GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ciment), 401 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,518
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,447
Posts1,061,120
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? #379108
03/26/07 03:07 PM
03/26/07 03:07 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

When Moe Green tells Michael that the "Corleone Family don't have that kind of muscle anymore....and they were being chased out of New York by the other families" what did he mean?

I realize the deaths of Luca and Sonny and the war overall weakened the Corleones, but it would also have weakened the other families. The way Moe talks about Barzini makes you think the Corleones were so weak they were about to fold.

I know in the novel there is extensive discussion about Michael wanting the family to look weak, and how he hid the building of the Neri regime even from Tom --- but sticking to the movie, were the Corleones weaker than the other families by this time? I can see maybe weaker than Barzini, but not the others.
Any thoughts?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: dontomasso] #379109
03/26/07 03:23 PM
03/26/07 03:23 PM
LI, NY
ConnieCorleone Offline
Wiseguy
ConnieCorleone  Offline
Wiseguy
LI, NY
I think it was a prevailing thought that the Corleone family appeared weak in the string of events that started with the hit on Vito, like Sollozzo said, "would I be able to get to him 10 years ago?" When Sonny's murder wasn't avenged and the family's control started to shift to Michael, I guess there was some serious underestimation on his qualifications for becoming the head of the the family. Add this to Moe slapping around Fredo and the moving of the Coreleones to Nevada, outwardly it could have been seen as a decline in power?

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: dontomasso] #379110
03/26/07 03:55 PM
03/26/07 03:55 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
When Moe Green tells Michael that the "Corleone Family don't have that kind of muscle anymore....and they were being chased out of New York by the other families" what did he mean?

True, the Corleones were not at the peak of their power, and the other families were chiseling away at them a little. But there is no evidence to support the contention that they were being "chased out of New York."

But keep in mind what he says right after that statement. "I talked to Barzini." I think that's the source of his fatally wrong impression of the Corleone family.

And you know Moe, headstrong, talking loud, saying stupid things. Not smart enough to objectively evaluate the information Barzini is feeding him.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: The Last Woltz] #379111
03/26/07 04:18 PM
03/26/07 04:18 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that Michael and Vito purposely gave the impression that Michael was a much weaker man than his father. Even Tessio underestimated him, and Tessio was pretty smart. If even the caporegimes believed that Michael was allowing the other families to muscle in on their territories, why wouldn't Moe Greene believe that they were weak and making the move out to Nevada to start over?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #379115
03/26/07 04:26 PM
03/26/07 04:26 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Good explanation SB... especially about how they were chiselling Tessio and Clemenza's territories...and they WERE complaioning that pretty soon they would have nothing left to build on. SO maybe they alllowed pthers to think they WERE being run out of New York.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #379127
03/26/07 05:35 PM
03/26/07 05:35 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I think that Michael and Vito purposely gave the impression that Michael was a much weaker man than his father. Even Tessio underestimated him, and Tessio was pretty smart. If even the caporegimes believed that Michael was allowing the other families to muscle in on their territories, why wouldn't Moe Greene believe that they were weak and making the move out to Nevada to start over?

Exactly right SB. And if I might add, I believe that the Corleones really WERE a bit weaker than in the past. Vito and Michael knew this. So while there may have been some truth to their losing SOME power, they used what was partially true to make it appear worse than it was. This bought them some time. It allowed them to re-group, re-build and at the same time see who would remain loyal to them and who would not. It was their way of manipulating this partial truth to their own benfit. Buy some time and then when everything is in place, strike unexpectantly like a thief in the night.

Vito's plan was to train Michael. The more time that he could buy to cultivate Michael, the better it would be in the long run.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #379149
03/26/07 06:19 PM
03/26/07 06:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with all the above answers. Plus, Moe was an out-of-control, bombastic thug who was, as noted, "headstrong, talking loud, saying styu-pid things..." He'd be prone to gross exaggeration, particularly when provoked. His bombast would be designed to try to intimidate Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Turnbull] #379160
03/26/07 07:13 PM
03/26/07 07:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I agree with all the above answers. Plus, Moe was an out-of-control, bombastic thug who was, as noted, "headstrong, talking loud, saying styu-pid things..." He'd be prone to gross exaggeration, particularly when provoked. His bombast would be designed to try to intimidate Michael.

Kind of like Bugsy Siegel was in real life. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #379403
03/27/07 01:23 PM
03/27/07 01:23 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

[quote=Don Cardi
Kind of like Bugsy Siegel was in real life. ;\) [/quote]

Yeah, but Moe Green didn't look anything like Warren Beatty.

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: dontomasso] #379404
03/27/07 01:24 PM
03/27/07 01:24 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Yeah, but Moe Green didn't look anything like Warren Beatty.

Or Bugsy Seigel himself for that matter!

Don Cardi cool

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #379442
03/27/07 03:30 PM
03/27/07 03:30 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
I also think that besides the fact that Michael did not grow up being groomed as a Don as Sonny might have, the other Dons did not feel intimidated by the short and skinny Michael. Sonny was tall and muscular, with his temper, he was very intimidating. Vito proved throughout his Donship that he should not be reckoned with. Michael, being short, may have caused the others (including Moe Green) to be biased and underestimate him.

Nothing against short people, just a thought. I'm on the short side myself.

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Sopranorleone] #379513
03/27/07 07:16 PM
03/27/07 07:16 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone
I also think that besides the fact that Michael did not grow up being groomed as a Don as Sonny might have, the other Dons did not feel intimidated by the short and skinny Michael. Michael, being short, may have caused the others (including Moe Green) to be biased and underestimate him.

I do not agree with that assessment at all. Michael's physical appearance had absolutely nothing to do with the other families not feeling intimidated by him.

It had to do with the Corleones making them believe that they were very weak. They probably also underestimated Michael because in their minds he was not, like Sonny, groomed for the position. He was really looked upon as a civilian and therefore was perceived by the other families as being inexperienced for the position of Don and what he was about to deal with. They took Vito's appointing Michael as head of the family as a sign of weakness. That turned out to be a fatal mistake on their part.

His physical size had nothing to do with how they perceived him and the Corleones.

Don Cardi cool

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Sopranorleone] #379514
03/27/07 07:20 PM
03/27/07 07:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone
I also think that besides the fact that Michael did not grow up being groomed as a Don as Sonny might have, the other Dons did not feel intimidated by the short and skinny Michael. Sonny was tall and muscular, with his temper, he was very intimidating. Vito proved throughout his Donship that he should not be reckoned with. Michael, being short, may have caused the others (including Moe Green) to be biased and underestimate him.

Nothing against short people, just a thought. I'm on the short side myself.

Go tell that to the 50 or so people in Philadelphia that are pushing up daisies because they didn't fear Nicky Scarfo.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: pizzaboy] #379518
03/27/07 07:28 PM
03/27/07 07:28 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Go tell that to the 50 or so people in Philadelphia that are pushing up daisies because they didn't fear Nicky Scarfo.

Or Meyer Lansky ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #379552
03/27/07 09:32 PM
03/27/07 09:32 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
I was just thinking along the lines of, if Arnold Schwarzenegger and Mini Me were in the running for the head of a company, in appearance only, the company might look stronger with the person with more powerful attributes. I think that is part of the reason they chose the character of Michael to look so, so that he looks harmless and innocent when he is quite the opposite.

Also I do believe height plays a factor, studies have shown that taller entry level workers get paid more than below average height entry level workers.

Just my thoughts. \:\)

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #379648
03/28/07 09:31 AM
03/28/07 09:31 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

His physical size had nothing to do with how they perceived him and the Corleones.

Agreed DC. While in many things "size matters," when it comes to mob bosses it doesnt. Hyman Roth had to wear elevator shoes to talk to Michael, and Phillip Tattaglia, "the pimp" wasn't exactly a candidate to play center in the NBA.

Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: Don Cardi] #387389
04/21/07 10:46 PM
04/21/07 10:46 PM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
Always remember that many great politicians in history are not tall.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: what did he mean? What Did Moe Green Mean? [Re: wtwt5237] #387788
04/23/07 01:32 PM
04/23/07 01:32 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I think when Moe Green says "I talked to Barzini... I can make the deal and still keep my hotels" THAT lets Michael know that Moe is in bed with the Nemesis of his father.... leading to what Michael would have to eventually do... take care of the 5 families.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull