GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, irishkaos), 633 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,553
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,534
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,454
Posts1,061,232
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What made Godfather 3 weak! #5738
12/11/03 02:58 PM
12/11/03 02:58 PM
Boston
Don'tForgetTheCannolis Offline OP
Made Member
Don'tForgetTheCannolis  Offline OP
Made Member
Boston
I love all the godfather movies but the problem with godfather 3 is simple. Connie, Connie Connie Connie. She ruined it for me. How could she go from someone who couldn't even come to terms with the fact that Carlo helped set up her own brother. To being able to be invovled in all the intimate details of the family business. Where does she get off saying Vincent is the only one left with her fathers strength. She knows nothing about it. I feel that FFC let his family have to much of a say in the movie and put that before quality of the film. Let me know what you all think. I still love the man for what he has given all of us.

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5739
12/11/03 03:33 PM
12/11/03 03:33 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
Im not a huge fan of Part3, but can anyone tell me if it follows Mario Puzo's book, or did FFC alter the story for the movie.

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5740
12/11/03 06:17 PM
12/11/03 06:17 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
part III didn't follow the novel of Mario Puzo, and people say he wasn't involved in the film at all unlike he worked with Francis for Part 1 and 2.

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5741
12/12/03 07:50 PM
12/12/03 07:50 PM
Chilltown Offline
Made Member
Chilltown  Offline
Made Member
couldn't disagree more about connie/talia shire. many articles, entertainment weekly esp., hailed the character/performance as being the BEST thing about the movie and the performance of a life time by shire. i actually still have that very article. they gave the movie an "A" btw.

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5742
12/13/03 04:32 AM
12/13/03 04:32 AM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
i think it was a great movie

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5743
12/13/03 03:13 PM
12/13/03 03:13 PM
Boston
Made Member
Made Member
Boston
I love all the godfather movies

Was that not clear to you two. I never said it was a bad movie all i was saying was that having Connie involved in the family business the way she did wasn't at all like the previous two. In no part of the Corleone Empire was a women ever involved and never should it be. Don't you guys remember in Godfather II when Clemenza throws Vito the guns and asks him to hide them. What is the first thing Vito does....? He closes the door to his wife b/c he knows its no place for a women to know his business. I simply felt the by having connie involved was showing weakness in the family that wasn't needed. I'd also like to add that i really like Talia Shire and i think her performance in the movie was very good. However she never should have been that intimatly involved in the Family business.

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5744
12/13/03 09:10 PM
12/13/03 09:10 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
lol eek Connie ruined it for you? Oh dear, I think you're the first person I've heard say that. I hope you realise the implications of what you posted: that Connie is rated higher than the casting of Sophia Coppola as Mary Corleone, the incestuous subplot between Vince and Mary, the whole undigestable plot of the Immobilaire takeover, the other weak casting decisions, and the fact that it was made so long after the previous two, as the biggest problem for Part III's lack of credibility compared to Parts I and II. Hmmm... eek rolleyes

You think Connie's involvement was unrealistic? Well, what would you say if I, just to counter that, said Michael's involvement was unrealistic? He was an Ivy League college boy, that innocent son sitting with his girlfriend in the corner of the wedding ceremony, avoiding those he knew to be Mafiosi. How could he head the most powerful of the Five Families of New York? The answer is he couldn't have.

I am exaggerating my opinion of course, to prove a point: that Connie's involvement wasn't unrealistic. The whole attractiveness of the Trilogy is seeing how each character develops, and they all do in their own way. Each character has their own journey, from Tom to Mike to Frankie to Kay to Connie. And IMO, each one is just as realistic as the next--very! smile

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5745
12/13/03 09:22 PM
12/13/03 09:22 PM
Chilltown Offline
Made Member
Chilltown  Offline
Made Member
very well put Capo-and as a backup to my previous post, since i flat out refuse to respond to that PM, you see Talia's performance was exactly what made Connie's involvement believable. Nearly all of what goes on in the Trilogy is unrealistic and it depends on the actors to make the movie accessable. Shire was solid as a rock in her performance, thus it transended into the Connie character being successfully turned into the Mafia Lady Macbeth.
Anyone else bored to tears with the "GFIII was.." topics? NEXT!

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5746
12/14/03 11:28 AM
12/14/03 11:28 AM
Boston
Made Member
Made Member
Boston
FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT SAYING TALIA SHIRES PERFORMANCE WAS WEAK!!!!!!!! I SIMPLY THOUGHT THAT HAVING HER GO FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER WAS BAD FOR THE MOVIE LET ME EXPLAIN PIECE BY PIECE SO ALL YOU OF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN:

GODFATHER I: CONNIE GETS MARRIED, AND CAN'T EVEN COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT CARLO SET UP SANTINO.

GODFATHER II: CONNIE IS FLYING AROUND THE WORLD WITH MEN WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT HER AND DOESN'T EVEN SEE HER KIDS. HER OLDEST SON VICTOR GETTING ARRESTED. REAL GOOD SENSE OF FAMILY RIGHT THERE SHE DEFFINTLY KNOWS WHATS GOING ON. I AGREED WITH THIS B/C SHE DID LOSE HER HUSBAND IN THE FIRST ONE.

GODFATHER III: ALL OF A SUDDEN CONNIE SEES EVERYTHING THE WAY MICHAEL DOES. NOT ONLY THAT BUT SHE SEES HER FATHER IN VINCENT. AND ON TOP OF THAT SHE ACCEPTS THE FACT THAT FREDO HAD TO BE KILLED BUT BEFORE SHE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW HER HUSBAND WHO BEAT AND CHEATED ON HER COULD BE MURDERED.

-THIS IS IN NO WAY SAYING SHE IS A BAD ACTRESS IN THE MOVIES!!!!!!! I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH!!!!
mad

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5747
12/14/03 06:06 PM
12/14/03 06:06 PM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
calm down son, calm down

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5748
12/14/03 07:11 PM
12/14/03 07:11 PM
Boston
Made Member
Made Member
Boston
actually i'm very calm, i was trying to stress the point that i wasn't commenting on her performance. I said it two times before but people seem to keep bringing it up.

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5749
12/14/03 07:14 PM
12/14/03 07:14 PM
Boston
Made Member
Made Member
Boston
I would also like to post what in my mind made the film weak too. Whats with Michael Corleones hair in the 3rd one. He goes from slick and tight to something of a 70's flat top. Anyone else see this. NOTE TO CHILLTOWN: I'm not talking about Al Pacinos acting in this movie. LOL lol

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5750
12/16/03 03:49 PM
12/16/03 03:49 PM
Washington, DC
Valadius Offline
Capo
Valadius  Offline
Capo
Washington, DC
Godfather III was weak because there was no Tom Hagen.

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5751
12/16/03 05:36 PM
12/16/03 05:36 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally posted by Don'tForgetTheCannolis:
FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT SAYING TALIA SHIRES PERFORMANCE WAS WEAK!!!!!!!! I SIMPLY THOUGHT THAT HAVING HER GO FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER WAS BAD FOR THE MOVIE LET ME EXPLAIN PIECE BY PIECE SO ALL YOU OF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN:

GODFATHER I: CONNIE GETS MARRIED, AND CAN'T EVEN COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT CARLO SET UP SANTINO.

GODFATHER II: CONNIE IS FLYING AROUND THE WORLD WITH MEN WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT HER AND DOESN'T EVEN SEE HER KIDS. HER OLDEST SON VICTOR GETTING ARRESTED. REAL GOOD SENSE OF FAMILY RIGHT THERE SHE DEFFINTLY KNOWS WHATS GOING ON. I AGREED WITH THIS B/C SHE DID LOSE HER HUSBAND IN THE FIRST ONE.

GODFATHER III: ALL OF A SUDDEN CONNIE SEES EVERYTHING THE WAY MICHAEL DOES. NOT ONLY THAT BUT SHE SEES HER FATHER IN VINCENT. AND ON TOP OF THAT SHE ACCEPTS THE FACT THAT FREDO HAD TO BE KILLED BUT BEFORE SHE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW HER HUSBAND WHO BEAT AND CHEATED ON HER COULD BE MURDERED.

-THIS IS IN NO WAY SAYING SHE IS A BAD ACTRESS IN THE MOVIES!!!!!!! I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH!!!!
mad
Did you even read my post? I know what you meant, that's why I commented on her character's involvement, not Shire's performance. If you didn't read my post, which I suspect you didn't, then read it and it will answer what I have just quoted from you. grin

Mick

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5752
12/16/03 09:15 PM
12/16/03 09:15 PM
Boston
Made Member
Made Member
Boston
There is no wrong or right in determining what was wrong with Godfather III except for that fact that there was a lot. To tell me i'm wrong for my opinion is stupid and being immature on your part for there is no wrong opinion. And if i think Connies performance sucked and ruined the movie for me there is nothing you can do or say that will prove other wise.

"Take it easy"
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5753
12/16/03 09:56 PM
12/16/03 09:56 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Allow me to put my 2 cents in this debate. I found Connies transformation sort of odd in GFIII. As it was explained before, her personality did a complete 180 degree from the previous 2 films. I wouldn't put the whole blame on this, for the, shall we say, the disapointment of the film to many people.

Mike's hair? I thought it was the on saving factor. That style was very common in that time period, and I dont think out of line. cool

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5754
12/17/03 05:27 PM
12/17/03 05:27 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally posted by Don'tForgetTheCannolis:
There is no wrong or right in determining what was wrong with Godfather III except for that fact that there was a lot. To tell me i'm wrong for my opinion is stupid and being immature on your part for there is no wrong opinion. And if i think Connies performance sucked and ruined the movie for me there is nothing you can do or say that will prove other wise.
DFTC, I must ask: why post this and send it to me via PM? confused

When did I ever say your opinion was "wrong?" Yes, I said Connie's characterisation wasn't unrealistic, but that too is just an opinion--like everything else regarding open topics The Godfather.

Mick

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5755
12/18/03 12:38 AM
12/18/03 12:38 AM
The sub-tropics
Benchgod Offline
Wiseguy
Benchgod  Offline
Wiseguy
The sub-tropics
Connie, Connie, Connie........I think she was a better Adrian.

Actually, I think the transition of Connie from GF1, through GF2, right into III was not only remarkable but realistic as well.

She started out basically as the sheltered daughter of a powerful man (Don Vito)never having to lift a finger to do anything at all in her life and progressed to the battered wife of a weak man who felt he was being slighted, thereby taking out his aggressions on his spouse.

Through this experience, once she was able to come to terms with the facts about Carlo, Connie became very attached to Brother Michael and learned a great deal about the family business and grew strong through her relationship with Don Mike.

You might say that Connie "grew up" to a certain extent, at a later age than most.

However, the one flaw which I present to myself is this......while she did indeed grow, her basic character trait remained throughout. She spent her entire life living "under the thumb" of a dominant male.

"Someday and that day may never come, I will call upon you to perform a service for me.But until that day, accept this as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."

Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5756
12/20/03 02:43 PM
12/20/03 02:43 PM
wes2k3 Offline
Wiseguy
wes2k3  Offline
Wiseguy
Well put BG.

"I forget nothin'."
- Tony Soprano
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5757
12/21/03 12:43 AM
12/21/03 12:43 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Ill Tell You Why GFIII was weak.

It Was Just Shit. Good Acting but Acting cant help some other shitty actors (YES YOU SOFIA COPPOLA) and a shitty story.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: What made Godfather 3 weak! #5758
12/21/03 01:07 AM
12/21/03 01:07 AM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
ok. canoli has a point. u name me an instant in the first two where any of the female cheracters have any knowledge of what is going on? come on? anybody? well the reason that my question can't be answer is cause it never happens. kay in the first two doesn't interfere, even though she tries to get things out of mike. mama corleone doesn't get involved. so i agree with canoli. what does she descide out of the blue one day that she is gonna wanna try and have some importance in the "family." as if she would know anything about her father or mike. i find it rediculas when she says to vinny "u are the only one in this family with my fathers strength but what did she really know about her father's strength? no much accept that he brought him the money, and the occasionally he got shot. she hated her brother, and only came to forgive him because she probably was tired of running around with men. but by no means would she help him out or try and involve herself in his buisness. it is not italian like. or godfather movie like. besides why would a widow try and partake in buisness' that her murdered husband was a part of? ohwell

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull