GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Liggio), 663 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,671
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,492
Posts1,061,852
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? #399851
06/10/07 04:24 AM
06/10/07 04:24 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Question about THE GODFATHER SAGA, aka THE GODFATHER: THE COMPLETE NOVEL FOR TELEVISION to everyone.

What is your critical opinion of it? Does it work or is there flaws to it?

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #399852
06/10/07 07:20 AM
06/10/07 07:20 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Although it's all nice and neat to have everything in chronological order, one of the best things about GF2 were the flashbacks. To contrast Vito's rise to power with Michael's crumbling life as his greed for power overtakes him, was just wonderful to watch. And to have those scenes taken out of order ruins it for me.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I won't watch it when it's on!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399870
06/10/07 08:56 AM
06/10/07 08:56 AM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Yep the contrast of vito and mike is very important to the movies and the saga, well it doesnt reinforce the fall mike is going to take.

Last edited by Zaf-the-don; 06/10/07 08:57 AM.
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #399873
06/10/07 09:14 AM
06/10/07 09:14 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
There is absolutely no question that GFII was made to be watched with the flashback scenes that parallel Vito's early life and rise to power with what is going on in Michael's life. It's just brilliant in that form. It was meant to and should be watched in that way.

But there are times that I do enjoy just watching the Michael and Roth's chess match in GFII, on it's own, without the interuptions of the flashbacks.

I do not see any flaws in the Saga. In fact I think that several of the deleted scenes in the Saga are an integral part of the plot that should never have been edited out of the original theatrical versions of The Trilogy. And with the Saga, I believe that for the first or second time viewer who is really not that familiar with the GF plot and storyline, it has a much smoother flow to it which makes it easier for them to comprehend.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Don Cardi] #399881
06/10/07 10:44 AM
06/10/07 10:44 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The "Saga" version is far and away the best, IMO. I vastly prefer the chronological order to the flashbacks. And all of the deleted scenes, included where they belong in the Saga, are brilliant, and add to the enjoyment.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Turnbull] #400486
06/11/07 10:15 AM
06/11/07 10:15 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I've never seen the complete saga although I am ready to watch the films again and would like to watch the saga this time. Anyone know when it will be on DVD???

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #400569
06/11/07 01:52 PM
06/11/07 01:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I don't think there's been a date set yet. But we can all rest assured that, if there's a way for Paramount to get us to spring for another GF Trilogy set, they'll find it. \:p

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Turnbull] #400571
06/11/07 01:57 PM
06/11/07 01:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I remember spending $200 on THE GODFATHER EPIC on VHS in the 80's. When I realized that all of the SAGA scenes were NOT in it, I went ballistic.

Frigging Paramount.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: pizzaboy] #400579
06/11/07 02:19 PM
06/11/07 02:19 PM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
Even the Trilogy set, from what I gather, doesn't have all the scenes - Michael and Vito's talk in the garden following the Five Families meeting, isn't there according Jeoff.

Anyway, perhaps one can re-edit the whole thing from the deleted scenes. Who knows?

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: pizzaboy] #400615
06/11/07 03:13 PM
06/11/07 03:13 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I remember spending $200 on THE GODFATHER EPIC on VHS in the 80's. When I realized that all of the SAGA scenes were NOT in it, I went ballistic.

Frigging Paramount.

I can understand why. That set was the first crack any of us had at GF on tape--and we paid dearly. But it had only about half the deleted scenes. And then, in '83, NBC showed the Saga on commercial TV with all the deleted scenes. That's when and why I bought my first VCR.

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Turnbull] #401964
06/14/07 04:16 PM
06/14/07 04:16 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World

A separate DVD for deleted scenes is not my cup of tea. The Saga is the closest you get to perfection in the GF world.

Now, your question regarding flaws :

No major flaw, but the violence is toned down...

- Sonny says "stick in his hand" and not "dick in his hands"

- Young Vito doesnt shoot the extra bullet through Fanucci's mouth.

- Sonny doesnt get the close range final "treatment" from one of the hitmen...just the bullets to the car.

- No close-up when Young Vito "slices" Don Ciccio

And all the screen-texts are missing too...

well nothing is perfect, but the SAGA is still the most "complete" version of 1 and 2. There are some scenes in the SAGA that never made it to the DVD.

FFC also made some changes / corrections in the order of some scenes too (besides the regular chronological timeline)

I actually started with the saga, and I watched it 20 times before I saw the original films, so its easier for me to prefer the saga. I first saw the saga not knowing that Im watching a rare version with lots of deleted scenes, so then when I saw the originals, I kinda felt like "where the hell is this and that great scene"... I gotta tell you, its not the chronological order which made me love it more- its the inclusion of all those scenes, it just feels wrong to see them seperated with that extra DVD.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Turnbull] #401974
06/14/07 04:27 PM
06/14/07 04:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Frigging Paramount.

I can understand why. That set was the first crack any of us had at GF on tape--and we paid dearly. But it had only about half the deleted scenes. And then, in '83, NBC showed the Saga on commercial TV with all the deleted scenes. That's when and why I bought my first VCR.

TB, are you speaking of the August of '83 showing? If you are, it's a small world.

That's when I switched from beta to vhs, for the very purpose of having the Saga on vhs.

God I feel old.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Don Cardi] #402160
06/14/07 05:43 PM
06/14/07 05:43 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
There is absolutely no question that GFII was made to be watched with the flashback scenes that parallel Vito's early life and rise to power with what is going on in Michael's life. It's just brilliant in that form. It was meant to and should be watched in that way.

Huh???

They didnt think they were gonna make a GF2 right?.... it may have been planned that way AFTER(flashbacks)... it was a nice twist in writing and bringing it to the screen... GF2 is a great movie as a standalone without the flashbacks. IMO.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: ScarFather] #402185
06/14/07 06:17 PM
06/14/07 06:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Without the flashbacks you'd never gain insight into what Michael's flaws were, both as a don and as a man.

By paralleling his story with Vito's, while they were approximately the same age, the tragedy that was Michael's life is magnified ten fold. It shows us how he could never be the man his father was because he lacked his humanity.

There's no comparison. While a little Godfather 2 is better than none at all, the film was made to be watched in the flashback format.

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: pizzaboy] #402540
06/15/07 12:43 PM
06/15/07 12:43 PM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
I dunno, I wouldn't feel bad about it. I consider the Michael story in GFII the continuation to GFI, and the Vito parts as prologue, really.

If you copied the Michael story in GFI, and left it like that, it'd be the same for me - this the story of Michael Corleone. The Young Vito is extra, provided in the book for more insight of the Corleone empire, and in the second film to contrast Michael and Vito.

In the end, all I want is the exisiting versions, with ALL the deleted scenes. OK, give or take a few scenes...

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Alexander Kokotas] #402546
06/15/07 12:57 PM
06/15/07 12:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
This is a little off of the subject but it would have been interesting to have incorporated a young Hyman Roth into some of the flashback scenes.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: dontomasso] #402547
06/15/07 12:58 PM
06/15/07 12:58 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
This is a little off of the subject but it would have been interesting to have incorporated a young Hyman Roth into some of the flashback scenes.

You mean Johnny Lips?

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: ScarFather] #402548
06/15/07 12:59 PM
06/15/07 12:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

Huh???

They didnt think they were gonna make a GF2 right?.... it may have been planned that way AFTER(flashbacks)... it was a nice twist in writing and bringing it to the screen... GF2 is a great movie as a standalone without the flashbacks. IMO.

Your reply makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What does their not planning to make GFII have to do with them writing in the flashback scenes when they finally DID decide to make GFII? What does one have to do with the other?

It's quite obvious to anyone who has even an ounce of insight that the young Vito scenes go hand in hand with the Michael scenes. They back and forth scenes between then and now were made to compliment each other in paralleling the lives of the two main characters (Michael and Vito) in the storyline.

I don't follow your line of thinking here. Please clarify what you are really trying to say. Thanks.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: Don Cardi] #402556
06/15/07 01:22 PM
06/15/07 01:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

Huh???

Your reply makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What does their not planning to make GFII have to do with them writing in the flashback scenes when they finally DID decide to make GFII? What does one have to do with the other?

It's quite obvious to anyone who has even an ounce of insight that the young Vito scenes go hand in hand with the Michael scenes. They back and forth scenes between then and now were made to compliment each other in paralleling the lives of the two main characters (Michael and Vito) in the storyline.

I don't follow your line of thinking here. Please clarify what you are really trying to say. Thanks.

Ditto, DC. I don't understand his logic either.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: olivant] #402752
06/15/07 09:31 PM
06/15/07 09:31 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I dvr'd the recent airing of the Saga and just got to watching it. There was a quick scene that I do not remember seeing before, although it's been about 4 years since I last watched the Saga.

Immediately after Bonasera leaves, Vito whistles and reproaches Sonny, who was staring out the window. I believe Vito said, "Santino, are you paying attention?" The film never really got into the doubts Vito had regarding Sonny's ability to run the Family as compared to the novel.

Anyway, I thought that was a good 10 second scene and touch by FFC.

One annoying thing about recording the Saga (or anything much these days): these networks ruin the recording IMO with those annoying popup promotions for some other show they are promoting. Drives me nuts!

Re: The Godfather Saga....Thoughts? [Re: goombah] #402808
06/16/07 04:11 AM
06/16/07 04:11 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
The flashbacks are essential i believe.Its sought of like a comparison between father and son when they were roughly around the same age.It shows Vito's respect through fear and also love.But shows Michael's respect comes from just plain fear.

Also how they went about running their business's

Last edited by whisper the don from down under; 06/16/07 04:12 AM.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull