GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Liggio), 663 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,671
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,492
Posts1,061,852
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NFL Free Agency #274727
03/14/06 03:40 PM
03/14/06 03:40 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline OP
Turi Giuliano  Offline OP

I keep popping in this sports forum and it's killing me I can't take part in Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Nascar and bloody fishing topics. There's brief satisfaction in the soccer topics but they don't last long. But now free agency has begun and I know a few of you enjoy this time of the year (Goombah, Iceman et al.).

Free agency, after a wee delay, kicked off a few days ago and in big style. The Cards, 'Skins and Browns have already made their intentions in FA clear and with their cap room it doesn't look like they'll slow down yet.

Apparantly ESPN's and NFL's websites are reporting Culpepper has been traded to Miami for a 2nd rounder (this year or next?) and Brees took the money route in New Orleans.

Baltimore tricked everyone re-signing Lewis. After shopping Lewis around and then signing Anderson it didn't look like Jamal had a future with the Ravens.

Hopefully more to come, though I know the Steelers wont be making too many waves.

(Not long until the draft too )

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: NFL Free Agency #274728
03/14/06 06:04 PM
03/14/06 06:04 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I like that we picked up Culpepper. I'd rather have a guy with a knee injury than a torn rotator cuff. Culpepper will be stepping into his old system here, and I see good things happening with Chris Chambers, Ronnie Brown, Randy McMichael, and others.

...and possibly Terrell Owens? He has been hanging around here for a couple of months now, and he even said he would love to come here when we get a QB. We got one.

I'm happy. The Dolphins got a steal in trading for only a 2nd round pick. Anyway, the Dolphins have the best QB under center in 6-7 years. This finally could get them over the hump.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: NFL Free Agency #274729
03/16/06 07:20 AM
03/16/06 07:20 AM
Butters Offline
Wiseguy
Butters  Offline
Wiseguy
The Dolphins are a team on the rise. I think they could very well challenge New England for the top spot in the AFC East this season. However, I wonder where Gus Frerotte will go. He'd make a good veteran backup for any team, though he did pretty well as a starter last season.

After acquiring Brees from free agency, it appears the Saints aren't going to pick Leinart in this year's draft--unless they plan to sit Leinart for a year, which is highly unlikely. Now it's a toss-up as to where Leinart goes to. It's probably going to be either the Tennessee Titans or the New York Jets.

It could be Tennessee, considering that Norm Chow, who worked extensively with Leinart when he was in USC, happens to be the offensive coordinator. However, the Tennessee staff appears to be impressed with Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler after the Senior Bowl and the NFL combines.

The Jets are unsure about the status of Chad Pennington, after he underwent arm surgery, and they've asked him to take a pay cut.

On another note, I wonder what the Patriots' plans are. They lost David Givens, Willie McGinest, and Adam Vinatieri to free agency. At any rate, the Patriots are going to lose alot of key players. There was an tidbit on CNNSI that debated the possibility of the Patriots signing Keyshawn Johnson, who was released by Dallas. Bill Belichick has had no problem in dealing with formerly problematic players (Corey Dillon) so Johnson, despite his behavioral issues, could wind up in New England considering their lack of depth at the WR position.

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." - Michael Corleone, Godfather: Part II
Re: NFL Free Agency #274730
03/16/06 08:08 AM
03/16/06 08:08 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Well, the Dolphins are trying to resign Gus for next year, just at a lower price, which is good seeing as he is a pretty good backup.

I got a feeling he will resign. He said at the beginning of last year that if Miami doesn't work out, that's it for him. So he'll probably give in.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: NFL Free Agency #274731
03/16/06 09:29 AM
03/16/06 09:29 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

No doubt the Dolphins are a contender for the AFC East. Both the Bills and Jets are in shoddy shape (despite some "decent" FA pickups for the Bills, including Tripplett from the Colts).

I'm really hoping the Bills pick up Winston Justice from USC in the OT position (the guy is massive) or Haloti Ngata at DT, since we couldn't get Pickett from the Rams, he signed with Green Bay. I think we need Justice more though, because our offensive line is pitiful. Thank God we cut Mike Williams, who absolutely sucks (thanks, Jacksonville, for picking him up. Get ready for a year of injuries and no effort, along with gaping holes in pass protection).

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with Marv Levy so far, he's made some good, smart moves. That doesn't mean I'm excited...we're definitely finishing at the bottom of the conference, especially if the Jets get Matt Leinart.

Secondly, and this doesn't relate to free agency (though I wouldn't mind seeing Frerotte in Buffalo), we need to start J.P. Losman. It is obvious that our team is in a development stage, and this win-now crap is just not going to happen. Kelly Holcomb is a mediocre journeyman backup, and will never lead a team to the playoffs. Losman is untapped potential - we're never going to find out how good he is until we actually give him time to play (and no, I don't mean Mike Mularkey putting him in for four or five games and pulling him because Eric Moulds bitched).

Let him play the entire season, and then we can decide whether he's worth the effort. He showed flashes of greatness last year against the Dolphins in particular (but we still managed to blow it, courtesy of Mike "I don't know how to handle all this media pressue" Mularkey).

Re: NFL Free Agency #274732
03/16/06 01:45 PM
03/16/06 01:45 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I like the way free agency has wrought some change to the draft. I think Brees' signing certainly opens the door for the Jets to nab Leinart. If I were Houston, I'd take Vince Young over Bush. It will be interesting to see if Indy makes a trade to nab a top-notch RB with the departure of James. I don't see Dominic Rhodes stepping in the same way Edge did when Faulk was dealt back in 1999. If Indy gets into the top 15, they still have a good shot at Lendale White, which would be interesting.

He's only been a free agent for less than 48 hours and I'm already completely sick of the Terrell Owens talk. We all know what will happen - he'll act good for a bit and then resort to his normal idiotic self. And if this guy criticized Garcia and McNabb, what will he say about Bledsoe, a QB clearly on his last legs (should TO sign with Dallas)? But the Parcells-TO fueds have the potential to get nice and ugly.

Anyway, I'm excited the Browns landed the best lineman in free agency with LeCharles Bentley and I'm glad we also signed Willie McGinest. I still can't believe Culpepper went to Miami. I don't know who he expects to throw to out there except Chambers.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274733
03/16/06 02:55 PM
03/16/06 02:55 PM
Butters Offline
Wiseguy
Butters  Offline
Wiseguy
I wonder if the Patriots will go for a receiver in the first round of the draft. If guys like Ohio State's Santonio Holmes and Florida's Chad Jackson are gone by the time they pick, they'll probably go for Notre Dame's Maurice Stovall, given Bill Belichick's coaching experience with Charlie Weis.

I think this is the logical choice since the Pats don't seem to be aggressively pursuing any big-name receivers (Reggie Wayne went back to Indy, Joe Jurevicius to Cleveland) during this free agency period, and will lose a bunch of their wide receivers (namely David Givens and I think, Troy Brown) from last year.

Being a Notre Dame fan, it's obvious that I'd root for Stovall, but to be realistic, some NFL guys might be suspect because he's only had one good year; that is, in which his talents were properly used. I think what gives him a major advantage is that he's a very reliable possession wide receiver and he's more than capable of making some pretty key blocks downfield(notably one that set up Anthony Fasano to score a touchdown versus Tennessee). Regardless, I think he'll make a very reliable receiver in the pros.

With regards to Fasano, I think he's making a pretty huge mistake entering the draft considering that this year's crop features a pretty strong Tight End draft class; guys like Vernon Davis, Leonard Pope, and Marcedes Lewis will be entering the draft.

EDIT: According to MSNBC , the Lions just signed former Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown. The clincher in this is that the Lions already had signed Jon Kitna earlier this week.

I wonder if this EFFECTIVELY signals the end of Joey Harrington, at least for his tenure in Detroit, that is.

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." - Michael Corleone, Godfather: Part II
Re: NFL Free Agency #274734
03/18/06 10:00 AM
03/18/06 10:00 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
I like that we picked up Culpepper. I'd rather have a guy with a knee injury than a torn rotator cuff.
Excellent pickup. I think both players will come back strong though. I've read Culpeppers rehab is coming along at a "freakish" rate. Which is what he needs after doing the triple knee ligament injury. The 'Phins showed they weren't going to be a pushover and played strong late last year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Butters:

On another note, I wonder what the Patriots' plans are. They lost David Givens, Willie McGinest, and Adam Vinatieri to free agency. At any rate, the Patriots are going to lose alot of key players.
The talk was the same last year and they were still a contender. I refuse to rule out this team until they are out.

DJ, I agree, give JPL the season at least. He's a first rounder for christ sake. Either let the guy learn on the bench or name him the starter. Chopping and changing isn't good for anyone. I also wonder how Rivers will do, both entering their third season.

Goombah, I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts recently but since last week there's been quite a bit of changes. I can't see Houston taking a QB since re signing Carr. I always thought they should trade down (should get more than what the Giants gave for Manning - another 1st round QB and a 1st rounder for this years draft) and sort out the O line. But how can you resist passing on Bush? He'd be a ticket seller. It looks less likely that the Jets will draft a QB in the 1st round after signing Ramsey and restructuring Penningtons contract. Unless they don't have faith in Penningtons recovery they'll be competing for the starting spot.

Haven't really heard much about TO except the Dallas rumours. Update: ESPN report the move looks like it's as good as done bar a few discrepancies.

The Browns are scaring me. They made some good moves last year and it's continuing this year.

As I was checking all the teams free agency signings (geek that I am) I noticed Tennessee are having a good offseason. Givens, Hope (bastards), Thornton and Mawae (though I don't know how long he will go on for). Then they'll be drafting an impact player. Young and Leinart would be good fits, Young for his link to McNair and Leinart with the Chow connection.

Oh yeah and NFL Europe kicks off later today. Can't believe it though, no channel is showing it over here this year, not even a highlights show.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274735
03/18/06 10:47 AM
03/18/06 10:47 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:

Oh yeah and NFL Europe kicks off later today. Can't believe it though, no channel is showing it over here this year, not even a highlights show.
That seems pretty stupid, considering its target audience is...Europe.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274736
03/18/06 11:37 AM
03/18/06 11:37 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

You wouldn't believe how frustrated I am with this. Forgive me for whining but just be glad I didn't start a seperate thread for this. Until last year we got a game and highlights of the others a week. Last year we only got highlights. I think since losing the Claymores British interest has dropped so now we've got nothing. It's huge in Germany though, European channels are showing it but I've no access to it.

Sure I can keep upto date on the net but it isn't the same. Statistics alone aren't a good way to evaluate players.

At least Mike Carlson (God) is covering the sport again for NFL.com. The guy knows everything about football.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274737
03/18/06 11:49 AM
03/18/06 11:49 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Maybe you could get some sort of satellite TV and get ahold of the broadcast from Germany?

Re: NFL Free Agency #274738
03/18/06 12:29 PM
03/18/06 12:29 PM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

I've got satillite TV, hundreds of channels but still no NFLE. I even subscribe to extra channels dedicated to American sports that are based over here but they're not showing anything either. If I was into college basketball I'd be a happy fella, it's on all day.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274739
03/18/06 12:35 PM
03/18/06 12:35 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I know the NFL Network here (on satellite) is showing the NFL Europe games...do you get that channel?

Re: NFL Free Agency #274740
03/19/06 04:08 AM
03/19/06 04:08 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Well it's official Terrel Owens has just signed with the Dallas Cowboys.

Oh good grief!

But hey this is good news Terrel Owens will change his ways and help lead Dallas to a superbowl title and will have a great relationship with Bill Parcells, and Drew Bledsoe.

Ok all kidding aside hearing this news is like knowing a big train-wreck will happen and not being able to stop it.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274741
03/19/06 01:55 PM
03/19/06 01:55 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Holy shit. If Terrell Owens couldn't get along with a top 5 quarterback like Donovan McNabb, I can't wait to see him with Drew Bledsoe. Though Bledsoe is known for not spreading the ball around, so I suppose if he throws to TO on every play, there might not be any issues. :p

Re: NFL Free Agency #274742
03/19/06 09:36 PM
03/19/06 09:36 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Yeah it's going to be interesting to say the least. Terrel Owens had a problem with Donovan McNabb, who I'm sure we'll all agree is a better QB than Bledsoe. I can just imagine the problems that'll spring to life between Bledsoe, & Owens.

Owens has complained if he doesn't get the ball enought times, and Philly is a pass happy team, while Parcells loves the running game.

Let the train-wreck begin.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274743
03/23/06 08:07 AM
03/23/06 08:07 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

With the Arizona Cardinals matching our offer to Reggie Wells, I saw yesterday that Larry Allen was released by the Cowboys. I still think he's one of the best in the game...I'd love to see Buffalo try and get him.

Because it looks like we're going to end up taking Haloti Ngata at DT, since Pickett signed with the Packers. Which is fine, Justice seems to have some discipline problems, and Marv Levy is known for factoring character and such into his decisions when he coached, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills take the highly-touted "phenom" at DT.

But that means we're still going to have to find some more high-profile FA's...isn't Jason Fabini still available?

Re: NFL Free Agency #274744
03/23/06 08:43 AM
03/23/06 08:43 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

Larry Allen is 34 and surely has a few years left in him, he's still one of the strongest in the league. He's going to be coveted by many teams. Rumours the Cowboys will re sign him too.

I'd hate to be the player to follow Vinatieri's kicks in New England. Imagine the drama if a few kicks are missed - especially game winning ones.

You know what story I'm bored of? Brett Favre's retirement. Every bloody year. And I really like the guy, in fact he's been my favourite QB since I've been into the game. I don't want to see him leave the NFL but I also don't want to see what he was like last year. He looked so downbeat in press conferences. But do we really need a new story each week saying he still hasn't decided on his future?

I'm not surprised someone's taken a gamble with Brooks. He's a decent QB but just makes too many mistakes. But I was surprised it was the Raiders. I really felt they'd be using their round one pick on a QB. With only the Titans and Jets (bar any trades) likely to take a QB before them that'd probably leave them Young. Maybe it'll still happen, apparantly Brooks has been told he's not a guaranteed starter.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274745
03/23/06 09:07 AM
03/23/06 09:07 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

There is still the hotbed surrounding the Saints and the Dolphins picks, correct?

Favre annoys me now - I mean, I like him, don't get me wrong, but if he thinks his team isn't putting a winning group of 21 other guys on the field, then either ask for a trade or retire. He's got an amazing about of pull in Green Bay.

In other news, the Bills signed Craig Nall...I wonder if he could end up being our starting QB. :p

Re: NFL Free Agency #274746
03/24/06 12:11 PM
03/24/06 12:11 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:

You know what story I'm bored of? Brett Favre's retirement. Every bloody year. And I really like the guy, in fact he's been my favourite QB since I've been into the game. I don't want to see him leave the NFL but I also don't want to see what he was like last year. He looked so downbeat in press conferences. But do we really need a new story each week saying he still hasn't decided on his future?
Couldn't agree more. What's the drama - will he or won't he come back to a bad team? He's a great QB - but it's not like he's debating retirement from the defending champion.

The only retirement story that's worse is Roger Clemens. Go away already Rocket. You're one of the greats, but why should a team allow you to only play when you feel like it? Besides, when was the last time you pitched great in the playoffs - 2001?

Retire, play with your kids and wait 5 years for Cooperstown to call. Enough already. Or do you enjoy having your 17 year old kid launch a HR off of you in spring training which you follow up with throwing your own kid a brush back pitch?

Re: NFL Free Agency #274747
03/30/06 11:36 AM
03/30/06 11:36 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Wow. The Bills are still fucking stupid. Now the news out of One Bills Drive is that they aren't going to go after Ngata at all in the draft. Which I suppose is good, since they could go after D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Winston Justice. But still...their explanation is completely retarded. According to insiders, Jauron doesn't feel Ngata can penetrate the line, and wants to run a Cover 2 defense ala Indianapolis and Chicago. But then - they aren't even talking about getting Winston Justice. Supposedly Marv Levy is high on this kid Michael Huff, a safety...yet, we just signed the former Redskins safety, we still have Troy Vincent, and we still have Coy Wire, who got shafted when Lawyer Milloy came into town a couple of years ago.

Grr! Why are you guys so focking stupid!

Newsflash: You have to stop the run, dumbass. What better way to do it than with a phenom at DT who can penetrate the line like Ngata? He's 6'5'' and over 300 lbs. Trust me. He'd penetrate the line just fine, especially with Larry Tripplett as his opposite. We've already got Aaron Schobel, who is a speedy DE, and Chris Kelsay also developed well last year. Our problem is stopping the run, especially since, in our infinite wisdom, we got rid of both Pat Williams in 2005 and now Sam Adams.

Also - more rumours that J.P. Losman is officially on the trading block from "two NFL insiders." Granted, the sources are listed as fired Bills GM Tom "Who Needs an Offensive Line" Donahoe and Mike "Let's Try Another Useless Trick Play That We Can't Execute" Mularkey (btw - thanks Miami, I can't wait for you guys to appreciate the ineptitude of this man).

And then Dick Jauron, in the Buffalo News yesterday, comes out with this didactic statement:

Quote:
"He had to play a lot last year, and it was thrown on him early," Jauron said.
Duh...you fucking moron. Starting 4 games, playing decently for an inexperienced rookie, and then getting yanked in favor of journeyman Kelly Holcomb doesn't exactly foster positive player development. Perhaps if you guys actually, oh, I don't know, let Losman get the game experience (no, 4 games does not a veteran quarterback make) he needs and name him the starter. Please. If he can't hack it this season, fine. But get it through your head - Buffalo does not have the ability to hang with teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina. You still need at least another year to get the offensive line stronger, fix our defensive holes, and get your QB situation in order.

Granted - I like Craig Nall, but if Losman doesn't get a chance, how the fuck are you ever going to know whether he'll be a decent QB?

Double-J as a Bills fan --->

Re: NFL Free Agency #274748
04/01/06 08:31 AM
04/01/06 08:31 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

Smokescreen, DJ. I think every mock I've seen have the Bills taking either an O or D lineman. D'Brick would be good but he'll be gone by 8th(?).

Re: NFL Free Agency #274749
04/08/06 09:45 AM
04/08/06 09:45 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline OP

Well I was hoping for a Favre decision today. As usual he's put it off. I did find this Onion.com-like article that was humerous though: http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/favresperm.html?8334

Re: NFL Free Agency #274750
04/09/06 01:59 AM
04/09/06 01:59 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Like you Turi I'm getting tired of this "will he or won't he retire?" talk.

Come on Favre you have nothing left to prove just make a damned decision already. :rolleyes:

Man if I was a higher up individual with the Packers I'd be getting real pissy about now concerning Favre and his inability to make a decision.

Re: NFL Free Agency #274751
04/10/06 08:37 AM
04/10/06 08:37 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Smokescreen, DJ. I think every mock I've seen have the Bills taking either an O or D lineman. D'Brick would be good but he'll be gone by 8th(?).
All the scouts probably can't guess what our retarded front office will do anyways. Now I hear that they are planning on trading down for a lower pick...

I think I' slowly becoming a Giants/Jets fan the way my NY team is going :p