken Film Festival.

Recently, he was seen as the angry and vengeful New York mobster Phil Leotardo in the latest season of "The Sopranos" on HBO. The Leotardo character exacerbated tensions between Mafia families in New York and New Jersey through a dispute with Anthony So-prano related to ownership of a New Egypt-area race track, and hospitalized a Soprano associate with a vicious beating using a golf club outside a Long Branch nightclub.

"America has a real romance with gangsters," Vincent said over a meal at Goodfellas restaurant in Garfield.

"The acting is tremendous," Vincent said of "The Sopranos," which takes place and is filmed chiefly in New Jersey. "It covers a lot of emotional territory from marriage to business. It’s also a story a lot of people can relate to."

Shooting begins in March 2005 for season six of "The Sopranos," and Vincent said the sinister Phil Leotardo will return.

"Gangsters are bad guys, but they have families. They’re just people," Vincent said of playing characters like Batts and Leotardo.

Vincent counts Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams among the actors he admires most. He said he doesn’t worry about being typecast, but chooses roles on the strength of the script and the arc of characters.

"People just do what they do," Vincent said. "Some have a wider range. I don’t think I’ll ever do Shakespeare."

Yet the role he still wants to play one day may be a surprise to fans of this goodfella — "I’d love to play a cowboy one day."

Vincent has several film projects lined up, including roles in "A Tale of Two Pizzas," "Remedy," voice-over work in the upcoming computer-animated "A Shark Tale," and appearances in VH1’s "I Love the ’90s: Part Deux" this fall. He’ll soon start shooting the movie "A License to Steal" with fellow cast members William Hurt, Michael Madsen and Frankie Valli. His card-playing expertise is also on display on an instructional poker video series called "Wiseguys on Texas Hold ’Em."

Re: My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago [Re: a1] #446503
10/27/07 07:46 PM
10/27/07 07:46 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
so the movie he is filming a licence to steal i take it its going to be a mob film because thats the only part he can play

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago [Re: chopper] #446661
10/28/07 09:30 PM
10/28/07 09:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Nicely written story, A1. \:\) Did you write it for the Asbury Park Press? (I'm a former Summit resident.)
His first movie, "The Death Collector" (which is also called "Family Enforcer") was pretty bad, but he was riotous looking in an Afro hairdo playing a Jewish businessman. Pesci was in that film, too. Pesci also has a musical background: he played guitar in a famous '60's Twist band, Joey Dee and the Starlighters. He also made a solo album, "Little Joe Sings."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago [Re: Turnbull] #446807
10/29/07 12:58 PM
10/29/07 12:58 PM
New Jersey
A
a1 Offline OP
Button
a1  Offline OP
A
Button
New Jersey
Thank You and I wrote the story for the Independent and it ended up in the Brick Bulletin and a few other Greater Media Papers-It was a lot of fun. Thanks for the extra info-I love hearing stuff about those guys-The idea of him in an Afro is hysterical-:)

Re: My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago [Re: a1] #446966
10/29/07 09:36 PM
10/29/07 09:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: a1
The idea of him in an Afro is hysterical-:)

If you think the idea is hysterical, wait till you see him in the movie. Just make sure you empty your bladder before viewing.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: My Frank Vincent Interview from a few years ago [Re: Turnbull] #447041
10/30/07 12:20 PM
10/30/07 12:20 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I have this movie on one of those $1 DVDs but it's so low budget I couldn't get very far in it

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull