GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,930
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,616
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,467
Posts1,061,482
Members10,349
Most Online998
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Favorite Pre 1950 gangster movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428194
08/22/07 05:57 PM
08/22/07 05:57 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: SC
As much as I would like to believe, everytime I watch that movie, that Rocky did it for Father Jerry, deep down I know that Rocky screamed because he was really scared.

Thats something we'll never agree on. Cagney would've spit in the executioner's eye but started to "freak out" as a final favor to his friend, Pat O'Brien. O'Brien knew it, too.

And for me, that's exactly why I think that Rocky really toined yella! Even Fatha Jerry figgered dat Rocky would neva toin yella, and when Rocky did freak out, Fatha Jerry figgered dat Rocky had done him da fava on a kind a dere childhood frienship.

But me tinks dat Rocky really toined yella at da very last moment!

;\)

I've always thought that Rocky "toined yella" for the sake of Father Jerry and the Kids. So here, I guess I'm in agreement with Olivant and SC. But, though I've seen the film a few times, it's been at least fifteen years since my last viewing. I'm definitely up for seeing this one again, so I'll be keeping an eye on the TCM listings.

Re: J. Carrol Naish. Don Cardi certainly knows his Universal horror films. Naish's portrayal of the tragic Daniel in House of Frankenstein (1944) was unusually sympathetic for this series. Very memorable. Naish was usually cast in a variety of ethnic roles, most of which would now be considered politically incorrect. A few off the top of my head: He was Italian in The Beast With Five Fingers (1946) and Life With Luigi (TV). He was Chinese in The Hatchet Man (1932) and Japanese in the first Batman serial (1943). He was Sitting Bull in Annie Get Your Gun (1950) and Sitting Bull (1954). I believe he was really of Irish descent - but I don't think he ever played Irish onscreen!

Speaking of gangster and horror films, does anyone remember an interesting film starring Boris Karloff called Black Friday (1940)? This one dealt with a partial brain transplant: Karloff transplants part of the brain of a dying gangster into his dying friend, a college professor who was mortally wounded after being accidentally shot by the thug. The professor recovers, but becomes a Jekyll/Hyde character alternating between kindly Professor Kingsley and ruthless killer Red Cannon - complete with physical transformation (!). Now-forgotten character actor Stanley Ridges played the dual role. Interesting and fun - if you don't take it too seriously. Bela Lugosi also had a supporting role as a rival mob boss.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite Pre 1950 gangster movies [Re: Signor Vitelli] #428292
08/23/07 09:41 AM
08/23/07 09:41 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

[Re: J. Carrol Naish. Life With Luigi (TV).

Speaking of gangster and horror films, does anyone remember an interesting film starring Boris Karloff called Black Friday (1940)?

Was his character in Life With Luigi named Luigi Bosco?

I do remember Black Friday.

I don't want to turn this into a Horror movie topic, so I've taken the liberty to start a FAVORITE PRE 1970 HORROR MOVIES topic over in the General Discussion Thread.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Favorite Pre 1950 gangster movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428301
08/23/07 09:57 AM
08/23/07 09:57 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I've gotta go with Angels with Dirty Faces. I saw it for the first time about 6 months ago on TCM On Demand. It's a timeless tale, and I don't think it's been told any better than in that film. I literally went back and watched it again as soon as the credits rolled. Cagney was mesmerizing.

As for the ending...I'm kinda torn. I wanna say he literally broke down at the end and was legitimately afraid of death, but my gut tells me he did it as a final favor to the father, for the kids. But I'm not 100% confident on either scenario.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Favorite Pre 1950 gangster movies [Re: Don Cardi] #428348
08/23/07 01:06 PM
08/23/07 01:06 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

[Re: J. Carrol Naish. Life With Luigi (TV).

Was his character in Life With Luigi named Luigi Bosco?

According to the IMDb, the family's name was Basco.

Interesting thing I wasn't aware of: When Life With Luigi returned for its second (and final) season in 1953, the entire cast had changed. Luigi was now played by Vito Scotti - better known as Nazorine the baker in The Godfather.

Some episodes from this show are available through public-domain video vendors.

Anyway...

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite Pre 1950 gangster movies [Re: Don Cardi] #430898
09/03/07 04:55 AM
09/03/07 04:55 AM
james_cagney Offline
Wiseguy
james_cagney  Offline
Wiseguy
I haven't posted in a while, but here's some of my fav early gangster films:

Scarface (1932)
White Heat
Little Caesar
Roaring Twenties
Angels with Dirty Faces
San Quentin
The Public Enemy
Each Dawn I Die
Bullets or Ballots

I've read around that there were outcries against the Warner Bros. gangster movies of the 1930's, apparently that they "glorified" criminals. IMO, that was a ludicrous protest. The films did not "glorify" anyone, they simply gave you an insight into life in the underworld. The films depicted how gangsters lived, not to go out and shoot people with a Tommy gun. Any comments on this?

Last edited by james_cagney; 09/03/07 04:56 AM.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again." - Jame Gumb, The Silence of the Lambs.

"I'm sick of carrying guns and beating up women."- James Cagney
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull