GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, joepuzzles234, Toodoped), 655 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,437
Posts1,060,983
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Missing Scene from GF I? #24274
10/17/01 12:34 AM
10/17/01 12:34 AM
Richmond, VA
Hyman Roth Offline OP
Wiseguy
Hyman Roth  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Richmond, VA
Hello,

I'm a new member proud to be among devoted fans of this great epic. I received the DVD collection last Thursday, but was waiting to watch the first film with a friend. Tonight I couldn't wait any longer and watched it with the FFC commentary through the attempted assassination of Vito. I immediately noticed the scene where Vito asks Fredo to summon Paulie for the car is missing from this DVD version. However this scene is in the VHS version from 1997 (which I own). Was this scene added in '97 in part with the 25th anniversary release? Was this originally only seen in the "saga" or "trilogy" series? IMO the betrayal of Paulie is weak in the original film. One would think that Sonny is just guessing who betrayed his father without reading the book or seeing the "saga". Without that scene with Vito and Fredo it's even weaker. So later when Paulie shows up and Sonny asks him if he's ok, there's no reference.

confused

Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24275
10/17/01 12:43 AM
10/17/01 12:43 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
There is an outtake from Part I, which should be on your bonus disk, that shows Sonny getting a call in his father's office from his man in the phone company, confirming some numbers Sonny asked him to check out. The call confirms Paulie as the traitor. Sonny says to Michael, "Whose brains do we blow out? Clemenza's or Paulie's?" Michael says, "Not Clemenza." Sonny says (to Tessio)"See? Bright college kid. It was Paulie..."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24276
10/17/01 12:54 AM
10/17/01 12:54 AM
Richmond, VA
Hyman Roth Offline OP
Wiseguy
Hyman Roth  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Richmond, VA
There is an outtake from Part I, which should be on your bonus disk, that shows Sonny getting a call in his father's office from his man in the phone company, confirming some numbers Sonny asked him to check out. The call confirms Paulie as the traitor. Sonny says to Michael, "Whose brains do we blow out? Clemenza's or Paulie's?" Michael says, "Not Clemenza." Sonny says (to Tessio)"See? Bright college kid. It was Paulie..."

Yes, I know. I'm speaking from the original film itself, not the outtakes that later appeared in the "Saga" or "Trilogy". I know the outtakes exist of Sonny making arrangements after "the Don" was shot. But those never appeared in the original film. I'm wondering if the Vito and Fredo scene inside Genco was in the original film or not.

Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24277
10/17/01 09:29 AM
10/17/01 09:29 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I just checked my DVD, and the scene you referred to is in it. It was also in the pre-'97 VHS videotape of the theatrical release of Part I. I agree that, if the Don/Fredo/Genco scene had been deleted, Sonny's selection of Paulie as the traitor would have lacked justification. But the Don/Fredo/Genco scene nicely points the finger at Paulie.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24278
10/17/01 01:16 PM
10/17/01 01:16 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally posted by Hyman Roth:
I immediately noticed the scene where Vito asks Fredo to summon Paulie for the car is missing from this DVD version.

Yeah, it's in there...

JG

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24279
10/17/01 02:01 PM
10/17/01 02:01 PM
Great, let me repeat that, Gre...
D
Don Noledge Offline
Underboss
Don Noledge  Offline
D
Underboss
Great, let me repeat that, Gre...
I've always thought that the scene with Vito and Fredo discussing Paulie was in every version, as its in every copy of The Godfather i've got...

noledge

"If you win you win. If you lose you still win. Theres no way you can lose." Joey - Raging Bull
Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24280
10/17/01 05:14 PM
10/17/01 05:14 PM
Richmond, VA
Hyman Roth Offline OP
Wiseguy
Hyman Roth  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Richmond, VA
Everyone's right and I'm wrong. I thought that scene was after Luca was murdered, and I panicked. I probably went to the fridge while it was playing. Since I had the FFC commentary on I didn't have any reference point. Sorry for the silly post.

frown

Re: Missing Scene from GF I? #24281
10/18/01 09:31 PM
10/18/01 09:31 PM
B
Brookfalls Offline
Wiseguy
Brookfalls  Offline
B
Wiseguy
I think the most important bonus scene is after the wedding when the Don takes all of his sons (including godson) to see Genco in the hospital. Without it, one never understands how Tom becomes consigliere. Remember, at the wedding, Michael tells Kay that Tom is going to become consigliere, but there's no way of knowing who is then the consigliere, or how Tom actually moves up. Also, when the Don comes home from the hospital, and Sonny and Tom have an argument on their way downstairs, Sonny yells, "Pop had Genco, look what I got." Unless you read the book, or see this bonus scene, or watch GF2, you have no idea who Genco is. Finally, when the Don asks Michael about the "Christmas decorations" on Michael's uniform, it sets up the tension between the Don and Michael, while Michael is still an outsider.

For these reasons, I think this scene, of all bonus scenes, should have been part of the body of the movie. Other bonus scenes, while they add to the story, are not so vital to the story as this one.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull