GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 127 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,977
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
When does Michael start to change? #385730
04/16/07 07:44 PM
04/16/07 07:44 PM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
When does Michael start to change from Joe College to Don Corleone?

I think its actually earlier than most think... I think its when he tells Kay about Luca Brasi and his father and the band leader. The way he tells it. It was like a swith was turned on. His eyes, his lethargic-like delivery.

thoughts?

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: ScarFather] #385863
04/17/07 12:14 AM
04/17/07 12:14 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, change may be the wrong word. He's a Corleone. He has the genetics. Maybe he was just waiting for a way to rationalize his entry into the business on his own terms.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: ScarFather] #385883
04/17/07 06:20 AM
04/17/07 06:20 AM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
 Originally Posted By: The_ScarFather

I think its actually earlier than most think... I think its when he tells Kay about Luca Brasi and his father and the band leader. The way he tells it. It was like a swith was turned on. His eyes, his lethargic-like delivery.

thoughts?

I think it's much later, when Michael proposes the idea of the having the gun planted at the restaurant. 'I'll kill them both. It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.' His eyes are completely expressionless and I think it's the birth of the monster.

Or it could be even earlier than that. I can't help thinking of the whole hospital scene, with Michael acting completely logically. Also in front of the hospital. Enzo is clearly nervous but Michael, although probably scared inside, projects an aura of calm.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Paul Krendler] #385894
04/17/07 08:26 AM
04/17/07 08:26 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I also think it was at the hospital. When he Says to Vito "I'm with you pop"

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Mignon] #385898
04/17/07 08:43 AM
04/17/07 08:43 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I agree also with his line to Vito, "I'm with you now pop". He's seen first hand how the business almost cost him his father. I think he puts away his boyhood ideals of the world. Also, when he lights Enzo's cigarette and he notices how calm his hands are it's like he realizes he's made for this world.

But the scene where he plots the McCluskey/Sollozzo murders, when the camera just slowly pans in on him is eerie. Sonny is still alive, but it's almost as if Michael becomes the Don at that moment.

Last edited by Beth E; 04/17/07 08:44 AM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: ScarFather] #385905
04/17/07 08:59 AM
04/17/07 08:59 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

thoughts?

In 1920, when he was born. It was his destiny.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: SC] #385921
04/17/07 09:41 AM
04/17/07 09:41 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

He decides after the shooting of Vito Corleone. I think it begins when he sees that Luca is dead and that Sonny and Tom wont cut it on their own. That's why he tells Kay to go back to New Hampshire BEFORE he goes to the hospital.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: dontomasso] #385934
04/17/07 10:23 AM
04/17/07 10:23 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Michael started to change when his father was shot. He progressively begins his transformation between the time that he arrives at the Corleone mall after learning that his father has been shot. He takes his tranformation a step closer when he tells Vito "I'm with you now."

But I've always felt that the real defining moment for Michael, the real moment that he decided to "jump into the life," is the scene in front of the hospital, when he takes the lighter from the Enzo the baker's trembling hands and lights his cigarette . He and Enzo had just faced death when those cars pulled up, and after they pull away Enzo, understandably is shaking uncontrolably. Michael takes the lighter and calmly lights Enzo's cigarette, and looks long and hard at calm he is holding that lighter. I think at the very moment Michael realized that he could live this "life" without any problem. That he was a natural at it. I think that many things ran through his mind at that moment. He also realized that had he not been there to stand outside and act like a bodyguard, his father would have been killed in that hospital. Mike, thinking all this knew that he now must get involved in order to save both his father's life and the family itself. And the McCluskey confrontation only served to confirm what Michael was thinking.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Paul Krendler] #385948
04/17/07 10:50 AM
04/17/07 10:50 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
 Originally Posted By: Paul Krendler

thoughts?

I think it's much later, when Michael proposes the idea of the having the gun planted at the restaurant. 'I'll kill them both. It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.' His eyes are completely expressionless and I think it's the birth of the monster.

Or it could be even earlier than that. I can't help thinking of the whole hospital scene, with Michael acting completely logically. Also in front of the hospital. Enzo is clearly nervous but Michael, although probably scared inside, projects an aura of calm.

This is EXACTLY it... the infamous lighter scene. At least, this is when we are aware of the transformation.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386310
04/18/07 11:38 AM
04/18/07 11:38 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
Michael was amazed at his own calm outside the hospital with the lighter, but that was a combination of many things - being a soldier, for one, being trained.

I think Michael really changed while in Sicily. First, by hearing the news of his brother Santino's death; second, when Michael was betrayed by his shepherd bodyguard and lost his beloved wife in the car explosion.

Back in New York, Michael did what he did to help save his father from Sollozzo - it was a necessary evil, and he knew he had the sack to do it. While in Sicily, Michael showed his sack again when he showed no fear in front of Appolinia's father at the restaurant, being so bold in his desires. Michael was a leader in many ways, but that is not necessarily the makings of a monster.

No, the monster started to form upon the deaths of his brother and his wife. The resentment of it; wanting to enact revenge - it all contributed to his coldness.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Buttmunker] #386356
04/18/07 02:27 PM
04/18/07 02:27 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
wow... so you believe that he had not changed, even after killing McCluskey and Sollozo as cold as he did, before Sicily??? I think the concept of "monster" is so relative to one's POV (in mine, Michael NEVER reaches the level of "monster"). So, maybe by your perception of this concept, Michael didn't achieve it till later, but the turning point of his character is, IMO, the scene in front of the hospital.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386396
04/18/07 04:38 PM
04/18/07 04:38 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
As I said, Michael did what he had to do to save his father, and he had the skill from being in combat during the war. He could have gone either way after the murders of Sollozzo and the Captain, I believe, because "it was just business, not personal." Just like killing Germans and Japs in the war was just business.

When his brother and his new wife (and unborn child) was taken away from him, that was the point of no return for Michael. There was no going back to Nice College Boy after that.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386414
04/18/07 04:55 PM
04/18/07 04:55 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
 Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
wow... so you believe that he had not changed, even after killing McCluskey and Sollozo as cold as he did, before Sicily??? I think the concept of "monster" is so relative to one's POV (in mine, Michael NEVER reaches the level of "monster"). So, maybe by your perception of this concept, Michael didn't achieve it till later, but the turning point of his character is, IMO, the scene in front of the hospital.

Michael did a number of terrible things, including having his brother murdered.

Just out of curiosity, what, in your POV, does one have to do to reach the level of "monster?"

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: The Last Woltz] #386465
04/18/07 06:41 PM
04/18/07 06:41 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, he started to change himself when he was about three years old. Before that his mother used to changed him. If he didn't change until after the War, I'd hate to think of the terrible time he would have had in the Marines.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: olivant] #386501
04/18/07 06:53 PM
04/18/07 06:53 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, he started to change himself when he was about three years old. Before that his mother used to changed him. If he didn't change until after the War, I'd hate to think of the terrible time he would have had in the Marines.

Just how long have you been in Texas, Mr. Olivant ?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: pizzaboy] #386549
04/18/07 07:53 PM
04/18/07 07:53 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Michael, although he killed to protect his father, might have gone back to his old life when he returned from Sicily. As someone posted above, he might have viewed those murders as a necessary evil to save the life of his beloved father. He might have been involved with the business on some level, but perhaps running legitimate interests (I've always thought that he and Sonny could have had a unique and wonderful partnership, each running their own "division"). However, once he lost Appolonia, there was no turning back from the life for him. He needed revenge.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: pizzaboy] #386550
04/18/07 07:54 PM
04/18/07 07:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Just how long have you been in Texas, Mr. Olivant ?

Almost since I got out of the service. Latter '67.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: The Last Woltz] #386718
04/19/07 11:34 AM
04/19/07 11:34 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
 Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

Michael did a number of terrible things, including having his brother murdered.

Just out of curiosity, what, in your POV, does one have to do to reach the level of "monster?"

Well, I simply say that to say that he had justification and logic behind all the moves he made. I think, overall, Michael was actually quite fair.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386726
04/19/07 12:12 PM
04/19/07 12:12 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
Michael allowed jealousy to affect his treatment towards Tom Hagen. That wasn't fair to Tom, considering Tom ate and breathed Corleone, and only wished to do his best towards the family.

Since Tom was close to both Santino and Vito, closer than Michael ever was, caused Michael to feel resentment and jealousy towards Tom.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386731
04/19/07 12:37 PM
04/19/07 12:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Well, I simply say that to say that he had justification and logic behind all the moves he made.

"SELF" justification is how I see it.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Buttmunker] #386774
04/19/07 02:40 PM
04/19/07 02:40 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
 Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
Michael allowed jealousy to affect his treatment towards Tom Hagen. That wasn't fair to Tom, considering Tom ate and breathed Corleone, and only wished to do his best towards the family.

Since Tom was close to both Santino and Vito, closer than Michael ever was, caused Michael to feel resentment and jealousy towards Tom.

Well... while this is a good point and I completely agree with this... truth be told, Tom is NOT his brother or Sicilian either, for that matter. So, while this may not be kind treatment, it is true. And I'm not really arguing whether Michael is "mean" or not (because I do think he is mean and harsh as well). But, as it relates to the life he chose, and his family has been a part of, for so long, he's just, basically, going "by the book".

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386785
04/19/07 03:38 PM
04/19/07 03:38 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
If Michael is going "by the book," then he is writing new chapters never dreamed of by Vito or even Santino.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Buttmunker] #386790
04/19/07 04:00 PM
04/19/07 04:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Frank, 99.9% of the time I agree with your assesments regarding the Godfather trilogy and it's characters. But this is one time that I must disagree with you in regards to Michael. Buttmonker hits the nail on the head when he says that Michael was writing new chapters never dreamed of by Vito.

In his mind, at the begining of his journey into the life, I believe that he believed that he was doing what was best for his family. And I also believe that he was trying to convince himself that he needed to do the things that he did in order to legitimize the family. But there was a streak of selfishness in Michael. A self serving egotistical trait. Michael grew to love the power. He let his lust for power consume him to the point that he couldn't even discern if he was doing right or wrong when it came to his own brother. And he fooled himself into thinking that he was a legitimate businessman. Michael eventually justified, at least to himself, every horrible thing that he ever did.

In the parameters of mobdom, his killing Sollozo and McCluskey was neccesary. His killing the heads fo the families was neccesary. Many of the moves that he made WERE neccesary in order for him to preserve the family and regain it's power.

But Michael reached a point that went beyond saving the family and perserving it's power. He became so consumed with weilding such power that he began to boarder paranoia! He eventually would do anything to make sure that no one would ever threaten his well being ever again OR take his power away from him. And even if it meant abusing and manipulating them (Tom) or killing them, own family or not.

Tom asked him if he felt he needed to kill everyone. And Michael replied, "just my enemies."

In Michael's mind, at that point, everyone was his enemy.

If as you say Michael was only going by the book, then he would never have seekd the redemption that he did by the time GFIII rolled around.

Don Cardi cool

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Don Cardi] #386800
04/19/07 04:18 PM
04/19/07 04:18 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Oh, correct! I agree that Vito wouldn't have written "the book" (Vito did alot of thing uncustomary to the rest of the members of the crime families involved). When I spoke of "going by the book", I was speaking in terms of "mobdom". I just can't bring myself to judge Michael on the same standards as the rest of the law-abiding citizen world when I KNOW he is, indeed, a mob boss. I tend to hold him to the standard of a mob boss and when I see him being refered to as a "monster", I have to relate to those terms, and I did not see Michael as being particularly excessive (although paranoid at times).

And YES, he wanted redemption by GFIII, but by that time, Michael had pretty much decided that he no longer wanted to go by this book.

With all that said... I do not see anything wrong with either of your (DC & Buttmonker) assessments. I just have a slightly different view.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: FrankWhite] #386803
04/19/07 04:26 PM
04/19/07 04:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

With all that said... I do not see anything wrong with either of your (DC & Buttmonker) assessments. I just have a slightly different view.

And as always, some good points.

Don Cardi cool

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Don Cardi] #386830
04/19/07 05:51 PM
04/19/07 05:51 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Frank, 99.9% of the time I agree with your assesments regarding the Godfather trilogy and it's characters. But this is one time that I must disagree with you in regards to Michael. Buttmonker hits the nail on the head when he says that Michael was writing new chapters never dreamed of by Vito.

In his mind, at the begining of his journey into the life, I believe that he believed that he was doing what was best for his family. And I also believe that he was trying to convince himself that he needed to do the things that he did in order to legitimize the family. But there was a streak of selfishness in Michael. A self serving egotistical trait. Michael grew to love the power. He let his lust for power consume him to the point that he couldn't even discern if he was doing right or wrong when it came to his own brother. And he fooled himself into thinking that he was a legitimate businessman. Michael eventually justified, at least to himself, every horrible thing that he ever did.

In the parameters of mobdom, his killing Sollozo and McCluskey was neccesary. His killing the heads fo the families was neccesary. Many of the moves that he made WERE neccesary in order for him to preserve the family and regain it's power.

But Michael reached a point that went beyond saving the family and perserving it's power. He became so consumed with weilding such power that he began to boarder paranoia! He eventually would do anything to make sure that no one would ever threaten his well being ever again OR take his power away from him. And even if it meant abusing and manipulating them (Tom) or killing them, own family or not.

Tom asked him if he felt he needed to kill everyone. And Michael replied, "just my enemies."

In Michael's mind, at that point, everyone was his enemy.

If as you say Michael was only going by the book, then he would never have seekd the redemption that he did by the time GFIII rolled around.

Well, what about his statements to Kay at the Commendatore celebration? He told Kay that he was trying to protect her and the kids from the horrors of the world. I'm not sure that such statements are consistent with any alledged pursuit of power as a prime motivation. I think, instead, that Michael was mimicking his father. He mistook Vito's wielding of power for simply having power.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: olivant] #387014
04/20/07 09:24 AM
04/20/07 09:24 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY

Well, what about his statements to Kay at the Commendatore celebration? He told Kay that he was trying to protect her and the kids from the horrors of the world.

I believe that Michael was trying to fool himself by saying that. He certainly wasn't fooling Kay.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Buttmunker] #387016
04/20/07 09:36 AM
04/20/07 09:36 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Well, what about his statements to Kay at the Commendatore celebration? He told Kay that he was trying to protect her and the kids from the horrors of the world.

I believe that Michael was trying to fool himself by saying that. He certainly wasn't fooling Kay.

I agree. He was only trying to convince himself, again displaying self justification for what he was doing and planning to do. And with Kay, Michael thought that he could still manipulate her and tell her things like this to ease her mind. Michael thought that he could still use his controlling ways on Kay, but he would soon find out that she was not the same Kay that she was when he first took over the family.

Don Cardi cool

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Don Cardi] #387017
04/20/07 09:39 AM
04/20/07 09:39 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
The same thing happened in III when Michael said that he was thinking of Kay all the time while he was away in Sicily.

Kay: Then you got married.

Michael: (slight pause) Still thought of you.

In III, Michael can't tell lies the way he used to. Michael's whole existence began crumbling around him, mainly because he stopping being able to lie to himself about his deeds.

Re: When does Michael start to change? [Re: Buttmunker] #387018
04/20/07 09:42 AM
04/20/07 09:42 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Absolutely correct. How is getting shot at in your bed being protected?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull