GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Havana), 413 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,979
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Oh that's Pop talking" #401268
06/12/07 09:25 PM
06/12/07 09:25 PM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
When Sonny and Michael have their little tif when Sonny finds out that Michael enlisted....

Sonny says "your country aint your blood".... Michael says "Oh that's Pop talking" - - Michael obviously disagreed then... how about later on? and what was that all about anyway? Vito/Sonny's view on it and then Michaels?

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: ScarFather] #401275
06/12/07 09:30 PM
06/12/07 09:30 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I think Michael still would have thought along the same lines as he did when he enlisted.He was proud of the fact that he served his country.Of course Michael wanted to be like his father when he took over the family.But that dosent mean he had to agree with everything his father thought.

And while on that topic was that scene intended for part one?Or did they shoot it knowing they were going to make a squel and they wanted it at the end?

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: whisper] #401445
06/13/07 03:17 AM
06/13/07 03:17 AM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
That scene was shot in PART II. Jimmy Caan was especially asked back for one day of shooting. He was also paid the same amount of money as in PART I.

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: ScarFather] #401499
06/13/07 12:00 PM
06/13/07 12:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather
When Sonny and Michael have their little tif when Sonny finds out that Michael enlisted....

Sonny says "your country aint your blood".... Michael says "Oh that's Pop talking" - - Michael obviously disagreed then... how about later on? and what was that all about anyway? Vito/Sonny's view on it and then Michaels?

The flashback was intended to underscore Michael's indepenence from--total rejection of--his family's values. Joining the Marines was his "declaration of independence." Vito considered himself to be a power unto himself. The novel states that Vito got the idea that he ran his world better than the politicians ran theirs. When men in his family joined the armed forces in WWII because they said, "America has been good to me," Vito replied, "I have been good to them."

Did Michael adopt that attitude later on? I think not. Vito accepted himself for what he was. Michael was obsessed with legitimizing himself. He reached out much more to the outside world than Vito did. They were both criminals, but Vito accepted that he played by rules that society didn't validate. Michael wanted to be "legitimate"--but by forcing society to accept that he was "legitimate" simply because his criminal behavior was, in his mind, no different than that of the pezzanovanti's of politics, the church, etc. That difference in attitude was the major reason why Vito succeeded and Michael failed.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: Turnbull] #401501
06/13/07 12:03 PM
06/13/07 12:03 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
It is another great piece of acting by Pacino....Sonny challenges him about fighting for strangers, and when pushed he is almost fearful of Sonny, yet still convinced he is right that it is a noble thing to fight for "your country."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: dontomasso] #401657
06/13/07 10:41 PM
06/13/07 10:41 PM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The flashback was intended to underscore Michael's indepenence from--total rejection of--his family's values. Joining the Marines was his "declaration of independence." [/quote

Interesting. Almost rebel-like? Just for the sake of going AGAINST?? or was it his belief at the time?

In the future how do we know which way Michael thought...after becoming Don and in his future years? What examples?

[quote=dontomasso]It is another great piece of acting by Pacino....Sonny challenges him about fighting for strangers, and when pushed he is almost fearful of Sonny, yet still convinced he is right that it is a noble thing to fight for "your country."

I didnt take it as being fearful... it looked like he just wanted Sonny to back off and leave him alone.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: ScarFather] #401727
06/14/07 08:52 AM
06/14/07 08:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Interstingly, in the novel, there is a passage in the part where Vito scolds Johnny Fontaine for not being a man ( more detailed than the movie).

And in that passage Vito is thinking to himself that if he had scolded any of his son's in the same manner, Sonny would have sulked for weeks and went and did something rash, Fredo would have become silent and withdrawn, and Michael would have defied him and went off and would not have been seen by the family for a while. (I'm paraphrasing here).

I think that sums up the kind of person Michael really was. A man with his own mind who would not allow anyone to dictate to him what he should do or not do with his life. A person that would try to control his own destiny and not allow anyone else to choose it for him.

Sounds like the apple really didn't fall far from the tree after all. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: Don Cardi] #401731
06/14/07 09:11 AM
06/14/07 09:11 AM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Interstingly, in the novel, there is a passage in the part where Vito scolds Johnny Fontaine for not being a man ( more detailed than the movie).

And in that passage Vito is thinking to himself that if he had scolded any of his son's in the same manner, Sonny would have sulked for weeks and went and did something rash, Fredo would have become silent and withdrawn, and Michael would have defied him and went off and would not have been seen by the family for a while. (I'm paraphrasing here).

I think that sums up the kind of person Michael really was. A man with his own mind who would not allow anyone to dictate to him what he should do or not do with his life. A person that would try to control his own destiny and not allow anyone else to choose it for him.

Sounds like the apple really didn't fall far from the tree after all. ;\)

Good stuff... but... Michael did that anyway(joined the military).... any conversation with Vito sent him in an opposite direction.(Rebel-Rebel).... I think that AFTER he becomes head of family that Michael would have listened to ALL Vito had to say and would have taken ALL of it in some sort of "constructive" way

Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: ScarFather] #401753
06/14/07 11:10 AM
06/14/07 11:10 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
We're talking 'before', not after. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Oh that's Pop talking" [Re: Don Cardi] #401806
06/14/07 02:08 PM
06/14/07 02:08 PM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
We're talking 'before', not after. ;\)

Actually if you read the thread I started I am refering to and "asking" about BOTH before and after. Thanks.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull