GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Turnbull), 214 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,966
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,678
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,548
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,902
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Ice] #347030
11/30/06 03:27 PM
11/30/06 03:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Vito tells Luca that he's a little worried about this Sollozzo fella. Okay, take his statement for what it's worth. But my point has been that it was unrealistic for Vito to expect that anyone on the other side was going to believe for a minute that Luca was dissatisfied being on Vito's team. In the novel, Luca tells Sollozzo that he would never go against the Vito. Still, I'm not buying it. The other side of Luca never going against Vito was Luca never failing to go for Vito. Vito was too intelligent to think that anyone would be fooled by Luca's charade and he surely should have realized that his enemies could have eliminated Luca at any time which would significantly impugn Vito's ability to defend the family.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: olivant] #347032
11/30/06 03:31 PM
11/30/06 03:31 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
So why then would he send Luca on a suicide mission?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: dontomasso] #347035
11/30/06 03:40 PM
11/30/06 03:40 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
it makes no sense. Vito didn't know Luca would be killed. He just didn't. there's no way. If he knows this... what is his incentive??? He has none. No gain. Only the loss of his best and most valuable soldier.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: FrankWhite] #347036
11/30/06 03:46 PM
11/30/06 03:46 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite

Well, Ice, are you implying that Vito's POV is "If there's gonna be war, here's my general. Take him out so that we can hurry up and get this started???"

Right but remember the war only starts when Sonny strikes Bruno Tattaglia. Sollozo did not intend on having a war, he intended on assassinating Vito to place Sonny on the throne.

Vito would prefer to avoid the war by avoiding his own assassination. If Vito can avoid being hit, then there will be no war. Tattaglia could not outfight Vito, and if Barzini jumps in to fight an unprovoked war then Vito would have the support of the other five families. Unfortunately, Sollozo(this outsider) did get to him, and THEN Santino starts the war.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: FrankWhite] #347037
11/30/06 03:54 PM
11/30/06 03:54 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
it makes no sense. Vito didn't know Luca would be killed. He just didn't. there's no way. If he knows this... what is his incentive??? He has none. No gain. Only the loss of his best and most valuable soldier.

Again Frank, the only way Sollozo can win is to assassinate Vito. He can't win a war against him.

With Luca's killing, Vito would know that his assassination would be next on Sollozo's list. If he could avoid this, then any 'war' that Sollozo might want to start would be a futile attempt.

EDIT--Of course, Sollozo plays it perfectly and gets them both on the same day. Before Vito can find out that Luca has been hit(thus knowing a hit on himself is coming) Sollozo gets him too.

Last edited by Ice; 11/30/06 04:01 PM.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Ice] #347047
11/30/06 05:14 PM
11/30/06 05:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I guess my point is that I think that both Puzo and FFC erred in writng and illustrating the Luca scenario we are discussing for the reasons I've given. Also, sending Luca was a error by Vito; it was foolish for him to have done so given everyone's knowledge of Luca's devotion to Vito and also for not realizing that Luca COULD get killed in the process.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: olivant] #347063
11/30/06 06:36 PM
11/30/06 06:36 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
I guess my point is that I think that both Puzo and FFC erred in writng and illustrating the Luca scenario we are discussing for the reasons I've given. Also, sending Luca was a error by Vito; it was foolish for him to have done so given everyone's knowledge of Luca's devotion to Vito and also for not realizing that Luca COULD get killed in the process.

Barzini and company probably knew that 'straight laced' Vito would not go for the plan or anything else that Tattaglia had his prints on. Vito might have even seen it as obvious false attempt, after all, who would ever think Vito would go in w/ Tattaglia? So, Vito may have already had suspicions that he might be an assassination target when the Turk first calls on him. So.....Santino's display of dissention put the Don in a GREAT bind!!! Vito may have already been a marked man from the beginning. With Sonny's slip he is in REAL TROUBLE!!!( A world of sh*t!)

So..... he dispatches Luca. If Sollozo has plans on whacking Vito he could not and would not resist the temptation to whack Luca. This whacking of Luca would tell the don to take cover.

Last edited by Ice; 12/01/06 03:15 AM.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: DonRoberto] #347064
11/30/06 06:42 PM
11/30/06 06:42 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DonRoberto
why didn't Corleone save Luca for war with the Turk? Certainly, his desire to kill for the Corleone's would have been a more desireable utility than his use as a temperature guage for Sollozo's intentions.

Keep in mind that Tattaglia/Sollozo could have never dreamed of a war against the Corleones muscle. Barzini's involvement would only serve to worsen the situation b/c this is an unprovoked conflict. The other families would support the Corleones in order to avoid a long, destructive war.

Sooo...the Turk's hit on Vito was ESSENTIAL and had 2 possible objectives.

1.) Vito is killed and Sonny takes the deal.

2.)Vito is killed and hot head Sonny strikes back at the Tattaglias. Thus, starting a war that the others would support the Tattaglias in in order to avoid a long, destructive war.

(The Turks hit on Vito would be overlooked b/c he is an outsider, Tattaglia would not be held responsible. But Sonny's hit on Bruno Tattaglia would not be overlooked, and Sonny would be held responsible.)

Last edited by Ice; 11/30/06 06:50 PM.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Ice] #347068
11/30/06 07:36 PM
11/30/06 07:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Today at 05:36
Originally Posted By: Ice
PM So..... he dispatches Luca. If Sollozo has plans on whacking Vito he could not and would not resist the temptation to whack Luca. This whacking of Luca would tell the don to take cover.

Keep in mind that Tattaglia/Sollozo could have never dreamed of a war against the Corleones muscle. Sooo...the Turk's hit on Vito was ESSENTIAL and had 2 possible objectives.

1.) Vito is killed and Sonny takes the deal.

2.)Vito is killed and hot head Sonny strikes back at the Tattaglias.

Very Interesting observation here Ice. Sounds very similar to a post that I made about 5 minutes before yours. I guess that great minds think alike, huh?

Today at 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
That Is exactly why I feel that Sollozzo, Tattaglia and Barzini knew that in order for them to increase their odds of defeating the Corleones, Luca Brazi, the Don's greatest ally, had to be taken out first. No matter if they believed Luca was switching sides or not, it was a chance that they could not take because with Luca out of the picture, it would give them a better chance at defeating the Corleones.

Take out Luca and try to take out Vito, then the hotheaded Sonny would either deal with them or act out of haste and lose his own life, and the Corleone's would be done.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Altobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Don Cardi] #347098
12/01/06 01:35 AM
12/01/06 01:35 AM
DonRoberto Offline OP
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline OP
Wiseguy
I think it is possible that Luca was taken out because Tattaglia was insulted that Luca wouldn't drink bicardi.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Don Cardi] #347107
12/01/06 02:43 AM
12/01/06 02:43 AM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss

Very Interesting observation here Ice. Sounds very similar to a post that I made about 5 minutes before yours. I guess that great minds think alike, huh?

Or I've been cheating off my neighbor's paper again!

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Ice] #347138
12/01/06 08:03 AM
12/01/06 08:03 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Ice

Or I've been cheating off my neighbor's paper again!

Key word being "again."

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: yAltobello's "trap" for Vincent [Re: Don Cardi] #347162
12/01/06 01:33 PM
12/01/06 01:33 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss

Key word being "again."

Oops I can't believe I pulled a Fredo!!
But yeah, its all about the cut and paste DC, you know that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull