GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Toodoped, Dwalin2011, m2w, 2 invisible), 598 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,959
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,666
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,488
Posts1,061,797
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Missing scene from GF 1? #422061
08/05/07 11:02 AM
08/05/07 11:02 AM
S
Snj261 Offline OP
Associate
Snj261  Offline OP
S
Associate
There’s a scene that I thought I had seen at one point where Vito says to Michael “It looks like you found your Luca Brasi." I think it took place after the meeting when Tessio and Clemenza are complaining about Barzini and Tom is demoted. I recently got the Godfather DVD collection which has a disk with a lot of cut scenes, but I didn’t see that part. Does anyone else remember such a scene?

The other part of that scene that’s always intrigued me is how Vito congratulates Carlo. At the wedding Vito clearly says to Tom, to give him a living but never discuss the family business with him. I’ve always thought that his change of attitude in congratulating Carlo for becoming Michael’s “Right hand man”, meant that he was going along with the plan of fooling Carlo into thinking that they weren’t on to his betrayal of Sonny. Since he seemed to know that Carlo was a dirt bag right at the start, I wonder why he let Connie marry him in the first place?

Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: Snj261] #422087
08/05/07 01:55 PM
08/05/07 01:55 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
 Originally Posted By: Snj261
There’s a scene that I thought I had seen at one point where Vito says to Michael “It looks like you found your Luca Brasi." I think it took place after the meeting when Tessio and Clemenza are complaining about Barzini and Tom is demoted. I recently got the Godfather DVD collection which has a disk with a lot of cut scenes, but I didn’t see that part. Does anyone else remember such a scene?

Welcome to the boards!

This scene appears in the Godfather Saga, which has been airing frequently on AMC and Bravo this summer. I wish it were on the extras disk of the "Godfather Trilogy" DVD.

Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: goombah] #422091
08/05/07 02:20 PM
08/05/07 02:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, SNJ! \:\)
The "you've found your Luca Brasi" scene that you're referring to appears in the novel. Hagen, not Vito, made that statement to Michael. Much as I don't like to disagree with my friend Goombah, I don't recall it in the Saga.

The question of why Vito didn't prevent Connie from marrying Carlo has come up many times on this board. Carlo certainly was a dirtbag From Da Woid Go, and Vito obviously saw through him. For all we know, Vito did remonstrate with Connie, but perhaps out of sentiment for his youngest child, and maybe to avoid domestic discord, he stopped short of forbidding her to marry him. Or, he may have taken the attitude that it was her decision to make--and she'd have to be responsible for the consequences (as in Vito telling Sonny, "Never interfere between a man and his wife"). Michael seems to have adopted a form of that attitude toward Connie. It might seem horrendously cruel and cynical for Michael to have Carlo whacked on the very day that he stood godfather to Connie and Carlo's infant son. But in the novel (and partly in the film) he rationalized it by saying it wasn't his idea to be godfather--it was Connie's idea. And how about murdering Fredo? Well, it wasn't his idea to "forgive" Fredo--it was Connie's request. Or, as Flip Wilson used to say on TV, "the devil made me do it." ;\)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: Turnbull] #422169
08/05/07 08:22 PM
08/05/07 08:22 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The "you've found your Luca Brasi" scene that you're referring to appears in the novel. Hagen, not Vito, made that statement to Michael. Much as I don't like to disagree with my friend Goombah, I don't recall it in the Saga.

Perhaps I'm not correct about it being in the Saga, but that scene is in one I dvr'd Bravo this year. I believe it was referred to as the "Novella," but how much that differs from the Saga I could not state.

On a side note, one scene from the novel that I never understood why it wasn't filmed was the scene in which Sonny proposed to kill Sollozzo and Sonny laughs uncontrollably. In the novel, Mike confronts Sonny and tells him to stop laughing, thus reminding everyone in the room of the similarity b/w Michael & Vito. Sonny explains "I'm not laughing at what you said, but how things turned out...All it took was a sock to the jaw. Howdaya like that?" I always felt that this scene would have added to the film.

Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: goombah] #422205
08/05/07 10:33 PM
08/05/07 10:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
That scene was filmed and shown. But it is Clemenza that starts laughing at Mike's bravado. In fact, I think the film version is superior to the novel version because it works. I always thought the novel version was a bit of a stretch.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: goombah] #422436
08/06/07 02:24 PM
08/06/07 02:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: goombah

Perhaps I'm not correct about it being in the Saga, but that scene is in one I dvr'd Bravo this year. I believe it was referred to as the "Novella," but how much that differs from the Saga I could not state.

I've lost track of how many versions of the films have been made and shown--and that doesn't even include the overseas versions.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: Turnbull] #422947
08/07/07 07:47 PM
08/07/07 07:47 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

TB, I'd hate to challenge you on anything GODFATHER, but I too recall Vito saying to Michael, "I think you found your Luca Brasi." Perhaps it was in THE GODFATHER EPIC, which was released on vhs in the early 80's. I believe I still have mine in one of my storage units. I'll be sure to check.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: pizzaboy] #422963
08/07/07 07:59 PM
08/07/07 07:59 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

TB, I'd hate to challenge you on anything GODFATHER, but I too recall Vito saying to Michael, "I think you found your Luca Brasi." Perhaps it was in THE GODFATHER EPIC, which was released on vhs in the early 80's. I believe I still have mine in one of my storage units. I'll be sure to check.

"Well now you've got your Luca." It was Hagen who said it in the novel. I don't recall it in any version of he film.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Missing scene from GF 1? [Re: olivant] #425659
08/12/07 11:09 PM
08/12/07 11:09 PM
pgh., pa
Guiseppe Petri Offline
. 45 caliber
Guiseppe Petri  Offline
. 45 caliber
Made Member
pgh., pa
vito was referring to neri as mike's luca brasi.

Guiseppe Petri

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull