GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (VanillaLimeCoke, Liggio), 214 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,940
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,645
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,540
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,483
Posts1,061,665
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223366
04/08/05 10:10 PM
04/08/05 10:10 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline OP
XDCX  Offline OP
X

California
From Gamespot.com

Godfather film director whacks Godfather game

Francis Ford Coppola is none too pleased with Electronic Arts' adaptation of his classic mob movie.

When Electronic Arts announced it was adapting The Godfather last year, many cinephiles wondered how the operatic mafia drama would translate into a game. Then this year, it was revealed that Robert Duvall, James Caan, and the late Marlon Brando had all recorded voice-overs for it. The involvement of the stars gave the project a big boost in the credibility department, raising hopes for the game.

Now, however, the man primarily responsible for The Godfather film is speaking out against the Godfather game. According to several wire services, writer-director Francis Ford Coppola expressed his displeasure with Paramount Pictures for selling off the game rights on the American Movie Classics cable network show Sunday Morning ShootOut.

"I knew nothing about it. They never asked me if I thought it was a good idea," he reportedly said. His ire was further riled when he was given a preview build of the game by EA. "They use the characters everyone knows, and then for the next hour they shoot and kill each other. I had absolutely nothing to do with the game, and I disapprove," he was quoted as saying.

The Godfather game is slated for a fourth quarter 2005 release for the PC, PSP, Xbox, and PlayStation 2. EA, its developer and publisher, has said it will be rated "M" for Mature. GameSpot's previous coverage has more information on the film adaptation.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223367
04/08/05 10:42 PM
04/08/05 10:42 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Great.....juuuuuust great...

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223368
04/09/05 03:13 AM
04/09/05 03:13 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
There was going to have to be a time when this game was made. Hopefully it's alright.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223369
04/09/05 12:08 PM
04/09/05 12:08 PM
New Jersey
don vencent Offline
Underboss
don vencent  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
WoW

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223370
04/09/05 12:54 PM
04/09/05 12:54 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I don't understand why he disapproves. Is it cuz they didn't ask his permission or something? I think it is great. I can't wait for it to come out.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223371
04/09/05 01:12 PM
04/09/05 01:12 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
He disapproves because he always tried to make the trilogy more about the characters and less about the killing and sex.

This game, from beginning to end is all about gaining respect for killing people and Coppola probably thinks that EA is destroying The Godfather.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223372
04/09/05 07:17 PM
04/09/05 07:17 PM
california
Tom Offline
Capo
Tom  Offline
Capo
california
Quote:
Originally posted by Moscarelli:
He disapproves because he always tried to make the trilogy more about the characters and less about the killing and sex.

This game, from beginning to end is all about gaining respect for killing people and Coppola probably thinks that EA is destroying The Godfather.
It's a video game of course theres only gunna be action but its not from beginning to end about about gaining respect from killing people. From what I read you gain respect from the decisions you make not always involving murder. Coppola is probably mad because he won't get any money for the game.

"Well at first like everybody else I, I was a soldier."
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223373
04/10/05 02:41 PM
04/10/05 02:41 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
well, I'm sure he is a little mad because he didn't get any money, but he is always disappointed when people look at The Godfatehr as just another action movie.

You can go through the entire game shooting people, and that is not what The Godfather is all about, at least in Coppola's eyes.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223374
04/11/05 09:17 AM
04/11/05 09:17 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm very excited about the game. EA knows how to make good games (see Medal of Honor, any sports game) and if they've hired the original actors for the game then it gets my seal of approval. I'm sure FFC has an agenda here since he wasn't involved and didn't get any money from it.

That said, if FFC is upset about it, then he needs to make a Part IV and show us all what The Godfather franchise is about!

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223375
04/11/05 12:49 PM
04/11/05 12:49 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
That said, if FFC is upset about it, then he needs to make a Part IV and show us all what The Godfather franchise is about!
That's a good point, DBC. We can only hope that this will motivate Coppola to make another Godfather. I am sure Paramount would love to-what with all the publicity The Godfather is getting, it will make money. And, where there's money, there's studio executives...

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223376
04/14/05 05:50 PM
04/14/05 05:50 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Most all movie-themed games suck. I'm not really expecting much out of this one, and I'll probably be as disgruntled as Coppola if I rent it.

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223377
04/14/05 06:27 PM
04/14/05 06:27 PM
Philadelphia
The Irish Mafia 28 Offline
Capo
The Irish Mafia 28  Offline
Capo
Philadelphia
I saw something about this on "Celebrity Justice". It said that EA doesn't even need his permission because it wasn't in his contract or something. I am kind of excited for it to come out. I don't think that the movies would be ruined because of a game. Why should I let a game change my opinion on a movie?

"If you did so good exposing us, Donnie, whyzit you and your family gotta live a coverup for the rest of your lives?"
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223378
04/15/05 07:16 AM
04/15/05 07:16 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Maybe the rest of the world dissaproves of Godfather Part III when it was only made purely for financial reasons - eh Francis?

He's got a right to an opinion but he's got to remember his past actions.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223379
04/15/05 08:04 AM
04/15/05 08:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Coppola is probably mad because he won't get any money for the game.
Ding Ding Ding..... I think we have a winner!

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223380
04/15/05 11:01 AM
04/15/05 11:01 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by Tom:
[b] Coppola is probably mad because he won't get any money for the game.
Ding Ding Ding..... I think we have a winner! [/b][/quote]NO sorry, I don't buy that for one moment.

For a director like Francis Ford Coppola it isn't about the money. It is about taking something that he worked hard on and fought tooth and nail to make in his own way, sold off to be used in a way that Coppola doesn't care for.

Like any writer, that sells their novel to a studio and then doesn't like the changes that that the studio may take once they take charge.

Francis Ford Coppola is the father as far as I am concern. They are his children. So when the studio took the money it was like selling his children into prostitution. Much like Vito said to Michael, I never wanted this for you. I say Coppola never wanted to see his worked made into this.

After all, if you listen to the DVD and hear him talk, he has included so much of his own family ways into the picture.

It is not the money for Francis Ford Coppola, It is personal this time.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223381
04/15/05 02:18 PM
04/15/05 02:18 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
It is not the money for Francis Ford Coppola, It is personal this time.
Yeah, sure, just like GF III was made for his personal satisfaction.

Like I'm gonna argue this point with someone who has Coppola as his avatar. :rolleyes:

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223382
04/15/05 02:45 PM
04/15/05 02:45 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
If Mario Puzo was here today, he would reserve the right to be more angry if he dissaproved.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223383
04/15/05 03:11 PM
04/15/05 03:11 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by fathersson:
[b] It is not the money for Francis Ford Coppola, It is personal this time.

Like I'm gonna argue this point with someone who has Coppola as his avatar. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Argue, why must it be in the form of an arguement?

In a soft tone:

Sure, maybe GF-III was made for the money. But who really knows if it was forced by the studio back then. I don't remember hearing anywhere that it was Coppola who begged to make the film, or that he needed the money. In fact I thought it was Paramount who twisted his arm to make it because they needed the film.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223384
04/15/05 03:29 PM
04/15/05 03:29 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Coppola's arm was twisted by Paramount to make The Godfather III, and yes, it was made almost completely for financial reasons, but Coppola still put every ounce of himself into the film. He and Puzo wrote the Corleones in the direction that they wanted. If they were going to write the movie just to be assured a big income, they would have had a lot more sex and violence.

Same with the previous two. Coppola never conformed to "what America wants". He always did what he felt was suitable. He is only mad, and rightfully so, that this movie is being taken to a place that Coppola, the living creative genious of The Godfather (the dead one beiong Puzo), doesn't want.

While I will be buying the video game, and am excited about it, I do feel for Coppola, and understand his anger. I mean, I don't know if they tried, but it would have been great to have Coppola as a consultant on the game, rather then Winegardner.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223385
04/15/05 03:35 PM
04/15/05 03:35 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Great words, SC. (As always.) How can he complain that somebody's ruining the Godfather for money, when GF3 cries to heaven!
Money rules this world, and just wait, as GFR was published, the GF4 will be filmed. And Antony will be bisexual, and Fredo's illegitimate daughter will be in love with him...
Optimism, actually, is the lack of information...

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223386
04/15/05 03:46 PM
04/15/05 03:46 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:

Same with the previous two. Coppola never conformed to "what America wants". He always did what he felt was suitable.
The worst thing about GF2 and 3 is that he was caring too much for "what America wants", instead of caring for the characters.
And he made GF3 because his own "American Zoetrope" was near bankruptcy.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223387
04/15/05 04:06 PM
04/15/05 04:06 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Well, JustMe, that is your opinion. He at least claims that he wrote the screenplays because he felt that it was best, and I believe him.

But, just because he made the film because he was running out of cash, doesn't mean that he wrote the story just to make money. Again, if he was doing this, there would be MUCH more sex and violence. The Godfather III is very un-Hollywood; it was what Coppola and Puzo wanted.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223388
04/16/05 03:29 PM
04/16/05 03:29 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Well, JustMe, that is your opinion. He at least claims that he wrote the screenplays because he felt that it was best, and I believe him.
This is not my opinion, it's well known... I could provide you links to the discussions of this subj, but I'm sure you're sick from my links already and don't read them. :p
Quote:

But, just because he made the film because he was running out of cash, doesn't mean that he wrote the story just to make money. Again, if he was doing this, there would be MUCH more sex and violence. The Godfather III is very un-Hollywood; it was what Coppola and Puzo wanted.
They never wanted to make this movie, and when they were forced to, they didn't know what to squeeze out of themselves.
Actually, I don't care for it's being Hollywood or un-Hollywood, I'm not sure that either is a measure of quality. I care for it's being un-Godfather.
Again, I don't care for the quantity of sex and violence, but i'd appreciate if there were less of incest and general stupidity. Sex and violence, if well made, would be much more appropriate.
But anyway, this debate takes us nowhere, I think, because we've agreed already that we disagree completely.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223389
04/16/05 04:49 PM
04/16/05 04:49 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
JustMe, this is hardly a discussion as to how good The Godfather III was. This is about Coppola and whether or not he made this specific story just to make the money.

Yes, he did make the movie just because he was in need of money. But, out of all the roads he could have taken with the Corleones, he chose what he thought was best. He could have killed off Michael right at the beginning and see how the Family copes afterwards. He could have made another assasination attempt on Michael and spend the movie acting on revenge. He could have made it a family movie and throw in a few Disney characters.

But he didn't.

He chose what he chose because he saw that it best fit the trilogy. Now, whether or not you disagree with him is a differnt story. But I don't see how you can say that Coppola chose the content of the screenplay just because of his money problems.

I am not sure if you are understanding this part, so I will try to be more clear. There are many formulas out there that both movie executives and some directors believe in, that are "guarenteed" to pull in a lot of customers. Most of these formulas include a lot of sex and a lot of violence. None of these, I believe, have anything to do with your main character being repentful and forming an alliance with high ranking officials in the Italian government. I am not saying that Coppola made a good choice in writing The Godfather III the way he did. All I am saying is, he could have written it to be "guarenteed" a bigger income, but he didn't. He wrote, along with Puzo, the entire trilogy because he felt that it was where the movie should go, even if he didn't want the movie to go anywhere at all at times.

And, P.S., I often enjoy your links, as they only help me to understand the board and the subject better.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223390
04/17/05 02:09 AM
04/17/05 02:09 AM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
justme...they weren't forced to do anything..and ffc wasn't drained of money the way you think he was...bare in mind that a year later he would release dracula. and remember that he was gonna let marty scorcease direct it.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223391
04/17/05 04:15 AM
04/17/05 04:15 AM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
well, I'm sure he is a little mad because he didn't get any money, but he is always disappointed when people look at The Godfatehr as just another action movie.

You can go through the entire game shooting people, and that is not what The Godfather is all about, at least in Coppola's eyes.
Remind me when this classified as an "action" movie. We are speaking of the film in which the studio almost brought in a second director, because the film did not have enough action in it, are we not?

There was occasional action, a minimal amount for a crime-drama, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean, they loaded Scarface with action to make it hold the attention of its viewers (whom must've all been diganosed with adult ADD), and as an end result, it sucked.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223392
04/18/05 09:17 AM
04/18/05 09:17 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by mr. soprano:
justme...they weren't forced to do anything..and ffc wasn't drained of money the way you think he was...
I don't think, I read it, I believe in several different places. And they were forced by studio. They hated the idea.
Quote:
But I don't see how you can say that Coppola chose the content of the screenplay just because of his money problems.
Where did I say that?
I don't say that he chose the screenplay because of money. I said that the movie was made because of money, othervise he'd never consent to return to the franchise. He had many versions of the script. He planned that Mike and Kay will have sex. (what's with that poor guy her husband? ) And there was a funeral of Michael even filmed already. And in the beginning, when they simply didn't know what to write, they had a version where Antony would take over the corleone Family, will be recruited by FBI and will fight some Latino-American dictator...
When Pacino asked too much, FFC said he'll just begin the movie with Michael's funeral.
So it was of no importance for him what it will be all about. Sure he did not do it in a way attractive to the audience, but then, it didn't attract. Compare its boxoffice success. Would you pay to see incest and someone repenting something endlessly? I wouldn't. And I'm not alone.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223393
04/18/05 12:32 PM
04/18/05 12:32 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[quote]Originally posted by Moscarelli:
[b] well, I'm sure he is a little mad because he didn't get any money, but he is always disappointed when people look at The Godfatehr as just another action movie.

Remind me when this classified as an "action" movie. We are speaking of the film in which the studio almost brought in a second director, because the film did not have enough action in it, are we not?

There was occasional action, a minimal amount for a crime-drama, and I wouldn't have it anyway. I mean, they loaded Scarface with action to make it hold the attention of its viewers (whom must've all been diganosed with adult ADD), and in the end it sucked. [/b][/quote]Exactly, LLC, I agree. I am afraid you misunderstood me. I meant that in the eyes of many, this movie was just a movie about killing people. I don't see it as that, but others do. And this game, will only inforce that.

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe: [quote]Originally posted by Moscarelli:
[b]But I don't see how you can say that Coppola chose the content of the screenplay just because of his money problems.
Where did I say that?
I don't say that he chose the screenplay because of money. I said that the movie was made because of money, othervise he'd never consent to return to the franchise. He had many versions of the script. He planned that Mike and Kay will have sex. (what's with that poor guy her husband? ) And there was a funeral of Michael even filmed already. And in the beginning, when they simply didn't know what to write, they had a version where Antony would take over the corleone Family, will be recruited by FBI and will fight some Latino-American dictator...
When Pacino asked too much, FFC said he'll just begin the movie with Michael's funeral.
So it was of no importance for him what it will be all about. Sure he did not do it in a way attractive to the audience, but then, it didn't attract. Compare its boxoffice success. Would you pay to see incest and someone repenting something endlessly? I wouldn't. And I'm not alone.[/b][/quote]I agree. This movie wasn't made for the audience. But, from what you say, its a little odd that Coppola pretty much didn't care where the film was going, yet he didn't conform to a certain area in order to be guarenteed a bigger income.

However, I can still see why he is mad that people are taking his story and doing something that he doesn't want done. I would be mad too.

Re: Francis Ford Coppola disapproves..... #223394
04/18/05 05:08 PM
04/18/05 05:08 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Exactly, LLC, I agree. I am afraid you misunderstood me. I meant that in the eyes of many, this movie was just a movie about killing people. I don't see it as that, but others do. And this game, will only inforce that.
Ah, alright. Then, I agree with you.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull