GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MeyerLansky, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 886 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,930
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,616
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,467
Posts1,061,480
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just watched the Godfather Part II #28640
05/15/05 09:57 AM
05/15/05 09:57 AM
Canada
SlimTrashman Offline OP
Made Member
SlimTrashman  Offline OP
Made Member
Canada
I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to this film due to the fact that many of my friends say that this film is superior to the first Godfather. I found the Godfather Part II boring. Though the flashback's to Vito Corleone's past were a good watch, most of the events in Cuba and most of the Hyman Roth stuff was boring, boring, boring.

A huge problem I had with the Godfather Part II is that we are never really shown anything bad about Hyman Roth, just rumors. He's the antagonist of the film but I'm never really given a reason to hate him.

I found Michael V. Gazzo's [Frankie Pentangeli] performance simply out standing. I dont know why, but he's now up there as one of my favorite actors. Gastone Moschin [Don Fanucci] also gives us a brilliant performance even though he plays a very minor role. I couldnt even imagine a better person to play Fanucci, he looks exactly like I imagined while reading 'The Godfather'

The most emotinal experince I have ever had while watching a movie is seeing Frado Corleone cry as his father lay dying on the street at his sons feet. This emotional experince was rivaled [but not beat] when Frado finally has enough and begins to scream at his brother. The line "Im your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!" gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

So my Final rating.
The Godfather: 9.5/10
The Godfather Part II: 8/10
The Godfather Part III: I'll be watching it in a few weeks or so; when ever i get the chance.

I'm highly aticapating the godfather III to see if it's as bad as everyone says it is. I also really want to see Michaels scream at the end.

You go in alive and you come out dead
Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28641
05/15/05 10:05 AM
05/15/05 10:05 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Thats how i was,but then repeat viewing,it does grow on you smile Now it my fav film ever smile Apart from goodfellas

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28642
05/15/05 10:51 AM
05/15/05 10:51 AM
Canada
SlimTrashman Offline OP
Made Member
SlimTrashman  Offline OP
Made Member
Canada
I rewatched the final scene. Were the kids are sitting around the tabel in a flashback. There's something that I cant put my finger on. It's something sweet, yet akward about how they act around each other.

Also, watch John Cazale during this scene. The way he reacts and looks at each person is genius.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28643
05/15/05 11:32 AM
05/15/05 11:32 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by SlimTrashman:
I was disappointed. Though the flashback's to Vito Corleone's past were a good watch, most of the events in Cuba and most of the Hyman Roth stuff was boring, boring, boring.

The Godfather Part II: 8/10
confused You say that you were disapointed and that the Cuba stuff was boring, yet you gave it an 8 out of a 10 rating! I also suggest that you watch it over again as it is a very complex film, more so than GFI. There are many more twists, conspiracys and sub plots than GFI, but once you get the true meaning and understanding of them, you will also realize that GFII is a brilliant film. Don Geoff once pointed out to me that the GFII was better to watch in it's original form, than in chronological order. As he pointed out the reason being that there are many parallel plots between what Michael is going through and how they related to the flashback scenes of Vito and Michael's early life. I had always favored the GF Epic as it was in chronological order and felt that it was the "logocal" way to watch the GF movies. But after Don Geoff pointed the parallel storyline out to me, I went back and watched GFII in it original form, and Geoff was right! It was brilliantly written. If you felt bored and dissapointed I suggest that you watch GFII over again and pay close attention to the dialogue and plots regarding Michael, Roth, Fredo and Cuba. You will see the brilliant writing and get a better understanding of these plots the second time around. And as Geoff said, pay attention to what Michael is thinking and how it reverts back to his childhood and young Vito.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28644
05/15/05 12:00 PM
05/15/05 12:00 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to this film due to the fact that many of my friends say that this film is superior to the first Godfather. I found the Godfather Part II boring. Though the flashback's to Vito Corleone's past were a good watch, most of the events in Cuba and most of the Hyman Roth stuff was boring, boring, boring.

A huge problem I had with the Godfather Part II is that we are never really shown anything bad about Hyman Roth, just rumors. He's the antagonist of the film but I'm never really given a reason to hate him.

I found Michael V. Gazzo's [Frankie Pentangeli] performance simply out standing. I dont know why, but he's now up there as one of my favorite actors. Gastone Moschin [Don Fanucci] also gives us a brilliant performance even though he plays a very minor role. I couldnt even imagine a better person to play Fanucci, he looks exactly like I imagined while reading 'The Godfather'

The most emotinal experince I have ever had while watching a movie is seeing Frado Corleone cry as his father lay dying on the street at his sons feet. This emotional experince was rivaled [but not beat] when Frado finally has enough and begins to scream at his brother. The line "Im your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!" gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

I'm highly aticapating the godfather III to see if it's as bad as everyone says it is. I also really want to see Michaels scream at the end.
I like the first GF better than GFII, also. But I can't fathom how you would be disappointed by II. It is one of the most complex movies you'll see - two different storylines running simaltaneously. More deception than you can imagine. Roth's character was brilliant. He pulled many of the strings that created Michael's problems.

Even if one didn't like the flashback scenes, the Cuban scenes are some of the best of the Trilogy.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28645
05/15/05 12:17 PM
05/15/05 12:17 PM
Canada
SlimTrashman Offline OP
Made Member
SlimTrashman  Offline OP
Made Member
Canada
I was disapointed because many people say that it is better then the first movie. I felt that it wasnt, but i cant disagree that it is a good film.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28646
05/16/05 01:10 AM
05/16/05 01:10 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
If you understood the plot (almost) completely and still find the modern plot boring, well, it depends on your taste. Many (most?) people prefer the flashback scenes over the modern part, so you are not alone. On the other hand, I like the modern part better. But there is a possibility that you may not have understood the modern plot, which is the case with many first time viewers. So many "why" questions keep springing on these forum regarding the modern plot.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28647
05/16/05 02:45 AM
05/16/05 02:45 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I was disapointed because many people say that it is better then the first movie. I felt that it wasnt, but i cant disagree that it is a good film.
remember its not all about action smile

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28648
05/16/05 09:49 AM
05/16/05 09:49 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I strongly recommend second, third and fourth viewings to allow yourself to pick up on all the small details hidden within the plot. This is probably the most complex movie ever made. There are so many things going on, it's amazing. God lives in the details and the same is true in Godfather Part II.

I can understand being slightly disappointed thinking that Part II will be better than Part I because Part I to me is the best movie ever made, so you were expecting some pretty amazing things.

But rewatch... and if you haven't yet seen Part III, which is likely since this was the first time you've seen Part II, watch Part III, it will enhance your opinion of Part II. Not because the popular thought is that Part III sucks, because it doesn't, but because Part III puts a different spin on everything that happens before.

It wasn't until I saw Part III that my fate was sealed with these movies and they became my ultimate favorite movies. Part III sheds a lot of light on the first two movies. The same might happen for you too.

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28649
05/16/05 10:23 AM
05/16/05 10:23 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
I strongly recommend second, third and fourth viewings to allow yourself to pick up on all the small details hidden within the plot. This is probably the most complex movie ever made. ...
I completely agree !!

I'm still watching it 30 years after the original release! I saw it a few days after it got the Best Picture Oscar and walked out of the theater wondering what the heck I'd just watched. Still learning something new with each viewing all these years later!

Just when you think you have it all figured out...some new revelation emerges from a bit of dialogue that may have been previously overlooked!!

Give it a chance, man!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28650
05/16/05 10:27 AM
05/16/05 10:27 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The Godfather made cinematic history as one of the greatest movies of all time. I believe it was Pauline Kael who compared it to Gone With The Wind at the time. I certainly think it is right there with GWTW and Citizen Kane, and personally it is my all time favorite movie.

What is amazing about GFII is how great a film it is. No better sequel(it was also a "prequal') was ever made, and for that, the film deserves kudos. For whatever reason, when I began watching it on video and later on CD's I often found myself skipping through the flashbacks and concentrating on the story that follows Michael Corleone. I am long since over that, and now watch it in its entirety more times that I care to admit. The movie is multi-layered, and has so many details and intracacies I can honestly say that one cannot watch it without taking away something new each time.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28651
05/16/05 03:48 PM
05/16/05 03:48 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Most definitely the best sequel ever made in my humble opinion..

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28652
05/17/05 09:31 AM
05/17/05 09:31 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Part II was a good movie but it doesn't hold a candle to James Cameron's Pirahna II. wink orange

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28653
05/17/05 10:59 AM
05/17/05 10:59 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Part II was a good movie but it doesn't hold a candle to James Cameron's Pirahna II. wink orange
What? You are forgetting the Anaconda franchise

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28654
05/17/05 11:10 AM
05/17/05 11:10 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally posted by dontomasso:
[b] Part II was a good movie but it doesn't hold a candle to James Cameron's Pirahna II. wink orange
What? You are forgetting the Anaconda franchise [/b]
Or the coocon franchise orange

Re: Just watched the Godfather Part II #28655
05/18/05 09:06 PM
05/18/05 09:06 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline
Made Member
NY
yea i agree with the staement that the more you watch the film the more you will like it, this is wat happened to me

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull